Step Drill Bit

Jim M

I'd like to make a couple modifications on my WSM, but I don't want to shell out $40 for a step bit. I don't think I would use it again.
Has anyone found a cheaper way to drill?

jim, i thought the same thing.... butt i bought one anyway and i am really surprised at how many times i HAVE used it...
you may want to re-consider... :)

I bought a 2 pack of step drill bits for $10 at harbor freight. They were very sharp and did a good job. So far, I only used them a couple of times.

I can't speak of other brands, but Ive had the original Irwin Unibit since the 80's and it still cuts like butter after a lot-ta abuse on my part (3/8-1/2" steel door frames no problem)
I know what Bob's saying, You could buy a decent cheap drill bit set and just start out with a smaller bit than change up in steps, or buy a hole-saw for whatever size you need.

Tim

I bought a uni bit from a location equivilent to Harbour freight here in Ontario. I have not used it except for the two domes where I added a second vent but that is the way to go. Once you have the inital hole which I drilled with a separate bit, it just flew through the metal one size at a time and did not damage the porcelain nor did it bind up at any point. To me it was a good investment and the result was like factory.

If your just looking to do a few bolt holes just get a couple large self tapping screws from the hardware store. It will cost you less than a buck.

That's where I got mine.

I probably will eventually replace my Weber gauges with Trutemps or something similar with a longer stem, but I just moved the gauge to one side, about the same distance from the top as the two vents. I'm not relying on them, though. I finally took my Dremel tool and cut a slot in my big WSM for my ET-73 probe wires. I've got grommets on my 18.5, but wanted to see if I could make things a little easier.

Jim M
Consider this as an example
IMG_0518.jpg
[/IMG]
It has the Guru grommet and you can use a candy style therm 2", 4" or whatever otherwise buy a permanent therm and cut it in along with the second vent.

Last edited:
Just start with a small size drill bit and work your way up to the correct size..........................d

Back