Spiral sliced ham?

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I'm not daring enough to smoke a fresh ham yet, and the family just loves the spiral-sliced job we get from Wegman's each Christmas, so that's what we got again this year. Due to shortness of oven space (our oven is smaller than the in-laws, where we've spent the last few Christmases), I was planning to heat/glaze the ham on my WSM.

In the oven, I'd normally go about 2 hours at 350 to be sure it's heated through, so I assume the same time & temp would work on the WSM? I'm probably going to foil it for the first hour to get it most of the way there, then start laying on the glaze in 15 minute intervals until it's done. Obviously, it's already smoked, so I'm not planning to use any smoke wood, just a 50/50 mix of lump and briquettes. I'm also guessing I should leave the water pan (foiled with foil-wrapped bricks) in as a heat shield so the ham doesn't burn to the bottom of the roasting pan.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Just did a spiral cut ham, 1 small chunk of apple wood, cooked at about 300 til IT was 140, came out great, good luck!

I think you've got a plan. I heated my ham along with the turkey I smoked for thanksgiving I left the ham unwrapped which was probably a mistake since I didn't need any more smoke but it got more smoke and kind of dried out. The instructions say to take the ham up to a certain internal. My temp was kind of in between 300 and 350 so if you cant maintain that temp you may need more time. But I doubt it. It is already cooked and cured.

Spiral sliced hams I do low& slow and one of the few times I use water to maintain 225ish. I like to double smoke mine with either some sugar maple or additional hickory.
I've done em many times on the WSM and always follow this as a guideline. http://virtualweberbullet.com/ham2.html
HTH

Tim

great advice, I'm going to get mine tomorrow and smoke it on xmas..............

as usual what a great site.

chris

Spiral sliced hams I do low& slow and one of the few times I use water to maintain 225ish. I like to double smoke mine with either some sugar maple or additional hickory.
I've done em many times on the WSM and always follow this as a guideline. http://virtualweberbullet.com/ham2.html
HTH

Tim

Yeah, I did a search and found that after posting. :eek: Guess I should make an effort to look for the answer before asking the question. Anyhoo, that sounds like the way to go. Now I'm thinking about putting the ham on the lower grate so I can roast my Brussels sprouts on the top rack. I usually do them at a higher temp with some bacon, shallots and balsamic vinegar, but a longer, lower cook with a finish under the broiler would probably work just as well.

HTH

Tim

I agree with the above. Do not overcook, or it will dry out on you too easily. The last spiral sliced ham I did I overcooked it to 145 degrees. It was very dry. The next one will be pulled at 120 as the linked recipe recommends.

Back