Stainless Steel Fasteners in a Genesis 1000 Fire Box

My receipt is fairy faded at this point. I bought my Genesis Silver A on 4/29/02 at Linens 'n Things in Parsippany for $349.99 minus a twenty percent off coupon. Total with tax was $296.79.

IMG_20220802_204820.jpg
I still have the owners manual, the assembly directions, and the cookbook and all the marketing wank that came in the box. My lid is still under warranty until 2027, so I suppose I should hold on to the receipt like it tells you to in the manual.

IMG_20220802_204957.jpg

Thanks Scott,

The manifold bolts were rusted beyond repair, and I figured since I was drilling holes, might as well tap the holes.View attachment 56674
Yup, those are the older style thumbscrews which are actually threaded into the aluminum cookbox. I'm currently playing with two cookboxes like this (a Junior and a Genesis 2) and out of the four bolts I only have gotten one out so far. I'm feeding the others PB blaster and applying patience. I think the second one on the Junior will eventually come out. The two in the old Genesis 2 box don't look so promising and I'll probably end up drilling those.

I have thought about drilling through for the drip pan stand offs like you did on some that are badly corroded. You did a nice job on those.

I think Never Seize on the threads might be a good plan. I've had plenty of stainless screws get "corrosion welded" into aluminum.

So cool you have that original receipt!

As mentioned above a bit of antiseize is a good idea for a couple reasons , Stainless steel hardware is soft metal compared to anodized steel. So release at a later date is handy with out striping or galding. Dissimilar metals under heating cycles, and moisture can and will cause glanular corrosion.that tell tale while powdery substance around your hardware. So antiseize can do nothing but help.

Good work. I too would recommend some Never Seize on the threads even if it is stainless. As it's not so much corrosion but carbon buildup you also need to watch for. Otherwise I have done the same type of things. Back in 1992 we paid fairly close to $500 for our original Genesis 2. At Kays Merchandise in Rockford IL. Kays is gone but that original grill is still in use with my son in law. Though thanks to contractors crushing it with a machine (literally crushed it) and than to the generosity of @GShaeffer it still lives as he gave them a frame from an original (old wide style boards) Genesis 2.

I am going to pick up some anti-seize that works for aluminum/ stainless and use it next time I am cleaning the grill.

Looks like this is the place to be if you want to keep a grill running (hopefully) forever.

Thanks guys.

Yah, kind of amazing that there are still 35 plus year old grills up and cooking on a regular basis. It would be interesting to know the total weight of food that has been cooked on the grills over the years. Or maybe like "100,000 Hamburgers Cooked" type of milestone.

Back