Spares Expert needed for answers

Clay Jackson

TVWBB Super Fan
I have tried cooking spares and I just cannot figure them out. Will someone, who has some time, walk me through from opening the package to pulling them off the grill?

I know that is a lot to ask, but I am missing something. I'm not sure what it is. My loin backs are great. Just cannot figure out these darn spares.

My hungry family thanks you in advance.

Chris already did a whole prep thing on the website. Spare Ribs
Check it out and see if it helps.

Too many people forget about all the info on the WEBSITE. When you have a question... always check there.
icon_wink.gif
If you need more info, plenty of people here to give it.

Also, the 3-2-1 method is pretty reliable. 3 hrs smoking, 2 hrs in foil, and another hr in the smoke to tighten them up.

I prefer a 4-1-1. Or a 3 1/2-1-1 1/2.

Start with the basics and then determine your cooking method (times). Good luck.

You didn't really indicate the specfic problem or dissatisfaction you were having with your spares ... ? I think the prep section from the mainsite, already mentioned on a post above, is all you need in that regard. I like the mustard slather to hold the rub on. Tenderness of the ribs is very, very personal. I like them tender with a little chew, but NOT fallin' off the bone tender. For me, 45 min foil at the 4 hr mark works, then finish without foil for whatever time it takes to make them toothpick tender between the bones and the bones receding about 1/4 th inch.

Paul

The difficulty with spares is judgeing when to foil and for how long. Like a lot of others , I foil when the color looks right....usually at around 4 hours....then foil for around an hour...sometimes less....sometimes more.

Then firm them up uncovered....usually for around an hour, but sometimes more.

When I first started with the wsm, I found that baby backs usually took less time than I figured for each process, while spares often took longer than I figured for each process.

(I tended to overcook the baby backs, and undercooked the spares).

They are tricky...but you'll get it.

Although I like the taste of spares and I've figured out how to cook them to my desired tenderness, the thing that I struggle with is trimming them just right (St. Louis or KC style) so that there is no cartilage on the main section of the spares. That's not an issue with baby backs so I usually opt for those. I've reviewed the section of the site that deals with the preparation (and many other sites) but I still find it difficult to determine the "line" that should be followed when cutting them from one end to the other so that the cartilage stays on the smaller section. I suppose that just comes with experience.

My main problem is the trimming. I have trouble following Chris' advice on the kansas city vs the st louis style. What is the cut expected to be for a competition? I have the sharp sharp knife, but not sure which cut is correct.

I do it a bit different. Spares are spares - not large baby backs.

I do not trim off the meaty parts. I.E. no St. Louis stuff. I get the butcher to remove the membrane. I give the ribs a good coating of my but rub (use a 50/50 mix of seasoned salt & brown sugar if you are in a pinch). I do two racks at once using a rib rack. I cut the rack in roughly half. The larger size on the outside of the rib rack - hanging outward. Smaller parts on the inside. Note: The salty part will be compensated later with a sweet sause so it is ok.

I set up my WSM for a low cook, minion method. I use liberal amounts of apple wood. My main goal is to keep the temp low.

Put the ribs on for six hours. Check that the smoke keeps going; check your temps settle down. Add wood as necessary. Keep the temp low. If your temps run too hot cut an hour(+) off the smoke. If they run low open vents.

The WSM is too hot if you can't touch the palms of your hands to the lid. The temp is too low if if you don't feel pain.

At 5-1/2 hours open. Look at the bones. The meat should be pulled back from the tip of the bones a good quarter inch or so. Rip a small piece of meat from one of the larger rib; taste good. If it looks done... it SHOULD pull off semi easy (doneness test).

In a bowl mix 4 parts KC bbq & 1 part honey plus a table spoon or so of the butt rub. Paint on the ribs. Open the vents wide open. Let cook another 30 at higher temp.

Tell the wife to expect food in 45 minutes so she can prep the other fixings. When Pull in 30 and let rest 15 to 20. AFTER resting cut the bones.

Do not foil while resting - the smell starts a pavalov response from everyone.

-d

Good write up Dave! Thanks for the contribution.

I'm a little afraid to try the "touch the lid" test with the palm of my hand. Could you put that threshold level in terms of an approximate lid temp if measured with a thermometer?

Happy Easter!

JimT

Hay Jim.

Say 210ish or lower. The temp that happens during a calm day in the summer when I close all but my bottom vents but one.

-

Wow didn't realize so many used foil on their spares. I like my spares to be pull apart tender but I don't want them to fall off the bone and I always seem to cook mine for 8 hours at about 225-250.
They come out very tender, never dry and the bones are easily picked clean.
The cut I cook depends on where I buy them. If I happen to have a cryo pack of untrimmed spares from CostCo I will only remove the membrane. If I get them from my other source (Peoria Packing) I will have them trim the tips off and crack the chines with the band saw. Either way turns out great and either way I but the slabs in half and use rib racks to hold them all.
Still think the best slabs of spares I ever made were ones when a buddy dropped off some tri-tips for that I was going to make on my Silver B but also dropped of 2 slabs of ribs and asked to to make them. As I wasn't planning on using my smoker for anything that day but had 2 other grills full, I didn't have much time to put much effort into the ribs. So I rubbed them, and tossed a slab on each rack of the smoker. They cooked for 8 hours without so much as lifting the lid once during the cook and turned out amazing. That is when I realzied that sometimes less is more...
Jamie

Rub ribs just prior to cooking (go light on the salt) with the spices you like. Spares and beef ribs-7 hours no higher that 230 lid. Baby backs-6 hours no higher than 230 lid. Try to go easy on the smoke. Two hours with visable smoke is enough for most tastes. Sauce one side 30 minutes before finish. Turn and sauce the other side 15 minutes before finish. No foil. This has never failed me. I like my ribs tender, but not falling off the bone.

Foil does not automatically equal falling-off-the-bone. Many who foil don't like ribs cooked to that point either.

The time spent in the foil is what is key. A relatively short time will not lead to FOTB ribs; a relatively long time will.

I never sauce ribs (just serve sauce(s) on the side) and do not liked them served to me that way. Different strokes.

Originally posted by Jamieson Syrek... why do you foil at all? Simply to speed things up ?
That's my reason, plus sometimes spares can be a little too chewy for me even when fully cooked.

Paul

I do it to add a subtle flavor layer of fruit in the background. It does shorten the cook as well. When neither are a consideration I don't always foil.

Originally posted by Jamieson Syrek:

The cut I cook depends on where I buy them. If I happen to have a cryo pack of untrimmed spares from CostCo I will only remove the membrane. If I get them from my other source (Peoria Packing) I will have them trim the tips off and crack the chines with the band saw.
Jamie

Hey Jamie - when at Peoria do you use the term "crack the chines"? I ask because I've never had a problem with getting them to trim the tips but the chine cracking is problematic. I just figured it was a language problem (mine - my Spanish gets me cold beer and tacos al pastor, not much more) but after seeing your post was wondering if there's a "secret phrase" that they understand better. Just curious.

Karl, I usually just ask them to trim the tips off and to crack the chine bones. Never had a problem getting it done and pretty sure they have even asked me if I wanted that done on their own when I brought the ribs up to the counter.
Jamie
Go Cubs!

I noticed a bunch of comp. Q'ers foil for the purpose of using liquid or semi liquid ingrediants through there cook. Some use honey, agave nectar, or butter. I have some spares on the smoker now that im experimenting with. I went with a nice sweet spicy rub, no foil for 2 hours at 225/250 hood temp. Then I put butter and honey over the racks or spares and foiled for 2 hrs. Thats where they are now. Im going to keep them on for another huor to 2 hours until done. Im shooting for that sweet/spicy flavor that people talk about! I will let you know what happens
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Clay Jackson:
My main problem is the trimming. I have trouble following Chris' advice on the kansas city vs the st louis style. What is the cut expected to be for a competition? I have the sharp sharp knife, but not sure which cut is correct.

I find the longest bone and using it as a guide, cut parallel to the ends of the bones. I trim the flap on the bone side and remove the membrane. I trim the point of meat off the short rib end. When complete, I have a rectangle.

For "fall off the bone", I use 3-2-1 but can let the "1" last longer if needed. When I wrap I use brown sugar, agave nectar, parkay, and tiger sauce.

During the last "hour", I spritz with apple juice over the dry looking spots about every 20 min or so. This last "hour" can last a bit longer so I get the right color I am looking for.

Back