Spicy Hoisin Beef

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
Last nights dinner - great idea ,needs some tweaking. First, should have known better but the sauce should go on late, not before grilling. Grilling kind of killed the flavor but it was tasty. Here,s the recipe as I found it:

Spicy Hoisin Skirt Steak

Ingredients 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice

canola oil, for the grill

2 tablespoons hoisin sauce

1 teaspoon sriracha or other hot pepper sauce

1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces

1 English cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced

2 scallions, thinly sliced (white and green part separated)

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

1/2 teaspoon sugar

Kosher salt and black pepper

1/4 cup salted roasted peanuts, chopped

Directions: 1. Heat the grill to medium-high. Cook the rice according to the package directions.

2. Meanwhile, oil grill. In a small bowl, stir together the hoisin and sriracha. Brush the mixture on the steak and grill, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.

3. In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber and scallion whites with the vinegar, sugar and 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Serve with steak and rice and sprinkle with the peanuts and scallion greens.

IMG_20120426_183016.jpg

IMG_20120426_183324.jpg

I had flank steak on hand so i used that instead of skirt

IMG_20120426_184518.jpg

IMG_20120426_183635.jpg

IMG_20120426_184124.jpg

I had a red pepper so I added that

IMG_20120426_190630.jpg

Served on brown rice (I had brown basmati in the pantry)

IMG_20120426_192434.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Excellent looking meal and photos Joel! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yeah, nice work!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Correll:
Terrific looking cook Joel!
Looks like your hosta is doing well too, ours were up early this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep everything is booming. Tulips and daffodils have been and gone, all very green.

Lampe I was waiting for your usual restrained comments
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JimK:
Gotta try this one. Very nice meal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do - but make sure to apply the sauce later so it doesn't burn and burn away. I re-heated leftovers tonight - warmed up the meat in a new batch of the sauce + a dash of soy and it was much better!

Thanks

Back