SS Grates for Genesis (2022) EPX-335

AndrewCoppens

Hi folks,

Brand new here with a brand new grill. I want to swap the enameled cast iron grates + Weber Crafted ss frame that come with the 2022 Genesis EPX-335 immediately — I prefer a simple all stainless rod “field” for grilling and want to sell these original parts on eBay as new. I have a lot of experience with cast iron and would like to set up with ss for this grill.

I’ve been reading threads here and some of the recommended options for aftermarket ss rod grates might not yet be making options for this grill: BBQParts.com replied to me that they sell by brand/model and don’t have options yet for this grill. Also, rcplanebuyer doesn’t currently have grates on his eBay shop (I have a message out to him to inquire). What are your recommendations for alternatives? Weber has a 7mm option, but I’d like to do better. Killagrilla‘s custom grates at .25” seem a little light; that’s 6.35mm.

Ideally, I’d have a 304 stainless steel (8-9mm) grate with no middle bar. Measurements for the overall grate surface are 18-3/4” x 27-0”.

Appreciate your help, in advance! Btw, what a great forum. Glad to have connected.

/ Andrew

Welcome to TVWBB Andrew!

I had thought that Weber made 9mm grates for some of the new Genesis grills. If so, there should be a way to get them.

On after market options, no one is going to outdo Dave Santana aka “rcplanebuyer.” I didn’t think he was doing grates right now, but maybe his material supply issues are improving.

I think the other non-OEM manufacturers haven’t caught up with the new Genesis yet. One question I have is are the grates any different in size than for a Genesis II? If they are the same (at least for a pair fitting) then you might have more options. The best imported stainless grates are all likely to have that middle bar, though.

I hope you can keep looking and find what you want. Keep us posted!

Andrew, congrats on the new grill and welcome! I think your grasp on the grate situation for that grill is pretty good. Your best chance to get 9mm SS rod grates without a middle support bar are probably rcplanebuyer if you can get him to make you a set. Until the aftermarket starts rolling out more offerings, the stainless 9mm grates that come on an Ace Hardware special edition grill are probably the best, goofy hole in middle notwithstanding. I would probably just use what came with the grill until I could get choice 1. Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Of course I hope someone here knows something I don't and offers a more immediate solution! Edit: I was still typing when Jon's post went up, which is why we both basically said the same thing LOl.

Welcome to TVWBB Andrew!

I had thought that Weber made 9mm grates for some of the new Genesis grills. If so, there should be a way to get them.

On after market options, no one is going to outdo Dave Santana aka “rcplanebuyer.” I didn’t think he was doing grates right now, but maybe his material supply issues are improving.

I think the other non-OEM manufacturers haven’t caught up with the new Genesis yet. One question I have is are the grates any different in size than for a Genesis II? If they are the same (at least for a pair fitting) then you might have more options. The best imported stainless grates are all likely to have that middle bar, though.

I hope you can keep looking and find what you want. Keep us posted!
Thanks, Jon. Dave Santana replied via eBay and indicated that materials costs are still too prohibitive for him to be making grates right now. He tentatively thought the flavor bars he makes to fit the Genesis II 300-series would fit my 2022 Genesis EPX-335, but hasn't had the chance to confirm. I'm going to measure and see if that's the case. Onward in the grates search!

Andrew, congrats on the new grill and welcome! I think your grasp on the grate situation for that grill is pretty good. Your best chance to get 9mm SS rod grates without a middle support bar are probably rcplanebuyer if you can get him to make you a set. Until the aftermarket starts rolling out more offerings, the stainless 9mm grates that come on an Ace Hardware special edition grill are probably the best, goofy hole in middle notwithstanding. I would probably just use what came with the grill until I could get choice 1. Keep us updated on what you decide to do. Of course I hope someone here knows something I don't and offers a more immediate solution! Edit: I was still typing when Jon's post went up, which is why we both basically said the same thing LOl.
Thanks for the tip on the Ace versions! I'll look into them.

Weber doesn't list a number yet, but the 9mm Stainless Grates for model 35383301 - SP-E-325s will work, their 800# should be able to look up the actual part number (#7 in the schematic) - they do have three 9mm cross member supports however.

Weber doesn't list a number yet, but the 9mm Stainless Grates for model 35383301 - SP-E-325s will work, their 800# should be able to look up the actual part number (#7 in the schematic) - they do have three 9mm cross member supports however.
This is very helpful, thanks. I can live with the middle bar, just slightly more difficult to keep clean. I was on the phone with Weber this morning and they identified the part you alluded to (it is part# 64645) and are looking into fit. If that checks out, this might be my best option for the moment.

My plan is to buy heat reflectors and flavor bars from rcplanebuyer and, if possible, these 9mm Weber grates. I should be able to pay for these upgrades by just selling what came on the EPX-335 on eBay. IMO great upgrades for possibly no additional net cost.

Have a look at this set from Qlimetal advertised as being for the Genesis II. Seems like they also will fit your new model Genesis. Can you measure to be sure?

Qlimetal is among the very best of imported stainless grates. These are 9mm 304 stainless (Weber I believe are 430 stainless) and while they do have one support bar, that is better than two! I have had good success with products from Qlimetal. With rcplanebuyer not making grates right now, this may be the best option currently available.

Have a look at this set from Qlimetal advertised as being for the Genesis II. Seems like they also will fit your new model Genesis. Can you measure to be sure?

Qlimetal is among the very best of imported stainless grates. These are 9mm 304 stainless (Weber I believe are 430 stainless) and while they do have one support bar, that is better than two! I have had good success with products from Qlimetal. With rcplanebuyer not making grates right now, this may be the best option currently available.

Thanks for raising the Qulimetal grate question here, Jon. Much appreciated. I saw some debate on these on this forum so backburnered them, but if they are 304 and Weber is 430, they'd be my choice. In the running...

Congrats on your new grill and welcome to the board! Not to open up a can of worms (or Pandora's box) but what about Grill Grates? There are mixed feelings on those on this board but I'd think they would be better than the cast iron grates you have.

Congrats on your new grill and welcome to the board! Not to open up a can of worms (or Pandora's box) but what about Grill Grates? There are mixed feelings on those on this board but I'd think they would be better than the cast iron grates you have.
Thanks! To be honest -- and this is a personality quirk more than a comment on Grill Grates -- I like to keep things extremely clean and I just think I'd drive myself crazy trying to degunk and degrease every nook and cranny of the GG. I'm also a bit traditional and like the look of the SS rod setup. It's very possible I'm leaving a better outcome on the table, and that's on me.

Thanks! To be honest -- and this is a personality quirk more than a comment on Grill Grates -- I like to keep things extremely clean and I just think I'd drive myself crazy trying to degunk and degrease every nook and cranny of the GG. I'm also a bit traditional and like the look of the SS rod setup. It's very possible I'm leaving a better outcome on the table, and that's on me.
Gotcha...yah, sounds like stainless rods and a chargon would be a good set up for you then. Hoping RC can make a set for you.

You can use 9mm Genesis II 3xx grates, but they may interfere with the Crafted rack. If you don't mind removing the rack, you can use QuliMetal or other nice grates from Amazon.

Hi folks, update from Weber:
"Congratulations on your new grill! I understand you are looking to purchase 9mm stainless steel grates. Unfortunately at this time these grates are only available on our specialty grills and not available for purchase. We do however offer the 7mm stainless steel cooking grates for $147.00. If you would like to purchase these please let me know and i can call you to have this order placed."
My cynical guess is that they're not making 9mm grates available (even though it sounds like Genesis II 3xx grates in 9mm will work; thanks to folks that pointed this out) to keep people from buying less expensive grills and upgrading components. In favor of 304 ss, I'm going to order the Qulimetal grates and see how they work. I also ordered rcplanebuyer's heat reflectors and flavor bars. I'll update with the outcome.

I was at my Ace store in little Brazil, IN today. They have two new Genesis grills. The more expensive one featured really nice looking 9mm stainless (430 I am pretty sure) grates. These are divided unequally to accommodate the Crafted Kitchen add-ons. I would think, surely, you can buy a replacement set from Weber, but maybe not. They may want to make you buy the pricier grill and keep you from just upgrading as you are hoping. Here is a picture of what I looked at:

New Genesis Tech 9mm Stainless Grates.jpeg

I was at my Ace store in little Brazil, IN today. They have two new Genesis grills. The more expensive one featured really nice looking 9mm stainless (430 I am pretty sure) grates. These are divided unequally to accommodate the Crafted Kitchen add-ons. I would think, surely, you can buy a replacement set from Weber, but maybe not. They may want to make you buy the pricier grill and keep you from just upgrading as you are hoping. Here is a picture of what I looked at:

View attachment 56802
And those have the removable round section as well?

I'm going to order the Qulimetal grates and see how they work. I also ordered rcplanebuyer's heat reflectors and flavor bars.
This is exactly what I just did for my ‘98 Genesis 3000. The Qulimetal grates are really nice and beefy, I’m very pleased with them. Dave’s flavor bars should be here Monday!

I'll have to stop and look at them next time I'm in Ace Hardware since I'm not picturing what you mean(not unusual for me)
Check out the thread that @Paul Warner started earlier. There’s a good look at the Crafted frame for the Genesis in there. At least, that’s what I assumed you meant, since the grate in question was split to match the width of the Crafted frame.

Back