stainless steel vs porcelain-coated cast iron grate

Barry K from LA

Which is better? I'm looking at the Weber Genesis E-310 vs S-310. I like black over stainless (the look and the price), but the black has porcelain-coated cast iron grates, which I assume aren't as good at the stainless rods on the S-310. Am I wrong?

I've gathered that stainless rods heat quicker, clean eaiser, last longer, and are more resistant to rust. The only "benefit" I see to porcelain is that the food bits left behind from lack of good cleaning act as seasoning for your next session. And perhaps porcelain/cast iron holds heat a little longer, but who wants a hot grill after you've turned the propane off? I like my grill clean.

Opinion appreciated!

Stainless comes in many varieties and quality levels so just being stainless does not mean "quality". As for how quality stainless rods cook compared to the coated cast iron. I have both and can/do regularly switch. I honestly cannot see any difference in performance between my Weber CI grates or my heavy 3/8" Weber stainless grates. If anything I give a HUGE advantage to the stainless for ease of use/maintenance. They clean up easier, less fuss, hold heat just as well. In short other than MAYBE wider grill marks I see no reason to use CI ones. But again I am referring to QUALITY SS grates not the skinny little wide spaced ones Weber includes on most things. IMO those are useless. Another advantage larger bars gives you is that even given the same "pitch" (bar spacing) the larger diameter gives a shallower angle of attack between bars helping to keep smaller items from falling through. Now best bet may be get the cheaper grill and spring for quality grates from RCP (Dave Santana). Money VERY well spent

I much prefer the stainless. I feel like the porcelain is going to eventually start flaking off. If you get the stainless you'll never need to replace them.

Barry,

I like the porcelain hoods a lot better myself. I think they are easier to keep looking nice. I also just like some color:coolkettle:!

The big problem with Weber cast iron is that after a while that porcelain plating is doomed to start chipping off and potentially getting on your food:p. I personally love cast iron that is not plated in this way, but you won't be able to find that.

I would suggest you consider taking their cast iron and start saving for its eventual replacement with Weber's 9mm stainless rod or better yet true 304 stainless rod grates from Dave Santana "rcplanebuyer." I think you would get at least a couple years of good use out of the Weber cast iron, maybe more if you are careful.

How do the grills you are looking at compare to this one? I personally think this is the nicest new offering Weber currently has. 9mm grates, handle light, sear burner...The open cart is not only less rust prone it is also more in line with Weber's history:

73FyOEQ.jpg

https://www.bbqguys.com/weber-grill...ition-propane-gas-grill-crimson-61032201-2019

I prefer stainless (304 grade). Easier to maintain and buy once only (for the most part).

i have a basic Spirit e-310 for 3 years w/ the CI grates. I scrape and brush them with this metal tool i got at the Lowes gardening section, it has a small "V" shape in front and works amazingly to scrape off the crust on the grates. It also doesn't have bristles that can come off and get on your food. The seasoning on the cast iron grates i'd assume creates a more non-stick coating as opposed to SS.

Stainless grates as long as they are not the cheaper variety. You can get a very capable set of Stainless solid rod grates on Amazon for about $50 - $60

I agree with Lmichaels for the most part. I can't tell much difference in grilling/cooking performance between the 2. However I also think the stainless is much easier to maintain. And also more durable.

However I do think the stock weber grates are ok. Not as good as rcplanebuyer or Bbqparts grates. But still very good. They are in my brothers genesis II and seem like they are good quality.

Barry K:
I agree with Jon. The cast iron grates have lasted me 10 years plus here in Las Vegas. A little more humidity in LA, but you should get several years out of the originals with the enamel hood. There is a great custom vendors of Stainless grates in your area when you need to upgrade down the road. RC Planebuyer's grate blow the doors off anything Weber offers. Enjoy you new grill!

Back