Soy Sauce wings

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
Soy sauce wings. My mom made these all the time when I was a kid. She’ braise them in the wok which is the traditional method. Her recipe was pretty simple equal parts soy sauce and brown sugar with 6-8 cloves of minced garlic. Marinate 8 hours to overnight. For really dark wings use half dark soy and half normal.

My recipe is a bit different.

1 cup soy ( I used Kikkoman light sodium) If you want to cut down even more on the sodium Braggs Liquid Aminos will give you the same soy flavor and about 1/2 the sodium of light Soy sauce.
4 table spoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1-2 tablespoons Sambal Oelek
6-8 garlic cloves minced
2 star anise wheels.
1 teaspoon white pepper

In a heavy sauce pan heat all ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 5-10 minutes remove from heat and cool completely. Once cool pour over wings and marinate 8 hours or overnight. (Life got in the way and mine marinated for two days).

I set up the 14” WSM for high temp cook at 325*f. No wood for smoke just KBB.

49483083276_2f5c1efedb_c.jpg

49482599028_bddb33d794_c.jpg

49483082671_136ee1678e_c.jpg

49482592733_bcae066aa8_c.jpg

Last edited:
Like those recipes and I like soy in a lot of things but even the low sodium is a sodium killer for me. The Braggs Liquid Aminos if it tastes like soy would be great, will have to see if I can find it.

Like those recipes and I like soy in a lot of things but even the low sodium is a sodium killer for me. The Braggs Liquid Aminos if it tastes like soy would be great, will have to see if I can find it.

Rich my Safeway (so does our Whole Foods) has the Bragg Liquid Aminos. Usually its by the soy sauce, however I have found it in other areas. Sometimes it is by the Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs makes Apple Cider vinegar too). Or it may be in the health food section if your store has that section.

It is very similar to Soy sauce and if you were told it was I and didn't know you'd wouldn't be able to tell.

One more note if you really want to reduce sodium try and find coconut aminos (Braggs also makes this too). It has the lowest.

Last edited:
Rich my Safeway (so does our Whole Foods) has the Bragg Liquid Aminos. Usually its by the soy sauce, however I have found it in other areas. Sometimes it is by the Apple Cider Vinegar (Braggs makes Apple Cider vinegar too). Or it may be in the health food section if your store has that section.

It is very similar to Soy sauce and if you were told it was I and didn't know you'd wouldn't be able to tell.

One more note if you really want to reduce sodium try and find coconut aminos (Braggs also makes this too). It has the lowest.

Thanks for the reply Case, seeing Barb works at Safeway I'll put her on the hunt for it.

Back