Spare ribs on the Weber Kamado E6

Cooking up two racks of spare ribs. Smithfield brand. Each coming in at around 5.2 lb per rack.

I trimmed off the large bone, a little bit of the bottom end of each rack, and then the flap on the underside. These will be our snack food before the ribs are done.

I'm using Steve Raichlen's rub from his project smoke book for his St Louis style ribs.

I'll be especially watching how often I have to tweak the vents. Which is not usually often.

I'll attach more photos when the cook is done.

Attachments

• 20220218_123957.jpg
    20220218_123957.jpg
    231.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220218_130043.jpg
    20220218_130043.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
The trimmed pieces make wonderful appetizers :). The pieces with the bone that I trimmed are still cooking.

These trim pieces came off the grill after 3 hours. Internal temp 198°.

Attachments

• 20220218_161220.jpg
    20220218_161220.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 15
cook temp, time? wrap, no wrap? wrapped with moisture and butter? some deets please. and if you're happy with your results. and did you use your deflector plate to stabilize temps and ensure even heat dissipation?

cook temp, time? wrap, no wrap? wrapped with moisture and butter? some deets please. and if you're happy with your results. and did you use your deflector plate to stabilize temps and ensure even heat dissipation?

I started at 225° for the first hour. And then went to about 260° for the remainder of the time.

Total cook time for one rack was 3 hours and 45 minutes which seems kind of low. It was passing the push test when I used my probe to probe between the bones. There was little to no resistance. So the part that would have been the St Louis Rib was really good. There were other parts that were a little tough. And when I lifted the rib rack with my tongs it had really good bend and the meat waswas just starting cracking a bit between the bones.

The areas that I probed had a temperature of around 200° between the bones.

The second rack needed an extra 30 minutes. So 4 hours and 15 minutes total cook time for rack number two. I cut that one up and no one ate it. It was too much so we put it in the fridge.

No wrap. No sprits. I did use my deflector plate after I snapped the photograph of the open pit with the wood chunks.

I would say the part of the rack that was the St Louis style rib was tender and moist. And really really good.

There was some areas that were on the spare tip piece, you know the area with a lot of cartilage, that was a little tough and I could not eat it.

Overall I would say I would have preferred if I spent the money on a real thick 2-in steak :)

But lesson learned about spare ribs. It is probably a reason why I stopped cooking spare ribs and when nearly exclusively to St Louis style and sometimes baby back these last few years. I don't think I'll do spare ribs again. Then again, other people have success with spare ribs so I blame me :)

Edit:. Temps were extremely stable. Once I got it to about 260 it stayed there almost 3 hours without any tweaking of the vents...and by then I think the cook was nearly over.

Last edited:
I started at 225° for the first hour. And then went to about 260° for the remainder of the time.

Total cook time for one rack was 3 hours and 45 minutes which seems kind of low. It was passing the push test when I used my probe to probe between the bones. There was little to no resistance. So the part that would have been the St Louis Rib was really good. There were other parts that were a little tough. And when I lifted the rib rack with my tongs it had really good bend and the meat waswas just starting cracking a bit between the bones.

The areas that I probed had a temperature of around 200° between the bones.

The second rack needed an extra 30 minutes. So 4 hours and 15 minutes total cook time for rack number two. I cut that one up and no one ate it. It was too much so we put it in the fridge.

No wrap. No sprits. I did use my deflector plate after I snapped the photograph of the open pit with the wood chunks.

I would say the part of the rack that was the St Louis style rib was tender and moist. And really really good.

There was some areas that were on the spare tip piece, you know the area with a lot of cartilage, that was a little tough and I could not eat it.

Overall I would say I would have preferred if I spent the money on a real thick 2-in steak :)

But lesson learned about spare ribs. It is probably a reason why I stopped cooking spare ribs and when nearly exclusively to St Louis style and sometimes baby back these last few years. I don't think I'll do spare ribs again. Then again, other people have success with spare ribs so I blame me :)

Edit:. Temps were extremely stable. Once I got it to about 260 it stayed there almost 3 hours without any tweaking of the vents...and by then I think the cook was nearly over.
for your notes, my rib cooks are nearly identical to your post here. same times and same temps. i agree that i too was concerned about not enough time at first but the ribs are cooked on the E6 in 3.5-4 hours, consistently, and when averaging 250F over the deflector.

your cook looks great. nice amount of rub and it caramelized well. and i concur on St Lous vs Spares. St Lous are just easier with less junk meat. and the E6 can hold 4 St Lous without issue whereas Spares take up too much real estate IMO.

i recco if you want to do a thick steak, try the Costco (or your butchers) Tomahawk Ribeye. place your coals on lowest level and no deflector. flip the 'hawk a few times and build that crust. it should come out perfect. this is my next adventure. just need a reason to buy the T-hawk as they're huge, as in one could feed 2-3 people.

for your notes, my rib cooks are nearly identical to your post here. same times and same temps. i agree that i too was concerned about not enough time at first but the ribs are cooked on the E6 in 3.5-4 hours, consistently, and when averaging 250F over the deflector.

your cook looks great. nice amount of rub and it caramelized well. and i concur on St Lous vs Spares. St Lous are just easier with less junk meat. and the E6 can hold 4 St Lous without issue whereas Spares take up too much real estate IMO.

i recco if you want to do a thick steak, try the Costco (or your butchers) Tomahawk Ribeye. place your coals on lowest level and no deflector. flip the 'hawk a few times and build that crust. it should come out perfect. this is my next adventure. just need a reason to buy the T-hawk as they're huge, as in one could feed 2-3 people.

Very good data. Thanks for sharing.

We're Sam's club. Pretty similar to costco. Every time I pass the meat section I drool over the tomahawks but I haven't pulled the trigger yet to buy one.

Back