Steamer pot in the UK?

Dave Stevens

TVWBB Member
I'm desperate to build a mini WSM or mod a Jumbo Joe, but I'm struggling to find a pot over here. Can't find the Vasconia anywhere. Does anyone have a link to something online in the UK. I know it's a long shot but maybe someone can help.

The ones that I've found online that may fit are just too expensive.

Cheers

Dave

Last edited:
You might have to go with a steel stock pot...try some of the flea markets and see if anything shows up. ;)

...or if you know some people from a metal workshop that might be able to weld one up fer you. :D

I struggled, in the end used a 36litre stainless stock pot from Makro cash and carry. The induction compatible base means it's thick and tough to cut out.

That's not outrageous for a stainless pot but for another $12 US you can get a Vasconia already to go with the bottom removed & mounting hardware shipped to the UK.

Unfortunately, there is no inexpensive way to ship internationally any longer. The Post Office really raised their rates a couple of years ago. Fed-x and UPS will give a lower quote but will nail the recipient with hefty customs and brokerage fees.

That's not outrageous for a stainless pot but for another $12 US you can get a Vasconia already to go with the bottom removed & mounting hardware shipped to the UK.

Thanks Phil,

who sells that? Is that the link on this site?

I'm hoping that Simon will confirm how well the Macro pot fits and maybe post some photos of his build. There's a Macro nearby but I don't yet have the Smokey Joe, still deciding on which version to get and try and find one used.

Cheers
Dave

but I don't yet have the Smokey Joe, still deciding on which version to get and try and find one used.

Dave - look on eBay - there are always SJs going cheaply there - it's just a matter of finding one close to you...
or...there's a 18"/47cm WSm going for ~£90 right now in Nottingham

This is so frustrating, I'm desperate to start a mini wsm but can't find a suitable pot anyware, any update on the one from macro.

A dealer in the UK should step up and place an order with Sonex.
I wish we had them in the States as well.
They are the nicest looking pots for the SJ conversion, IMO.

A dealer in the UK should step up and place an order with Sonex.
I wish we had them in the States as well.
They are the nicest looking pots for the SJ conversion, IMO.

Well I would not get too excited about Sonex.The Sonex brand is imported to Australia. Kind of.
I could find very little on the web about Sonex in Australia, but Head Office is in Pakistan, and they do have a web site. Kind of.
So after a bit of looking, this appears to be 'the pot'. http://sonexcookware.com.pk/product_image/1321618151.jpg
So I then emailed Sonex in Pakistan, and got a prompt reply from their export department, advising of their Australian Importer, and his contact details.
Also the Export Department sent a copy of my email to the Australian Importer with my request for price and availability.
This was encouraging.

Then came the best game of 'Cheese Shop' I have played in years.

I also sent an email to the Australian Importer (and a copy to the Export Department) requesting price/availibility.
A week passed, nothing.
So I phoned. Much confusion at the other end. I think this was caused by my actually wanting to buy something.
I gleened that it seems that Sonex tend to sell their pots in sets i.e. you have to buy more than one to get the pot you want.
To get the '6' I would have to buy a set including a '7' & '8' as well.
Thats OK, I said, (well you can't have too many cooking pots in the kitchen), but I want a 'Traditional' No. '6' 28 Ltr pot, and on the web site, No. '6' is the largest pot in the 'Traditional' series, there are no No. '7' or '8' pots. (No.7 & 8 do exist in other sets)
"O, you want the traditional" was the reply.
"Yes" was my optimistic reply, I followed with, "Could you please tell me the price and availability, or where I could buy a set of "Traditional" containing a'Traditional' No. '6' 28 Ltr pot.
I then received their masterful reply, "O, the boss is away today, you will have to ring tomorrow. He will be here tomorrow. Good-by."

OK, game on, I thought.

So the next day I phone the Australian Distributer again.
This time I get straight through to 'the Boss'. He immediately acknowledges that he did get a copy of my email and the email from his Export department in Pakistan, he did not reply to me as it would have 'obviously' too expensive to ship a pot to me, as I lived on the other side of Australia.
???????
Good play, but I countered by advising him that I had just imported a Vasconia pot from the USA, which cost $70USD freight, and that I was aware of the cost of freight in Australia. (I stopped short of informing him of something called 'Australia Post')
Then he hit me with "We have no stock till the container arrives in one month."
I returned with "Fine, could you please tell me the cost" (of a set or one pot, whatever)
Then came the staggering "How many would you want to buy?"
I reeled from this blow. " One pot or set to start with to make sure it fits the purpose, then another 5 or 10, depending on the cost. How much do they cost?" I shot back.
Then came his master play, "O, the accountant has just gone home, I cannot tell you, I will telephone you tomorrow. I will also try and phone my friend who has a shop in Sydney and see if he will sell you one, I promise I will ring you tomorrow"

Me "You will ring tomorrow"
Boss Man "Yes, Good-by"
Me "Thank you for your help, and I look forward to your call."

I immediatly confirmed our telephone conversation, and his promise to phone "Tomorrow" by email. (and sent a copy to the Export department in Pakistan, including a link to Sian's excellent build on this site, pointing out that people were trying to buy the Sonex pot in the UK and also having problems...)

So, as you would think, tomorrow has now been and gone, and I am still awaiting a phone call. Kind of.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil,

who sells that? Is that the link on this site?

I'm hoping that Simon will confirm how well the Macro pot fits and maybe post some photos of his build. There's a Macro nearby but I don't yet have the Smokey Joe, still deciding on which version to get and try and find one used.

Cheers
Dave

Hey Dave,

The pots and other accessories are available here;
http://www.ihaveadotcom.com/cart/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=137

Shipping outside of the US is expensive but arrive pretty promptly. I ship them out within 24 hours via Priority Mail with tracking.

I am a very happy customer of Phil S. Excellent communications, quality product at the right price.

Freight is a killer, but the only WSM we can buy here in Oz is the 18.5" @ $699AUD. ( $1.00 AUD = about 0.90USD). SJSs cost $99AUD, and SJGs are currently not sold.

I have no hesitation in recomending his service.

I think I might have found one of the Sonex pots. I just called a local Indian store and they said they definitely had the 28 litre pot. Fingers crossed! might head over later and pick a couple if the price is right.

Getting excited about finally building a mini now!

I hope you do find one (or more) Dave- it must feel like winning the lottery.
How crazy is this.....

p.s. still waiting for my phone call.....

Have you guys tried this PHIL.S he's a forum member and ships overseas. He has the right pot with the bottom cut out and one rack installed for a very fair price. It won't be cheap to ship the pot because when you add the L+W+H of the box it will be over 36" which makes it mandatory priority mail. Still cheaper then buying a new 14.5 WSM.

Back