Spicy Mango with Jalapeno smoked chicken sausage.

DanHoo

TVWBB Olympian
I'm hoping to re-create aidells spicy mango with jalepeno sausage.

I am going to start with a small batch and may split the batch to vary the sweetness and heat.

This will be my first attempt at sausage and I'm starting to research all the great post's I've found, though if anyone has specifics to share I'm completely open to suggestions.

1645477595204.png

1645477697265.png

Dark meat chicken. You can add some white but the fat is needed so the sausages are moist. I’d also render some chicken skin an incorporate the fat into your meat mix. If you’re making this today, I believe Corti brothers will have casings in stock. Maybe Adam’s next to TJs in Folsom has casings too. Call to find out. If not today, Amazon sells a variety of casings.

Thanks, I'm not making them today, just starting to plan this. The ingredient list seems pretty straightforward. It will take some experimenting to dial in the heat and sweet.

I was planning to get the LEM casings from amazon, 4.6 stars with 2500+ reviews ? Is there a better choice?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FFAGFWW/?tag=tvwb-20

Dan, chicken sausage can be a little tricky, mostly in terms of getting fat content right so you don't end up with a mealy texture. THIS RECIPE for a smoked chicken sausage would be a good base to start from. I use .3% jalapeno in my jalapeno/cheese sausage (so, .3% of your total meat/fat weight.) Of course, that depends on your heat preference, and the spiciness of your particular jalapeños.

Those casings will work fine. Just prep them well prior to stuffing! :)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

R

Dan, chicken sausage can be a little tricky, mostly in terms of getting fat content right so you don't end up with a mealy texture. THIS RECIPE for a smoked chicken sausage would be a good base to start from. I use .3% jalapeno in my jalapeno/cheese sausage (so, .3% of your total meat/fat weight.) Of course, that depends on your heat preference, and the spiciness of your particular jalapeños.

Those casings will work fine. Just prep them well prior to stuffing! :)

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

R
Exactly. Over mixing the meat will deliver a hot dog texture, which isn’t desired in chicken. Kind of like the snap in a Vietnamese meatball. Over mix and over processed will create a “snap” dog type sausage. Not what you’re likely going for.

When I grind chicken, I single grind only. Double grind and the thigh meats turns to slop.

I’d recco cubing your chicken pre-grind and mixing in all your ingredients to then single-run through the grinder. And use the large plate to cut (I think it’s 4mm). This way you’ll have nice sized meat with good incorporation.

Then you’ll just need to drop it through the stuffer, which is it’s own challenge so as to not overstuff your sausages when processing them. Make your large ring and then go back to apportion and make links after you’ve stuffed all your casings.

Are you planning on smoking them or just freezing them fresh?

When I lived in NY, we had an Italian market that made chicken, cheese and parsley skinny sausage rings. Those were so amazing on the grill. I’d love to recreate that recipe one day.

Ok, a few questions.

I'm leaning towards all thighs.

The recipe @Rich G shared is 40% Dark 40% white %20 skin and fat.

Does it need the skin? Can another fat be used ? I have pork fat trimming from a couple of pork shoulders that has not been rendered.

as far as my cooking plans, I would like to freeze them fully cooked.

One of my frequent cooks with the sausage is this:

one pound of the sausage sliced up in bite size pieces.
a couple red, yellow or orange peppers sliced bite size
A large onion or two sliced bite size. Often I'll use Red.
a pound of 21-25 count shrimp tails off, sliced in half butterfly style, or if using 40 count I cook them whole.

Its a fast cook and I deglaze with chardonnay then add soy, or red boat fish sauce and serve over rice.

The heat of the sausage carries over into the entire meal as a nice warm sweet heat.

Ok, a few questions.

I'm leaning towards all thighs.

The recipe @Rich G shared is 40% Dark 40% white %20 skin and fat.

Does it need the skin? Can another fat be used ? I have pork fat trimming from a couple of pork shoulders that has not been rendered.

as far as my cooking plans, I would like to freeze them fully cooked.
That skin through a grinder often doesn’t grind (in my grinder which isn’t pro level). The fat is needed thus why it has the skin in it.

When I make kabobs, ground chicken kind, I used to do a mix of white and dark. The white meat is too dry and causes the kabob to fail. I’ve since gone 100% dark meat as it holds better and has better fat content (and flavor).

IMO, if you were to go all dark, I’d skip the skin. If you’re wanting to add some lean white in, I’d mince the skin up before grinding it so as to get best incorporation.

Make a small batch, and make a patty and pan fry it to build your recipe for taste profile. This is the easiest way to test any ground meat recipe.

And yes, you can use the pork fat. It will change the taste ever so slightly but it’s worth a shot.

I watched a video on Texas smoked links and to get the fat content to where a sausage needs to be, they were adding pork fat to their beef links as the brisket trimmings used for links didn’t have enough fat content. That fat helps cook the meat, and keeps the sausages moist and not sawdust like if they’re too lean.

Last edited:
Yeah, Dan, when I make sausages, I ALWAYS fry a small patty after mixing in the seasoning (thoroughly) to check for taste..... Definite must!

You can totally use some pork fat in lieu of chicken skin/fat, all depends on what you want in your sausage. I usually do just that, as pork fat makes everything better! :)

I have rarely made poultry sausages, but I have always just used boneless/skinless chicken thighs (so 100% dark meat), but that's just me. You could always start with one pound batches of just bulk sausage (you can eat those patty style) until you get the profile where you want it before stuffing a full, 5lb (or more) batch.

R

One of my frequent cooks with the sausage is this:

one pound of the sausage sliced up in bite size pieces.
a couple red, yellow or orange peppers sliced bite size
A large onion or two sliced bite size. Often I'll use Red.
a pound of 21-25 count shrimp tails off, sliced in half butterfly style, or if using 40 count I cook them whole.

Its a fast cook and I deglaze with chardonnay then add soy, or red boat fish sauce and serve over rice.

The heat of the sausage carries over into the entire meal as a nice warm sweet heat.
Sounds so gooood!

I'm hoping to re-create aidells spicy mango with jalepeno sausage.

I am going to start with a small batch and may split the batch to vary the sweetness and heat.

This will be my first attempt at sausage and I'm starting to research all the great post's I've found, though if anyone has specifics to share I'm completely open to suggestions.

View attachment 45874

View attachment 45875

Costco has these in stock again. 13.99 for three, one pound packages.

ready to heat at 4.70 lb...

I may try making my own someday, but until then I stocked up on a few packages.

Back