Starting a new restore. Weber Genesis 1000

Dinyero Johnson

Needed to get a new (or new to family) gas grill, and after seeing some people's rehab of the Genesis 1000, and the iconic Redhead, I decided to look around to see what I could see. Found one on FB Marketplace for $50, so went and snapped it up. This guy right here: As you'll see, I started using a grinder to clean up the end caps.

Then...I came across this Redhead and I had to get it because I wanted the top, and was hoping for some better pieces: What was crazy is that it was listed as not working, but I'm pretty sure it fires up just fine. I was tempted to try and test it, but I was able to score it and an older small belt saw for $50...so I wasn't too terribly worried.

The drip pan on the second pickup is better. But the frame is better on the first one. Going to combine the best parts of both and see what ends up from there. I've read several other threads on here so decided to join and get some help from the community and share my own project!

Thus far, I've gone through about 3 different cans of oven cleaner on the first one. Today I borrowed my friend's pressure washer. Going to try Citristrip to strip the paint so its less grinding.......wish me luck, will share progress as I go along!

Welcome to TVWBB, Dinyero!

Looks like two great pickups, and your combination idea should work well. These are my personal favorites - the classic Weber Genesis.

Thank you @Jon Tofte !

So, after working, I've gotten the progress thus far:

Cleaned redhead top. I borrowed my friend's 2100 PSI pressure washer to wash it first, then hit it with 1:1 Simple Green and a razor blade scraper, then soaked it in a 27 gal bin that had some dilution of Simple Green and some Dawn Professional Heavy Duty Manual Pots and Pans Cleaner. Then finished it with an SOS pad:

Cleaned blackhead top. I went super heavy with oven cleaner. I really wish I had not done that. I think I'm going to have to spend more time than its worth with steel wool to polish off the white residue :oops::

I've gone through a couple of wire cups, and those abrasive wheels for removing paint, and tried Citristrip, and Aircraft remover......and I think I'm doing it wrong. Ended up calling around and found a local place that will sand blast the firebox plus two end caps for $100. I wish I had just gone that route....would have saved that much in cleaners and other materials! So....I'll probably end up going that route on the second firebox, but I'm in for a penny in for a pound on the one I started on..... :-\

Here's the state of the frames. They aren't terrible I don't think. Some surface rust. I'm pretty sure that I'll get one powder coated and keep it as the personal one, and just wirewheel the rust off the second and just rattle can it.:

Cont'd in post below

Cont'd from post above

Drip pan rails. The ones from the redhead were in much better shape. I can probably just soak them in 30% vinegar or buy some evaporust and use it. The super rusted one is from the first pickup. I still have to get a vice grip so I can get the remaining screw out after blasting the crap out of it with a torch.

I really do wish I had called around first on the sand blasting......I would have saved both time AND money! Ahh well, I'll try and recoup some money on the second grill I get rid of. The burners from both are just fine, just need some wire wheel cleaning. The panels from both are in good shape. The drip pan from the redhead pickup was in much better shape, some rust but the edges are still there, as opposed to the drip pan from the first pickup being super eaten up around the edges.

I have ordered some of that Dawn Liquid Power Dissolver so will try that on the inside and the inside of the caps and see if that might help me out some.......we'll see. I should have done waaaaaaaaaaaaay more reading of restore threads before starting out :-D

Member's Mark grill and oven cleaner works fantastic. Re, your white "residue" on the black top, I doubt it's residue. More likely Weber fade. Nice work otherwise

You can mix and match the frame pieces also to end up with the nicest combo of parts on the grill you will be keeping. If you are going to get the frame powder coated, I would ask about getting the firebox and lid end caps done as well.

@LMichaels Well....I bought the Dawn Liquid Power Dissolver...... I may need to order some of that Members Mark. Hopefully it does better than heavy duty oven cleaner.

@Steve Hoch I asked about powder coating, but the place advised that on BBQ grills that it just didn't last, and recommended I just use BBQ paint. Would cost me $200 total they said....I'll have to ask again about high temp powder coating though.....

@LMichaels Well....I bought the Dawn Liquid Power Dissolver...... I may need to order some of that Members Mark. Hopefully it does better than heavy duty oven cleaner.

@Steve Hoch I asked about powder coating, but the place advised that on BBQ grills that it just didn't last, and recommended I just use BBQ paint. Would cost me $200 total they said....I'll have to ask again about high temp powder coating though.....
Yes, it has to be a high heat powder coating and not every place does it.

$100 for cook box and two end caps is high IMO. I get them done for $55 total.

I agree, it is unlikely you hurt the black lid by soaking in grill cleaner or oven cleaner. If the white residue is located pretty much on the top and maybe front mostly in the middle, then it is classic weber fade. Nothing you can do about it.

@Bruce $55 would be super ideal. I'll call around some more, but given my location, I didn't see $100 as terribly out of pocket. They did give me a range of $80-$100, so I took the high water mark. I'll call around some more to see if I can get cheaper pricing.

Edit: Ironically, the redhead is in worse shape cover wise. The hookup on it is extremely old school, not the modern type of hookups for LP tanks now. I've no idea how the porcelain managed to flake/crack off/damage like it did, but I surmise that with high heat and banging the lid closed, it could happen under the caps. But it was much easier to clean, and the better hardware was from that one. The blackhead grill had the modern LP attach to the tank, and the porcelain on the cover is in much better shape, but some parts are much more rusted....like the drip pan tray and the guides.

Last edited:
@Dinyero

FYI... in my area the one business that said they'd even do small sandblasting jobs said it was $100 for 1 box/end caps as well. However, I worked a deal with the owner and they'll do 4-5 sets in one session for $250. It's the scale of shop time for them... lucky for me, I've got several that I want to be refurbed.

Well….disaster struck, by my own hand :(

IMG_2575.jpeg

I suppose I’ll have to figure out what I want to do later on. In other news, I found a place that stated they would do a set of pieces for starting at $50, so I dropped off both sets yesterday. Now? I just need to strip the frames and paint them. Well, paint at least one. The keeper I think I want to powder coat. Actually, I think I might want to Cerakote…..but that would be an expensive proposition…….60 gallon air compressors are not cheap, and neither are the Cerakote C series Glacier coatings.

Cerakote isn’t even remotely close to being as strong and durable as powder coat.

Powder coat if you want a ‘keeper’

Yah, those are tricky, but with patience and diligence, it can be fixed. Make sure you use a centering bit to start with.

I snapped one off on my E330 this morning. Added about 45 mins to my painting job.

I had some brand new bits which was nice.

Back