Split Log Smoke Wood in the Weber Smoker

I’ve done that, it worked well enough but, I don’t always have a split. I need to get to know some of the fruit farmers around here!

I just came into a bunch of CA white oak which i've been splitting in spare time. LMK if you're coming up Hwy 50 past Sacramento and I'd be glad to share some with you. It's from a recently fallen oak in El Dorado Hills, CA. It's not Post Oak but it sure does add some nice flavor to pizzas and when smoking meats. And that class you took sounds like a lot of fun.

Been there done that several times over the years. Since I have a M1 stick wood burner & always have stick wood around. Some times I start it in the bottom like Chris did & sometimes I just lay it across the top. That being said wood is wood. And it all comes out about the same with BBQ.
Like Chris said I cant tell a big taste difference. Sometimes I will even throw a stick wood next to the hot charcoals to get a flame going to sear a steak ect.

I don't see how it would be any different than using chunks. Unless it catches fire and flames , then its not similating stick burner smoke.

Chris - Good video. Would like more info on your temp management with this method. That seemed like a lot of fire to start a low and slow cook. What was your vent setup and what temps did you keep your cooker at? I usually use minion with less than half the amount of lit coals to start.

Back