Starting my first rehab - 1998 Genesis 1000 LX

Days two and three of my rehab project. Lots of cleaning, grinding, and scraping.
Unfortunately the weather hasn't been cooperative for paint yet (near freezing temps at night and even a bit of snow yesterday).

Tried oven cleaner first. Helped to take off the grease and some of the grime but did nothing for the carbon buildup in the firebox.

KPJiipk.jpg

8v3bZur.jpg

Followed everyone's advice here and picked up a cheap angle grinder + wire brush from Harbor Freight. Made a huge difference cleaning out the firebox and endcaps, along with a razor to get the tight spots.

YMONjG4.jpg

lvOXawj.jpg

GxNVsmU.jpg

Obligatory after grinding photo. What a mess!

iP5u7Df.jpg

And a quick follow-up for Day four. More scraping with the razor blade on the lid and drip pan this time, along with some steel wool and Simple Green.

Started on the drip pan first as I wasn't super confident about using a razor blade for this, but it really works.

For anyone else looking to do the same be sure and watch the edges of the blade as they can dig into the enamel (happened to me on one corner of the drip tray).

p4q7LW8.jpg

VmJiH6r.jpg

Lookin like the coal miner's daughter. Keep on keepin on. Lookin good. You're probably too young to remember Fargo. Scene in the bar with the prostitutes. "I'm from White Bear Lake................Ya...........go Bears......................."Oh Yah" :D Wife is from Richfield

JonB,
Looks like you are coming along great! I assume this is a “keeper,” but you can sympathize with members here who do lots of restorations for the purpose of reselling. It is a lot of work and the profit potential is narrow. I am only an occasional “flipper” but seeing your days of work reminds me why I can’t quit my much less fun tax preparation second job and must relegate grills to when time allows.

Looks like it's coming along nicely Jon B. Just remember, after this rehab is done you may catch a sickness called weberitus or weberitous. As of now there is no known cure.

Lookin like the coal miner's daughter. Keep on keepin on. Lookin good. You're probably too young to remember Fargo. Scene in the bar with the prostitutes. "I'm from White Bear Lake................Ya...........go Bears......................."Oh Yah" :D Wife is from Richfield

Ha I've seen Fargo plenty of times but never caught the line about White Bear Lake.

JonB,
Looks like you are coming along great! I assume this is a “keeper,” but you can sympathize with members here who do lots of restorations for the purpose of reselling. It is a lot of work and the profit potential is narrow. I am only an occasional “flipper” but seeing your days of work reminds me why I can’t quit my much less fun tax preparation second job and must relegate grills to when time allows.

Absolutely. Much respect for everyone that regularly rehabs these grills. Between my day job and chasing a toddler around the house it doesn't leave much time for projects like this.

Looks like it's coming along nicely Jon B. Just remember, after this rehab is done you may catch a sickness called weberitus or weberitous. As of now there is no known cure.

Haha, already looking at WSM's and Smokey Joe's on CL/FB to try putting together a smoker rig.

Ha I've seen Fargo plenty of times but never caught the line about White Bear Lake.

I could not pass up the opportunity LOL https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8F5g0qRSwc I don't know how many times I have watched that film but it still entertains me. Especially since my mother in law actually bought a car from that same Olds dealer back during the time this actually happened (as you may know it is based on a true story). Who knows she might have even dealt with the subject(s) of the film LOL

Well all that hard work to clean up the lid and now that it's dry seems I've got a case of the dreaded fade:

XMlgu5B.jpg

That is definitely disappointing, but black hoods like that are pretty common. I would finish as is and keep an eye out for a donor replacement. In the meantime, you can try the trick of rubbing down with some Pam. It may temporarily reduce how obvious the fade is. It can do amazing things for old porcelain kettles.

Day Five of my rehab project. Weather was finally nice enough to paint today!

Unfortunately the original regulator is corroded and clogged so I'll need to wait for a new one before I can finish curing the new paint.

CGsA1rc.jpg

PfGyqyF.jpg

Day six. New regulator and I've got fire!🔥 🔥 🔥

Hnko4rl.jpg

tXVuh8c.jpg

Now I get to be the crazy guy sitting in the driveway with my grill at 10pm waiting for my high heat paint to cure.

Days seven and eight of my grill rehab project. Thanks to Bruce who found a Durawood side table for me to use as a replacement for the missing work table.

OUXKDyw.jpg

I also managed to track down a nicer black lid that wasn't faded.

5SWeqzY.jpg

Here it is all put together and grilling for the first time.

1RsOt97.jpg

x9DI95h.jpg

Have had good luck with the Classic Accessories covers from Amazon for patio furniture and decided to try out their Ravenna line of grill covers (size Medium). Fits well, includes straps to secure the cover to the frame, and adjustable cords to tighten everything up.

9IQ7XPr.jpg

Looks very nice. BTW in a pinch you can make your own Durawood side table. A piece of Trex decking material is the same thing

Back