Stainless Steel Fasteners in a Genesis 1000 Fire Box

John_NJ

TVWBB Wizard
I was reading another thread where the subject came up about drilling out the fasteners that hold the burner tubes, and it got me thinking about what I had already done.

I recently renovated my Genesis 1000, and actually drilled and tapped in eight locations:

Two for the manifold
B6831CF3-3BBD-4A79-BC80-D8B07D2A386B.jpeg934D4D95-5108-412E-9C35-B7A2EA8EC6EB.jpeg
Two for the burner tube hold downs
0834A81C-E57C-4480-A3FA-05F5E6F20F89.jpeg

Four for the drip tray brackets, which were compromised anyway

E38F2D6C-C31A-4A13-AC7F-C1622208FE41.jpeg

What are the issues with what I did?

Speak freely please.

And it might help others.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Timothy,

For some reason two of the integrated standoffs that held the drip tray were broken, surprising since everything else was in such good shape with little to no care by me for 29 years:

4E3A5384-8757-44AC-B2B0-1DC5BE934BB4.jpeg

I really wasn’t good about taking before photos.

Looks great.

I'll sometimes use a little anti seize if I think I'll need to in bolt things in the future.
Thanks Dan.

I was originally thinking about using brass fasteners sine they would be way easier to drill out and re-tap if I needed to, but went with stainless figuring I will do a better job of maintaining the grill.

After it was done I had a thought that the stainless would react differently to heating and cooling, expansion and contraction and might slowly damage the cast cookbox.

But what’s done is done as long as I don’t get any red flags here.

Thanks

You helped things and did competent repair work. Stainless steel hardware was a fine choice. My only suggestion is that the through bolts didn't necessarily need to be tapped. For example, the manifold bolts have a hex head, you could simply put a wrench on them to tighten/loosen. I actually believe mine have a wing nut on the other end.

Thanks Dan.

I was originally thinking about using brass fasteners sine they would be way easier to drill out and re-tap if I needed to, but went with stainless figuring I will do a better job of maintaining the grill.

After it was done I had a thought that the stainless would react differently to heating and cooling, expansion and contraction and might slowly damage the cast cookbox.

But what’s done is done as long as I don’t get any red flags here.

Thanks
No red flags on using stainless.

You helped things and did competent repair work. Stainless steel hardware was a fine choice. My only suggestion is that the through bolts didn't necessarily need to be tapped. For example, the manifold bolts have a hex head, you could simply put a wrench on them to tighten/loosen. I actually believe mine have a wing nut on the other end.
Thanks Scott,

The manifold bolts were rusted beyond repair, and I figured since I was drilling holes, might as well tap the holes.3FF5302D-A364-4E1E-B570-EA2D13BF8DDE.jpeg

Good job fixing something that would otherwise be junk. I know Weber includes replacement manifold bolts with their burner tube sets that are stainless steel, so I don't think that's a problem.

John, you do good work. I see nothing wrong with well thought out quality repairs. Sometimes it is what’s needed to keep these old Grills going. 👍

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I figured if I did something wrong now would be the time to make it right.

I was dreading tearing this grill apart and was surprised how solid it still was. Seems like everything is working as it should now- we are grilling most nights during these dogs days of summer.

I have learned much since joining this forum, so now my goal is to keep this grill as long as possible.

I had my sales receipt stapled inside the owners manual- I had to drive a distance to get the red one my wife wanted.

Not bad for a little over $400

C53823B8-1778-408B-8CCE-99A2CFF0A4BB.jpegY

That was a lot of money for a grill 27 years ago! I just can't understand why people bought so many of them? Just kidding, I know why.😉

That was a lot of money for a grill 27 years ago! I just can't understand why people bought so many of them? Just kidding, I know why.😉
In 1993 when we bought the Weber, my wife and I were living the “double income no kids” lifestyle.

In 1994, our first child was born and my wife became a stay at home mom.

You learn a lot about fixing things under those circumstances.

Now it’s just a hobby, lol

Cheers

In 1993 when we bought the Weber, my wife and I were living the “double income no kids” lifestyle.

In 1994, our first child was born and my wife became a stay at home mom.

You learn a lot about fixing things under those circumstances.

Now it’s just a hobby, lol

Cheers
Ha ha, you're absolutely right. Having kids and buying a house turned me into a plumber, carpenter, appliance repairman, electrician ....You get the idea😄

Ha ha, you're absolutely right. Having kids and buying a house turned me into a plumber, carpenter, appliance repairman, electrician ....You get the idea😄
It turned me into a balding, cranky, guy that has made some really good friends with cabinet makers, plumbers, electricians and distilleries!

Having that receipt is very cool, the really cool thing is you have kept your grill and understand the fact that these old horses have a LOT of races yet to run!

Back