St. Louis cut Spare Ribs - $1.97/lb at SuperTarget

W Tyler

TVWBB All-Star
If you have one nearby, they're Hormel brand; good-looking ribs, single cryovac pack. They had the same sale Memorial Day and I missed out. Got 5 slabs this time. Average about $6-$6.50/slab. There's a limit of 6 per customer.

Probably go back for 5-6 more tomorrow. Then, I'm stocked to the max (no more room).
icon_cool.gif

EDIT 7/5/12 - Just a quick update : I did not go back and get more ribs. In fact, after smoking one slab, I returned the other 4 I had. Details of my experience are in subsequent posts below.

Grabbed six packages of these today, will probably go back and get six more before the sale's over. Pretty decent price considering they're already trimmed.

As W Tyler said the Target ribs are Hormel enhanced w/ 12% solution, not perfectly trimmed IMHO

Wally world has Tyson Stl ribs enhanced w/7% solution - same price but I think they have not been trimmed as well as the Hormel ribs. Price good til July 7

You pays your money and takes your choice
icon_confused.gif

I used to only buy Sam's Club 3-pack ribs and tried these a few years a go when they were on sale at Target. Now I load up when they are marked this low at Target. Even with the ribs being enhanced if you cut down the salt in the rub they taste just fine. I've used these for quite a while now and everyone loves the ribs when I smoke them. I think this is a better than most because they are trimmed and you don't pay for the extras.

I'll go with Rich on this - not always well trimmed. But that is a great price and I'll pick a couple up if they are still on sale.

Jim

Just a quick follow up. Smoked a rack yesterday just to see how I would like them, before the big cook next weekend for my pops' 73rd birthday.

I smoked them in a kamado, and they were "fall-off-the-bone" done in about 4 hrs (was going for a 2-2-1 method, but after 2-1.75 there was no need for another hr). In the end they came out OK, I really didn't care for the funky odor they had once they were cooking - definitely a result of whatever "enhancing" solution Hormel uses; never had this when cooking fresh ribs from Publix.

I rinsed them good before lightly sprinkling the rub. I smoked with apple wood chips for 30 mins and foiled them 2 hrs in, smothering them in apple juice - meat side down. After 2 hrs cooking ~275 in apple juice, unfoiled and they were breaking apart. I then sauced and left them on for 5-10 more minutes.

Still a noticeable taste in them that's not present in non-enhanced meat - I wouldn't describe it as "hammy" as others have - just odd (maybe "unnatural" would be the best word).

I'm debating on whether to keep the remaining 4 racks, or return them and purchase full spares from Publix, trimming the extra deckle/gristle myself. Pondering.........

My advice would be to wash the ribs really good, perhaps soak them in a vinegar-water solution a few hrs to break down the enhanced solution-y taste, rinse them good, and maybe go a little heavier-than-normal on the smoke. That should (I would think) rid most of any funky or odd tastes that the mfr enhancement solution imparts in the meat.

Originally posted by W Tyler:

I'm debating on whether to keep the remaining 4 racks, or return them and purchase full spares from Publix, trimming the extra deckle/gristle myself. Pondering.........

My advice would be to wash the ribs really good, perhaps soak them in a vinegar-water solution a few hrs to break down the enhanced solution-y taste, rinse them good, and maybe go a little heavier-than-normal on the smoke. That should (I would think) rid most of any funky or odd tastes that the mfr enhancement solution imparts in the meat.

Doesn't sound like much of a debate to me. Take them back and get the one's you've liked better at Publix. These ribs don't sound like any kind of value when I read your comments.

Originally posted by david brociner:
Doesn't sound like much of a debate to me. Take them back and get the one's you've liked better at Publix. These ribs don't sound like any kind of value when I read your comments.

And I did exactly that ............ well, the returning to Target part anyway. These may work for some people, but not for me. Just couldn't get past that funky smell and strange taste.

I've never had this issue with ribs I've purchased from Kroger, which are also enhanced - albeit with a 7% solution. They've come out just fine every time.

YMMV from mine, and I don't want to deter anyone from trying these - just sharing my experience. Hormel ribs are NOT for me.

Back