Spare Ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJ Polke

TVWBB Member
Every Spring I ask that age old question - How long to smoke spare ribs? I see people at 4 hours and 5 hours and 7 hours and 10 hours...Generally speaking, for 3 slabs rolled and tied at the top grate @225*, I take them off at about 9 hours. They are falling off the bone tender - but am I overcooking them? While we're on the subject, how long, generally speaking, for briskets? /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

I would say that is all depends in that every piece of meat is different. Many say they cook it until it hits 195-205 internal temperature. Also everyone has a different taste on what they think is done. Some just can press the meat and know it is done by experience. Come can just look at it is appearance and know. What I would do if I were you sounds so obvious but I dont see many people doing this. At 195 deg. just cut a little piece off and try it out. If you dont like it then go to 200 and try a piece, etc, etc. This way you will know when it is done and have a reference for the next time you cook briskets.

I can just look at chickens and know for sure if they are done perfectly seemingly without looking at the clock or a temperature gauge. It is called experience.

Whatever else I cook, I usually throw a slab of ribs on, too. When I started out, I used to cook ribs at 225-235 for 4-1/2 hours, and they were acceptably done. For some reason, on one cook, I left them on for 5-1/2 hours and found it an improvement in terms of rendering out additional fat. Like most BBQ, times and temps are fortunately forgiving unless you stray really far off the path. I don't think I could wait 9 hours for ribs.

Well, I've only smoked spares twice in my WSM, but at about 5.5 hours I have to be careful removing the slabs from the rib racks w/o them falling apart. It's earily quiet at the dinner table when I serve these. All you hear is falling bones and slight moaning /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Hi PJ,
The falling off the bone tender is exactly the way I like my ribs too! I guess that could be overcooked in some peoples opinion, but not me. I cook baby backs for six hours or so, spares even longer.

As for Brisket I usually end up cooking those for about 12 - 14 hours. I seperate the point and throw that on first by at least a few hours so I can have the burnt ends done as an appetizer or at least with dinner.

Good luck,
-Rich

Hi PJ and welcome!

When I cook spares it routinely takes me 8-9 hours. So, you are not overcooking them. This is especially true if I load the WSM. I also cook at a steady 225? at grate level.

Timing also depends on the weight of each slab. This is very important to notice! I cook my baby's for 6 hours with a couple hours in foil and they come out perfect. They weigh exactly 2 1/4lbs./slab. If you cook for the same time a 1 1/2 lb. slab, you will most likely have meat that HAS fallen off the bone.

As everyone has mentioned, the final taste is VERY subjective, so.....cook them the way YOU like and you will be successful. Seems about 99% of the consuming public likes faling off the bone tenderness.....cooking a little longer will give you that.

As to brisket, plan on 1 1/2 - 2 hrs./lb. Lots depends on whether you leave them whole or separate the flat from the point. Also, how much you trim and most important...how thick the brisket is.

Again, a meat thermo is invaluable for brisket. If you like very tender fall-apart, you need to t take it 195-200?. If you like it sliced, about 180-185? works nice.

Hope this helps!

PJ,
At last weekend cookoff in Mt Vernon, I cooked my spares for 6 hours, including one and one half hour in foil. Unlike Stogie, whose cooking skills I greatly respect, I find cooking longer in foil ends up with meat separating from the bone on the underside of the rib. Unfortunately, these spares were still not tender. I made the mistake of buying the meatiest ribs I could find at Peoria Packing. They probably weighed around 3 lbs each slab, even after trimming to a St. Louis cut.

I also think my mistake was judging doneness merely by how much the meat had shrunk from the bones. Because of the thickness of the meat, what normally appears as being done was not. I should have tested the tenderness of the meat with the toothpick. Live and learn.

As for brisket, my 12 lb packer cut brisket took all of 19 hours to get to 185 degrees--not quite where I wanted it but was running out of time. Another hour or two would have been perfect. Normally I allow up to 2 hours per pound and take it off sooner if done. This weekend, I was running late, so I set the WSM at 250 at the dome the entire cook and it still did not get completely done.

The results of judging showed up my mistakes, placing me around 15th place of 27 teams in three categories (the other being pork). My chicken was 4th, which also reflected a very good cooking experience.

Dale

I like falling off the bone tender also. However, does anybody have trouble slicing the ribs apart when they're cooked to this degree of doneness? I hate it when I have tender falling off the bone meat, and then try to slice the ribs apart, and the meat........well, it just falls off the bone. Looks sloppy, tastes great. Like an animal has been chewing on it. Does anybody cut them apart while not quite done and then finish them off this way? I want perfect looks AND taste. Got four slabs of ribs to prepare this weekend! Theresa

Good point Theresa. I've often wondered if there is a better way to present them. I just don't want to dry them out too much by cutting them early. Perhaps if I seperate them and then foil them at the end of the cook?

Ooops I just said the "F" word! Please don't flame me!

-Rich

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theresa L:
[qb]I hate it when I have tender falling off the bone meat, and then try to slice the ribs apart, and the meat........well, it just falls off the bone. Looks sloppy, tastes great.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Sounds like the makings of a rib sandwich. Chop the meat, mix in some sauce, serve on white bread. Good eats!

Regards,
Chris

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rich T:
[qb]Ooops I just said the "F" word! Please don't flame me![/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>No flames, it's just a tool in the toolbox like any other. Sometimes I use it, sometimes I don't. I like having it both ways!

Regards,
Chris

Theresa.....

Rather than cut them prior to finishing, I would take them out of the foil sooner. Try 30 minutes less in foil and work from that point until you find the perfect time.

There is no exact time it depends on the animal the age since slaughter, weight of the ribs, the temp and air flow in the smoker, what you put on the ribs before cooking and for how long, is there any direct heat involved, did you use foil and is the thermometer calibrated and at the same spot as the meat.
For the meat I buy and the way I prepped them I find 5 to 6 hours at 250 is about right. With spares I don't like to use foil in the smoker. With loin back ribs foil improves the product IMO.
I prep my spares by St. Louis trimming them, peel outer membrane (not inner) apply a very light coat of very high quality mustard, sprinkle with rub for 30 to 120 minutes then smoke. If they get done early sauce wrap in plastice film and hold in a sleeping bag, cooler or Cambro. I've had good success doing just that although I did get beat by a rack of loin backs yesterday /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back