Spares on 22 - 6 racks

Mac LA

TVWBB Super Fan
Hello Everyone,

Going to be doing 6 racks on the 22 this weekend and was wondering if the will the rub all jacked up since the tops will inevitably drip on the bottoms...

Thoughts?

Is it minimal?

Hello Everyone, Going to be doing 6 racks on the 22 this weekend and was wondering if the will the rub all jacked up since the tops will inevitably drip on the bottoms... Thoughts? Is it minimal?
Rack em! :)
AEE54507-2129-4E4D-8E0C-0BB0AA4F4FB0_zpsa0yi1wzh.jpg

I'd never rack! : P One of the main reasons I opted for a 22.

Mostly though, that would require me going out and spending more $$$.

I'd never rack! : P One of the main reasons I opted for a 22. Mostly though, that would require me going out and spending more $$$.
Your definitely going to have drippings from one grate to the other. If you lightly oil the ribs before applying the rub to them, the rub will probably stay in place on the ribs that are being dripped on. I mop my ribs after the first hour and every hour there after and the rub doesn't wash off when doing that. I don't brush when I mop, I just dab the mop sauce on the ribs

Your definitely going to have drippings from one grate to the other. If you lightly oil the ribs before applying the rub to them, the rub will probably stay in place on the ribs that are being dripped on. I mop my ribs after the first hour and every hour there after and the rub doesn't wash off when doing that. I don't brush when I mop, I just dab the mop sauce on the ribs

I will try that with peanut oil I've been wanting to give a go; usually rub with mustard, or nothing.

What's with the wood chucks on the grill?
Smoke Flavoring. I've found that if I throw the wood chunks in with the charcoal, they catch on fire in the kettle. Rarely have they caught on fire when I put them just above the charcoal, they just smolder away :maroonkettle:

I'd say it's minimum. You see most of the big rigs have multiple cooking racks maybe 3~4 high.
I would rotate mid cook top to bottom just cause I get better color on the top rack. ( running with an empty foiled pan w/airspace )

Tim

I'd say it's minimum. You see most of the big rigs have multiple cooking racks maybe 3~4 high.
I would rotate mid cook top to bottom just cause I get better color on the top rack. ( running with an empty foiled pan w/airspace )

Tim

I thought about that too, just dislike opening the lid mid-cook; think I'll have to this cook. I run with a small bit of sand - stands the same or run completely empty?

Cool, 275 is my go-to also. But that's right at the borderline where using a sink like sand or a terracotta saucer can cause temp spikes.

Tim

Cool, 275 is my go-to also. But that's right at the borderline where using a sink like sand or a terracotta saucer can cause temp spikes.

Tim

Really? I was not aware of this. I was under the impression that the heats sinks are suppose to aid in big temp swings...???

I've only really have 2 cooks utilizing sand but it's seems more stable than without (at least in the beginning). I can always empty out and see how she performs since I've got more cooks under her.

Really? I was not aware of this. I was under the impression that the heats sinks are suppose to aid in big temp swings...???.

Yes to a certain Temp. Water as a sink does one thing cause it boils @ 212 and as-long as you replenish it acts as a great sink no matter how hot your fire gets. Sand or a terracotta saucer act as a thermal mass like a cast iron pan.
Once you heat that up to a certain temp it starts to release that energy and it takes a while to cool down.

Tim

Yes to a certain Temp. Water as a sink does one thing cause it boils @ 212 and as-long as you replenish it acts as a great sink no matter how hot your fire gets. Sand or a terracotta saucer act as a thermal mass like a cast iron pan.
Once you heat that up to a certain temp it starts to release that energy and it takes a while to cool down.

Tim

Good info, thanks Tim!

I'll most likely try it without sand this week in order to see how the smokers characteristics have changed, if any.

Hey Mac.... I assume you are talking about a WSM. You won't have any trouble with the drippings affecting the lower rack if you use rib racks. I did 9 racks on my 22 WSM, 5 on the top rack and 4 on the lower. I used Weber's rib rack on each. They were the best ribs I've ever done.

Kewl. Looking forward to your cook and pics:wsm:
Tim

You know it!!! :wsm22:

Hey Mac.... I assume you are talking about a WSM. You won't have any trouble with the drippings affecting the lower rack if you use rib racks. I did 9 racks on my 22 WSM, 5 on the top rack and 4 on the lower. I used Weber's rib rack on each. They were the best ribs I've ever done.

Yes the wsm. If I need to squeeze more than 6 racks, I'll look into a rib rack but for now, I think I'll roll with it.

Thanks everyone! pics to come.

If I need to squeeze more than 6 racks, I'll look into a rib rack
I'll be honest, there was a time I would never use a rib rack, for no other reason than "just because." Now....I'd use a rib rack, if I only had one slab to cook. I've become a fan of the rack

If the rubs are the same is dripping going to adversely affect the lower rack??

Guys do drip pan beans to collect dripping I feel like this would enhance the flavor.

Like previous poster mentioned rotate racks to offset temp difference.

If you really don't want dripping, You can roll ribs into circles triangulate, and make sure the top rack and bottom rack positions don't over lap.

Back