Steaks with a Mushroom & Onion Gravy

Curtis M

TVWBB Fan
Picked up a couple Striploin Steaks from my local butcher today.

Rubbed them with some Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper.
photo11_zpsab301cc1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

It was a nice night for grilling, according the Fastest Orange Thermapen there is... 34 degrees, about (or is that A-Boot) 2 degrees for us Canadians.

photo21_zps31505d72.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Got the 22" OTG set up indirect with my cast iron grate from my POS Gasser and tossed 'em on...

photo3_zpsc1338b29.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I let them sit and be happy while I got some firewood ready for the house and chilled with a cold beer in the backyard. After the steaks reached an internal of 124, I moved them over to the 'hot side' of the grill and cooked them for about a minute, flipping them three times.

Got some good marks on them; not my best, but they were going to be covered with my mushroom/onion gravy...

photo4_zpsbca38021.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I then pulled the steaks off, covered them in foil and started mu mushroom gravy mix...

It was quite simple to make. I minced a shallot and two cloves of garlic and put into a large pan with a couple tablespoons of melted butter. After a couple minutes, I added a sliced onion, a handful of button mushrooms and a portabello mushroom (sliced) to the mix. Another three or four minutes, I added about a cup of beef stock, an ounce of Crown Royal Maple and a tablespoon of brown gravy mix. I let it simmer and thicken up, maybe three or four minutes.

photo5_zpsf226db50.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And now, I have realized that I did not actually take a photo of the gravy on top of the steak! Seriously? Did I just do that? Yeah... I did.

Needless to say, it was AWESOME! Such great flavor... Nothing like we've really had before.

Will be making this again, that is for sure...

Whate a great looking cook. Of course, if you really want the faster temp reading you'd use a black one with flames. :)

...I have realized that I did not actually take a photo of the gravy on top of the steak! Seriously? Did I just do that? Yeah... I did.

Yes, I have done that, as well! But for some odd reason it especially happens to me when I've cooked up some killer steaks with any combination of mushrooms and onions...my plate calls to me, mesmerizing me and I go into some sort of trance. When I finally come to, it occurs to me that: 1) my plate is empty; and 2) I didn't get a picture of the aforementioned plate that is now empty!

Those steaks look excellent, and I've no doubt that they paired very well with the gravy.

Thanks for sharing!

Barret

Back