Southern Fried Chicken

M Morrill

TVWBB Member
A while back I found a post from John Solak about fried chicken on the Weber kettle. I made my own version of it but found it a bit lacking (my spices) so while my ribs are cooking I decided to try it again. This time I used chicken thighs and trimmed them up a bit. I made a wash out of hot wing sauce and and eggs and then dipped them in a mixture of flour and spices (garlic, pepper, cayenne, etc...). Fried them in a CI skillet for about 6 minutes per side then indirect for another 20 minutes. Here are the results. I think this is possibly the best tasting thing to ever come off my grill! I wish I had better pictures and a shiny grill but I use mine way too much to keep it nice.

IMG_6620_zpsa7c4ee62.jpg

Eggs, sauce, water

IMG_6630_zps8c6cab12.jpg

CI skillet, vegetable oil on direct heat. One full chimney in a 2 zone layout.

IMG_6631_zpsd9e32602.jpg

About 6 minutes per side. I dripped a bit of oil on the right as I flipped and that is the reason for the flare up. I keep the lid on between flipping.

IMG_6635_zps98e4b325.jpg

Chicken done and sweet potato steak fries cooking.

IMG_6636_zps4a2a7b0a.jpg

Here is my judges turn in! Maybe not the best looking but so good. I will post the ribs later. I just turned them and they look pretty good. I love my weekends.

A couple of pictures did not load for me but from what I read and saw I am impressed. You could make this your signature dish when you win Top Chef.

Fantastic looking chicken and nice addition with the hot sauce!!! You almost have to leave the lid on or your coals will get to hot. One of my biggest concerns was having a grease fire doing this.

Great Lookin' Cookin Morrill!!
I wish I had better pictures and a shiny grill but I use mine way too much to keep it nice.
your photos are terrific and a grill gunked up is best compared to the "showcase girlie-girl grills"

Fantastic looking chicken and nice addition with the hot sauce!!! You almost have to leave the lid on or your coals will get to hot. One of my biggest concerns was having a grease fire doing this.

John,

I worried about that as well. Oil will start to smoke before it gets to the point of igniting. It is really obvious when this happens as you go from golden to dark and dangerous. My grill is about 10 feet from anything flammable so if I have an issue I will just leave the lid on and move away.

I take it for granted that everyone here is careful. The golden rule is "Put the lid on and back away". You can buy a new steak but they don't sell new skin.

That is some fine looking chicken , brother. Adding the wing sauce to the coating is genius. I like the idea of the skillet on the grill too. My wife always hates how greasy the stove top gets when we fry on the stove. This would eliminate that.....I like it.thanks for sharing.

Back