Steven Raichlen's BBQ U featured on Bobby Flay tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd seen another show on BBQU, so when I dozed off and missed most of Flay's visit I wasn't too disappointed.

For $2,500 I think I'd buy $1000 worth of butts, ribs, and briskets to practice on. By the time I finished, I'm sure I'd be just as good a cook as if I had completed Raichlen's course, I'd have eaten $1000 worth of bbq, and I'd have $1500 to buy more bbq toys with.
icon_wink.gif

That's funny, Larry---just said that to a friend on the phone. I said I think I could try every single recipe in his book (or several of his books) and buy lots of beer (having noticed there was some beer flowing at BBQ U) and even pick up some new equipment with that money. Plus...it's only 9 to noon for three days (!). How did they have time to do a brisket with those short days??

I think a (rather lavish!) week long bicycle trip I took that went thru Burgundy cost less than that, and boy oh boy was THAT good eats!

9-12! Three Days! $2500!
You've got to be kidding.

Oh.. um.. nevermind. It's only $277.78 per hour (per person). It must be a gov'ment contract.

Here's what the site sez:

The ballots are in and the winner is ... BBQ University! That's what the Food Network reported in its special on the Best Barbecue Experience in America, which aired in June, 2003. BBQ U was #1! That's not all-two weeks later, the Food Network ran a 1 hour special on the school and the phones have been ringing off the hook ever since.

As a result, we're pleased to announce four sessions of BBQ University with an all new curriculum, in 2004. The new dates are May 2-5, June 13-16, August 22-25, and September 19-22.

Founded by multi award-winning author and TV host, Steven Raichlen, BBQ University offers a complete course in the techniques of barbecuing and grilling. This year's curriculum will feature highlights from year 2 of Steven's PBS TV show, BBQ University, taped on location at the Greenbrier, and schedule to launch in April, 2004.

The course takes place at the historic Greenbrier resort on 6500 gorgeous acres in the Allegheny Mountains of West Virginia. Our "campus" is Kate's Mountain, a mountainside lodge with state of the art teaching kitchen with close circuit TV, and an outdoor "burn" area equipped more than two dozen smokers, wood and charcoal burning grills, and high-end gas super grills.

The program begins on Sunday night with an authentic West Virginia pig pickin'. The classes take place the next three days from 9 a.m. to noon in our indoor-outdoor classroom. The classes cover all the major barbecue food groups-smoke-roasted prime rib, Memphis style baby backs, beer can game hens, cedar planked salmon-with plenty of instruction on how to grill everything-and we mean everything, literally from soup (grilled corn chowder) to nuts (coco loco brulee).

Students learn by not only by watching, but by actually taking turns at the grill. Raichlen's classes are "less about correction than inspiration," observed Bon Appetit Magazine. "Kate's Mountain Lodge, about a half-mile from the main hotel, is wood-beamed, wood-paneled, wood-burning," with a world-class selection of smokers and grills. Classrooms don't get any better than this," wrote Travel & Leisure Magazine.

Afternoons and evenings, participants get to take full advantage of the other Greenbrier amenities, which include three Sam Snead designed golf courses, tennis, mountain biking, horseback riding, and treatments at the world-class spa. The program ends with graduation and a diploma ceremony. And best of all, no one gets kicked off this mountain!

Below are the dates and costs for the various programs. The course makes a terrific present for that special guy (or gal), and there are special rates for non-cooking companions. We also do a limited number of special private courses for corporate retreats.

R
Here are the dates for 2005:

May 3-6
May 12-15
June 12-15
Sept 4-7

Single Attendee $2351.90
Double Attendee $3094.96
Double Occupancy (1 attending and 1 not) $2606.30
Double Occupancy (1 attending and 1 golfer) $2959.28
Double Occupancy (1 attending and 1 tennis player) $2717.60

It's supposed to be a lot of fun.

lol, I saw that too, thats too funny. Those people must have money buring a hole in thier pockets.

Did you notice that EVERYONE passed the test at the end? for $2500 everyone had better pass...lol

Was Bibby Flay even at The Greenbrier??
icon_confused.gif
I don't remember. I do remember on one of Raichlen's web sites where he actually beat Flay and some others in a cookoff (not sure if it was BBQ).

Anyway, I was looking at the recipes from the show and the brisket one had an ingredient I'd never thought of for BBQ sauce...salsa.
icon_eek.gif

Actually, a lot of the segments on the BBQ w/ BF don't have him in the segment itself...he is voicing over. Watch next time and see how many he's in and how many he's talking over!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back