Starting to restore a Weber Genesis 2 redhead. NG to LP conversion.

My dad has one of the earliest 2000's out there. He got it right after they were introduced. On his the slats are still wood, but he has the sliding flip up table and the casters. I had (gave it to son in law) one of the last 2's wood slats, no slide and no casters. You gotta understand that they were so similar the people in the stores didn't care what they gave with the grills. Odds are when it was bought some store rep just simply threw that manual there. Or perhaps it was simply packed that way due to overlap at the factory. Like you my 2 came with 2000 literature but believe me it was NOT a 2000. It was a 2. I threw out the literature it had long ago, but I recall thinking "was I cheated?" My grill doesn't have this feature and that feature. But when I called into Weber they set it straight. It was a 2 with 2000 literature. She said it happens.. Also believe me, you won't need a level to tell if the grill is simply "missing" it's casters. it will be severe because it will be close to 3" lower on the left than the right

I wish I could use the manifold from my 2010 Spirit E-310 with side-mounted controls. I'd gladly cannibalize that one to restore/convert the older one.

My dad has one of the earliest 2000's out there. He got it right after they were introduced. On his the slats are still wood, but he has the sliding flip up table and the casters. I had (gave it to son in law) one of the last 2's wood slats, no slide and no casters. You gotta understand that they were so similar the people in the stores didn't care what they gave with the grills. Odds are when it was bought some store rep just simply threw that manual there. Or perhaps it was simply packed that way due to overlap at the factory. Like you my 2 came with 2000 literature but believe me it was NOT a 2000. It was a 2. I threw out the literature it had long ago, but I recall thinking "was I cheated?" My grill doesn't have this feature and that feature. But when I called into Weber they set it straight. It was a 2 with 2000 literature. She said it happens.. Also believe me, you won't need a level to tell if the grill is simply "missing" it's casters. it will be severe because it will be close to 3" lower on the left than the right
It's just mindboggling that they would print the manual incorrectly. Look at the manual for the 2000 that I posted. Both pages show the wood flip-up side table.

I know that you guys know these BBQ's like the back of your hand. I just am having trouble not believing the manual for the 2000 that came with the BBQ we bought my parents and I have on my lap, at this moment. The manual for the 2000 shows a swing table and it has the hole in the frame. Is it possible that the1993 Genesis 2000 had the swing table, while the later years had the slide, as you indicated? I mean, you see the cover to the manual, above. It clearly says what moodel it is and shows a swing table in the picture. I included the page, from the manual, on installing the swing table.

I'm going to do 2 things today. I'm going to use a level on the grates to see if it slants to the left (missing casters). I'm also going to call Weber and see if they can confirm the model for me, using the serial number.
My personal 1993 Genesis 1000 came with the prop rod that went into the back leg. I added the slide assembly to it after the fact. So, you may indeed have a Genesis 2000 IMO.

I still think it's a 2. In the end it doesn't really matter. Other than the flip table and casters then in later models the durawood there is really no discernible difference and certainly nothing functional

Yep, there was not much difference in the two generations. Certainly nothing that affection the actual cooking ability of the grills. Just small ancillary updates from 1985 all the way until 2000 when they made a much more radical change to the Silver/Gold B/C design.

Anyone want to swap the LP manifold from my 2010 Spirit E-310 with side-mounted controls for your LP manifold for the one I'm restoring?

I may be confused, but it seems you are asking to swap identical items. A Spirit E310 LP side control manifold for a Spirit E310 LP side control manifold. ???

I may be confused, but it seems you are asking to swap identical items. A Spirit E310 LP side control manifold for a Spirit E310 LP side control manifold. ???
I'm looking to trade the LP manifold from my 2010 Spirit E-310 in exchange for somebody else's LP manifold that will fit my 1993 Genesis 2 (or 2000) that I'm restoring in the project that I posted about.

Yes, so you need the older style manifold with the burners set wider apart. I think the one you have would actually work on a Genesis Silver/Gold but not on the first generation 1-5, x000 Genesis grills.

I found a plumber who installed a natural gas hookup for my BBQ, Installed a new water heater (supplied by me, but picked up at HD by him) and added a gas hookup for a clothes dryer (our current dryer is electric) for $1200. I'll be re-painting the firebox and replacing the wood slats in the Spring, if not sooner. I'll also take apart, clean and lubricate the valves. Maybe I can get the valves to stop at the 3 positions.
I'll either give my LP Spirit E-310 to a friend or will replace the bottom panel, which rotted out, and try to sell it.

Sometimes they're just plain worn out. Despite my careful cleaning and lubing of the valves on my 2000 the "clicks" are just plain worn out. I think I could fix them but then I think WTH it's still gonna cook the same. Yet my dad's 2000 he bought new in 93 still clicks just fine and I've never touched his valves...........................go figure

Yah, I have lubed my Genesis 1000 and the valves still don't turn real easy and the clicks are not very definite. Still works fine though. I may swap valves or the whole manifold this next summer

This grill is near me for $20. What model does this look like to you? I'm wondering if it is worth grabbing the manifold, in case I ever wanted to convert my 2000 to LP.

That manifold will not fit a 2000. You could simply take off the orifices and if you wanted to run it on LP install them. Though understand it would not be a PROPER conversion as low/med settings would run hotter than you expect by a little. I have done this though and it's not unsafe or uncontrollable you just have to turn off a burner sometimes

Agreed. That grill is a Genesis Gold C and the manifold will not fit your current 2000. You need to find a grill with the wood or durawood slats if you want a manifold that will fit your grill.

Back