Spaghetti squash two ways

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Diamond Member
Just so we are clear, tonight is one way…..
The MRS picked up a couple squashes, both spaghetti……I cook these 2 ways both really good….I have served it to guests before and the results were hilarious.
Tonight is red sauce style…..your typical spaghetti type sauce with lots of green herbs…lots, livens up the bland squash flavour.
Pound of beef half cooked before the red sauce is added….cooked squash, then pulled then sauce n cheese added.
Garlic toast is a nice accompaniment.

The other squash is early next week I will try to post here too….it will be a garlic butter sauce with shrimp and something like spinach.
This one doesn’t get served in the shell like tonight just do to having perfectly cooked shrimp….if I re cooked it in the shell who knows how terrible it would be.

It is harvest season, tossing some ideas out for you girls and guys to consider…..

Attachments

• IMG_1440.jpeg
    IMG_1440.jpeg
    342.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1441.jpeg
    IMG_1441.jpeg
    275.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1442.jpeg
    IMG_1442.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_1444.jpeg
    IMG_1444.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1445.jpeg
    IMG_1445.jpeg
    261.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1439.jpeg
    IMG_1439.jpeg
    226.4 KB · Views: 14
My wife and I love spaghetti squash, especially with her homemade Italian gravy. Looking forward to your shrimp & squash dish for ideas.

I really like spaghetti squash, in fact we made a meatless spaghetti squash “baked ziti”-type dish yesterday for supper. I’ll be interested to see your shrimp-squash dish.

Thanks for checking it out......it's tastier the one would think being it is a squash dinner.....squash is bland for the most part.
My original ideas for the next dish, the shrimp were pulled from a Bobby Flay recipe and I used similar ingredients......I made a few changes.....who am I to try to improve Flay???
Anyway, if it all goes to plan, I will post in this same thread just to keep them together.
Have some other squash in the house too....the weather has turned for me and it is chilly now....mid west probably has the same weather....it is around 40F here when I get going to work.......tomorrow is scheduled to be 32F.......some squash soup is hopefully in the works.....I have some black angus large size oxtail....some left over sliced brisket, a bunch of short ribs.....I see a few soups in the near future.

Last edited:
Spaghetti squash, browned butter, garlic, capers, lemon and Cajun shrimp.
The Cajun shrimp I make are great so this is a twist to a standard flavour dish.
Options are adding spinach, pine nuts and candied pecans.
We have none of those things right now….so it is what it is.
Fresh Parmesan reggiano…..things go fast, getting into the heat of it…pre pics.
Seasoned squash before roasting, equal parts rub to olive oil for the marinade…..lots of butter…;)

In the next few minutes the butter sauce is made, shrimp is hard seared, and the squash is pulled…….
Adding the squash to the butter sauce to coat, plate with the shrimp and parm…….
Finish with a garlic toast.

Attachments

• IMG_1466.jpeg
    IMG_1466.jpeg
    209.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1467.jpeg
    IMG_1467.jpeg
    305.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_1468.jpeg
    IMG_1468.jpeg
    301.4 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 2
Alright done and cleaned up……
It’s a fast cook besides the squash.
Turned out great almost forgot the acid….the lemon, nailed it at the last second….spinach really makes the dish look more attractive.
Had some good tunes spinning too…good live Bowie…grab a listen to this if you haven’t already…..
The squash as a bland dish…lots of parm, capers, lemon and red pepper flakes go a long way….shrimp was spicy too.
Will be a repeat a few times over then next month while I go on a weight loss journey………November is thin out month…..:cool:

Attachments

• IMG_1479.jpeg
    IMG_1479.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1478.jpeg
    IMG_1478.jpeg
    286.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1477.jpeg
    IMG_1477.jpeg
    313.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1476.jpeg
    IMG_1476.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1475.jpeg
    IMG_1475.jpeg
    427.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1474.jpeg
    IMG_1474.jpeg
    282.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1473.jpeg
    IMG_1473.jpeg
    298.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1472.jpeg
    IMG_1472.jpeg
    293.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1471.jpeg
    IMG_1471.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1470.jpeg
    IMG_1470.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1469.jpeg
    IMG_1469.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 6
I love Spaghetti Squash, except cutting it In half. Some awesome cooks Darryl

Got the fix for you Chuck.
You are cooking it anyways so this doesn't change a thing.........
Pop it in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes.....size of the squash will determine how long you need.....maybe even less than 4 minutes....
This will soften it up....you could almost use a butter knife....
I don't use the microwave myself, I don't mind hacking them apart....it's like I am doing the MRS a favour when I do that....then she continues on and cleans it up and gets it ready for the oven......;)

Pop it in the microwave for 4 to 5 minutes.....size of the squash will determine how long you need.....maybe even less than 4 minutes....
I don't use the microwave myself, I don't mind hacking them apart....it's like I am doing the MRS a favour when I do that....then she continues on and cleans it up and gets it ready for the oven......;)
Darryl, this is how you sell the new knives deal to your wife!!

I wonder if that would work on rutabaga?
Those are a PITA to cut in half and quite dangerous....

Back