Stanbroil Stainless Steel Cooking Grates For Weber Q

Keep in mind that the way the Q grills are designed these types of grates will not work correctly. If they really did I am sure Weber would be making the grills with them as I lay odds making some el cheapo alloy rod type grates is far more cost effective than the porcelain cast iron Weber is doing. They utilize the mass of the cast iron as an actual part of the cooking system. Take that away and it's the difference of trying to compare the searing ability of a heavy quality cast iron pan to some cheap dime store stamped aluminum non stick. Just ain't gotta work. If I thought myself for one minute those type of grates would work I would be buying them for my own Q3xx and especially for the one I gave daughter as I doubt she'll understand the first thing about caring for the CI ones.

I was wondering the same thing. Ill hope OP has some insight that can help me with my decision.

Hey Troy, any insight on cleaning these (see previous comments)? I'm about to pull the trigger and would love a final bit of input.

Also, do you line yours with foil? I've never had a Q and was curious to hear from someone who seems to use it quite a bit!

I do not line with foil, to me that would defeat the point of grilling. I use a Weber grill brush, and the grates clean very easily, much easier than the rust prone cast iron grates! Pull the trigger, you will not be disappointed with this upgrade. These grates are very high quality for the price. I used mine for multiple camping trips this summer and into the fall yet this year. The searing ability of these grates is much better than the cast iron originals. I have been asked many, many times by fellow campers with Q grills if I liked them. My reply is always a resounding YES!! They are just sick and tired of the cheap, low grade, rusty cast iron Weber puts in these grills, and porcelain coating pealing off into their food. With this upgrade, the only thing you will need to replace in the future is the burner tube. Purchase these grates and start enjoying your maintenance free grilling time!! I personally own and use these grates, DO NOT listen to replies from people who have no experience with them, and are just expressing their opinion!! There is a reason why all the high end grills have stainless steel grates!!

Last edited:
At first glance these grates look very nice. Lots of weight to them and this brand has the strip down the middle to protect the middle burner.
The welds seem much cleaner than that other off-brand I tried a month or so back.

I'll report back after I've installed on the grill and cooked on them. These are for my Q320

IMG_20200920_100704.jpg

At first glance these grates look very nice. Lots of weight to them and this brand has the strip down the middle to protect the middle burner.
The welds seem much cleaner than that other off-brand I tried a month or so back.

I'll report back after I've installed on the grill and cooked on them. These are for my Q320

View attachment 14484
I put cast iron on my Q320 that I just restored, and they are already rusting, and I oil them regularly. I will be replacing them with a set of these very soon, as I am enjoying them immensely on my Q2200.

I cooked some chicken breasts on the new grates and they came out excellent. I didn't notice a difference in the grates ability to retain heat.

I'll try to snap some pictures and do a temp check on the grates next cook.

First impression is a way better cooking experience than the stock cast iron style grate.
Also, I'm using the Stanbroil replacement burners too, no issues with them

The way I see it, if you are the kind of guy that has to keep opening the grill to see the food every two minutes, then these SS ones might not be the best bet. But, I sure like the idea of SS grates on a Q grill.

Me too but again, I will refer you to original literature of the Q design from Weber. The grate design they use is part of the engineering to get the performance and lower maintenance we expect from their products. The CI oem design is nowhere near as "bad" as critics maintain. If I could find an actual cast SS grate I would gladly shell out the coin but for now I will stick with what I KNOW works CORRECTLY and by design. I did a direct comparison of the OEM Weber grates to the Uniflasy ones I bought. Impossible to tell apart. So odds are I will see 4 to 5 years out of the Uniflasy, but hell even if I only see 2 years. They're so cheap I don't care. And at my age and given the health challenges I have I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
BTW I am also sure the Porcelain cast iron grates are costlier to produce for Weber than rod types. So gotta ask yourself "Why do they insist on using them?"

Last edited:
With the bigger Genesis grills, Weber does charge a premium for the models with SS grates. I'm not even sure the cheaper porcelain grates are an option on the Summit series.

Me too but again, I will refer you to original literature of the Q design from Weber. The grate design they use is part of the engineering to get the performance and lower maintenance we expect from their products. The CI oem design is nowhere near as "bad" as critics maintain. If I could find an actual cast SS grate I would gladly shell out the coin but for now I will stick with what I KNOW works CORRECTLY and by design. I did a direct comparison of the OEM Weber grates to the Uniflasy ones I bought. Impossible to tell apart. So odds are I will see 4 to 5 years out of the Uniflasy, but hell even if I only see 2 years. They're so cheap I don't care. And at my age and given the health challenges I have I don't even buy green bananas anymore.
BTW I am also sure the Porcelain cast iron grates are costlier to produce for Weber than rod types. So gotta ask yourself "Why do they insist on using them?"
Thank the good lord, I don't by any green bananas any more either, so glad to see I'm not alone.
I also love cast iron grates they are like me, they get rusty if they aren't taken good care of. Barb makes sure I don't get too rusty.
Although I have to say about your comment about the engineers at Weber, if they were that that good... what the hell happened to the Smoke Fires intro.
Being an retired engineer I know they make mistakes, big mistakes. Been there, done that.
Having no experience or very little with Q grills it's just speculation on my part, but.

What is the deal with green bananas???
Heard something the other night, a quote by Bette Davis: "Old age ain't no place for sissies". She sure got that right (I consider walking to the mail box as exercise - it's uphill both ways :giggle:).

Last edited:
I cooked some chicken breasts on the new grates and they came out excellent. I didn't notice a difference in the grates ability to retain heat.

I'll try to snap some pictures and do a temp check on the grates next cook.

First impression is a way better cooking experience than the stock cast iron style grate.
Also, I'm using the Stanbroil replacement burners too, no issues with them

Glad you like them also!! I pulled the trigger and purchased them for my Q320 since they work amazing on my Q2200. My cast iron grates are going in the bin. Now I can finally enjoy cooking on the larger Q at home.

Thank the good lord, I don't by any green bananas any more either, so glad to see I'm not alone.
I also love cast iron grates they are like me, they get rusty if they aren't taken good care of. Barb makes sure I don't get too rusty.
Although I have to say about your comment about the engineers at Weber, if they were that that good... what the hell happened to the Smoke Fires intro.
Being an retired engineer I know they make mistakes, big mistakes. Been there, done that.
Having no experience or very little with Q grills it's just speculation on my part, but.
The SF was an odd ball from the start. Trying to be all things to all people. That was their mistake and the cause for all the issues IMO. Trying to do what they did with it especially not knowing all the different conditions, skill levels of operators, tolerances of part manufacturers, and so many more things. Also trying to have some unreasonable expectations from it (no drip tray needed under long slow cooks, etc) just way to much to go wrong on such a complicated idea and device. They should have stuck with just making a good easy to use pellet smoker and been done. As for the Q they had a VERY simple device with a VERY simple idea. A small, compact efficient grill for picnics or around the house. The issue at hand was and still is this. Gas grills are more than just a "burner" with "gas". Otherwise you would not need so many designs. For instance. You cannot just stick a burner under a grate light it and expect to cook food properly. You will have hot spots, clogging burners, and so on. You need a form of heat dispersion and protection for burner ports. Que the flavorizer bars. But they add in complexity, expense, and another piece to the puzzle. By going with the CI grate and notice the actual shape of the solid areas. Notice the inverted V shape? Remind you of anything? Trouble is that gives the burner(s) protection from juices and drippings but not heat dispersion. So by making the grates out of a very heavy material (Q the cast iron) you now kill 2 birds with one stone. VERY even heat absorption and predictable dispersion throughout the grill surface. Ever notice how on a Q that is functioning (i.e. no burner issues, etc) that there are absolutely no hot or cold spots? No matter where you put food it always cooks the same? Thank the cast iron and the original simple and yes genius design of that grate.

Glad you like them also!! I pulled the trigger and purchased them for my Q320 since they work amazing on my Q2200. My cast iron grates are going in the bin. Now I can finally enjoy cooking on the larger Q at home.

I was assuming the little rack that sits on top of the main grate wouldn't be usable with the SS grates, but it actually fits pretty well on there. It even helps keep the 2 halves tight and in place.

I was assuming the little rack that sits on top of the main grate wouldn't be usable with the SS grates, but it actually fits pretty well on there. It even helps keep the 2 halves tight and in place.
You are really going to enjoy cooking on the SS grates. It's the upgrade that these Qs really need to make them functional. The rusting of the cast iron and porcelain coating flaking off in your food will not be missed. I still get the same beautiful sear marks, and same cooking time without the hassle.

My grates have the flaking going on, but still usable. I should just bite the bullet and get a set of the SS one.s

Back