Starting my first rehab - 1998 Genesis 1000 LX

Jon: Nice job. That grill is going to serve you well. How much did the cover cost. I bought a King Kong a while back due to good reviews on here, but I was not impressed. It is a rubbery material and is terrible about holding in moisture which accumulates with condensation in the day/night temperature cycles.

Larry, Is that decking material heat resistant. If so, that would be a great tip.....Too bad Trex decking doesn't make Z brackets.

Last edited:
Jon: Nice job. That grill is going to serve you well. How much did the cover cost. I bought a King Kong a while back due to good reviews on here, but I was not impressed. It is a rubbery material and is terrible about holding in moisture which accumulates with condensation in the day/night temperature cycles.

Larry, Is that decking material heat resistant. If so, that would be a great tip.....Too bad Trex decking doesn't make Z brackets.

The Medium Ravenna cover is $35 on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00D2VUN0Q/tvwb-20

That grill came out really nice! Also, how in the world did I miss out on the Fargo fun? These are .... personal matters that .... needn't .... uh .....

Trex is not heat resistant but than neither is Durawood which is why the grills made with it had to have that heat shield

Jon B in MN,

Your hard work and diligence really paid off! Excellent job on that:cool:. I personally especially like black grills, and combined with durawood and that Weber tank cover it makes for a great overall look. Glad you are USING it, too;)!

Jon T in FL (with three of us “Jons” posting regularly, I am even getting confused:confused:.)

Last edited:
Well, it looks like a pretty good start since you have the grill and it looks to be in good structural shape. Do you have the bottom shelves?

Yeah, I think that one has plenty of good potential! Your hood may have that dreaded fade, but it will still clean up way nicer than it and work fine. You can keep your eyes for another donor if it turns out to be too faded. But you have a great starting point with the choice 13-bar deep fire box. WAY BETTER than any new box store throw-away grill once you restore it.

If you have access to a brake and a press, you could just create a full bottom pan for the grill.

Back