Still having brisket problems--gotta try something new, I guess

About that smoke ring, just out of curiousity, are you using some kind of oil or oil-based product to help the rub adhere to the meat? Rubs and spices are oil-soluble and I'd been using canola to help it stick to the meat and penetrate down into it. The downside is it seems to block the formation of a smoke ring, which I confirmed on a recent rib cook. I did two racks, prepped and cooked identically. I used a mustard slather on one and oil on the other, with everything else equal. The oil ribs had a faint pink ring. The mustard ribs (garden-variety French's yellow mustard) had a much deeper, redder ring. Only one cook so I can't confirm this, but just a thought.

Yes, I use EVOO, but I do the same thing with the meats I cook on my stick burner too, and I have not problems with the smoke ring. This is a cook I just did this week on my offset, and I rubbed the ribs with EVOO to help the rubs adhere... http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?52606-Co-Workers-Get-Together

I'm guessing with those times you're cooking at 225-250?

Yeah, I'm definitely missing the jiggle factor in mine.

Peter, yes I always cook between 225-250. The WSM is easy to keep in that range for a long time, and my offset loves 250, and I can maintain that just by adding an additional log of wood about every 45 mins to an hour. More tending, yes. But I like it like that sometimes. :cool:

I agree, the WSM loves to hang out in the 225-250 range without any work. I'd love to learn how to cook with a stickburner at some point, but feeding a fire overnight when I have guests coming over the next day is kinda low on my priorities list :). In fact, I use a Stoker to add an extra layer of help during overnighters.

So you're saying then that 5-6 hours on the grill and another 5-6 in butcher paper is the key to an evenly-cooked-throughout packer brisket? I've tried using foil and no foil, and neither gives me what I'm after.

Last edited:
Sometimes you can cook a brisket just right and it will still be dry in the flat. This usually happens if the flat is really thin and or void of fat/marbling. Injecting could possibly help. If you want a better smoke ring try putting on your rub about 4-6 hours ahead of time, it's never failed me... that I can remember :)

Back