SRF American Wagyu corned beef is back at Costco

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Mine had some other kind of corned beef last weekend. Looked good though was big. 4-4.5 lb sections...

Unfortunately I just made my pastrami for now..... I tried rump roast this time. Most of your deli types are actually made from round and say so on the package. I'll check and see if they got the srf.... I'd buy one or two and freeze them if they did

Attachments

• PXL_20240305_000331571.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240305_000331571.MP.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Mine has had “Morton” corned beef brisket flats for a couple of weeks. I crock potted a pair of those last year and they were excellent! I might try a pastrami with an SRF round.. I’ll see if my store has them

Costco by me had SRF FOR $ 8.99 LB a week or so ago but were gone this week. I just picked up these and they are soaking overnight. I'll likely smoke these for pastrami on Saturday.

20240307_185556.jpg

Thanks for the heads up on the Costco deal Chris.
I didn’t know about it.
I will pick some up.

I found this add a few days ago and the wife is all set on it so I’m going to get that too.
Happy wife happy life and all that.

I can chose between point and round so I’m gonna get some point.

IMG_0994.jpeg

Usually purchased corned beef is significant water weight in the meat..... Because they've injected it untill it's squishy. 20- 30% Solution.

My results have always tasted better to me... Simply curing my own using Morton tender quick in the refrigerator. Only takes a week... Maybe preservative or something they put in the solution for the packaged ones affect the taste a bit. You don't have to get carried away with it. I've used corned beef when I needed it ...now.... But with a week's planning...no problem

Most corned beef so kind of small for the effort. If you want 1.5 lb of pastrami when you're done..... Just go buy it... It will cost you less overall. If you're going to go through all the trouble.... Might as well do a bunch and freeze it

Last edited:
Usually purchased corned beef is significant water weight in the meat..... Because they've injected it untill it's squishy. 20- 30% Solution.

My results have always tasted better to me... Simply curing my own using Morton tender quick in the refrigerator. Only takes a week... Maybe preservative or something they put in the solution for the packaged ones affect the taste a bit. You don't have to get carried away with it. I've used corned beef when I needed it ...now.... But with a week's planning...no problem

Most corned beef also kind of small for the effort. If you want 1.5 lb of pastrami when you're done..... Just go buy it... It will cost you less overall. If you're going to go through all the trouble.... Might as well do a bunch and freeze it. You only get a couple of decent sandwiches per pound. I'm a bit partial to Reuben sandwiches....
1000002164.jpg

I went into our local Costco as soon as it opened today to get a few things.
I notice that the wagu corned beef was on sale.
The sell price was minus $4 from the posted price on these cuts of meat.
We now have more in the freezer.

I think next year I’ll just wait until they get discounted before I buy some.

If I water soaked a corned beef brisket flat to get rid of salt could I just bbq it like a normal brisket flat?

have several cuts of the corned beef round and briskets since I found them cheap and thought I’d just bbq one with coarse pepper and maybe some garlic powder.

Is this a bad idea once the manufacturer has processed these?
Thanks.
Andy.

If I water soaked a corned beef brisket flat to get rid of salt could I just bbq it like a normal brisket flat?

have several cuts of the corned beef round and briskets since I found them cheap and thought I’d just bbq one with coarse pepper and maybe some garlic powder.

Thanks.
Andy.
Sure. you could use any spice rub you like and ,

Thanks.
Andy.
all you have there is a cured meat. go for it any way you'd like to prepare and enjoy it. just don't add salt. it'll be good either way.

Thanks guys.
I’m not really a fan of corned beef.
I don’t hate it, I’m just not all into it like my family is.
We have enough of these to do a few cooks and I was hoping that this nice looking one could be cooked as a normal flat without the corned taste.

Thanks guys.
I’m not really a fan of corned beef.
I don’t hate it, I’m just not all into it like my family is.
We have enough of these to do a few cooks and I was hoping that this nice looking one could be cooked as a normal flat without the corned taste.
soak for 2 days and rinse/replace the water every 8-12 hours. more water in the vessel will allow for more salted water to leave the corned beef.

Last edited:

Back