Sous Vide Pork Rib Chop (Technically not BBQ)

GreggP

TVWBB Fan
So my wife and I went The Piggery in Ithaca, NY on Friday and picked up a couple of 1" thick rib chops. I didn't want to screw them up, so I decided on sous vide.

Quick shot of the naked chops:

DSC05263.jpg

Salted the night before.

DSC05264.jpg

Vac-u-sucked and allowed to rest overnight.

DSC05269.jpg

Into the water bath at 10AM, took them out at 5PM.

DSC05270.jpg

Looks like a science experiment.

DSC05276.jpg

Took the chops out....They look pretty gross and naked.

DSC05277.jpg

Another view of the cooked but unseared chop.

DSC05279.jpg

Decided I needed a little bit of greenery. Zucchini with canola and salt:

DSC05282.jpg

Rubbed the chops down with canola and butter.

DSC05284.jpg

Onto the gasser on a sheetpan (does this count as BBQ?). Hit them with a propane torch.

DSC05289.jpg

Seared as best I could...This didn't work out as planned.

DSC05290.jpg

Plated with zucchini.

DSC05291.jpg

All in all, I was very happy. The quality of the meat from The Piggery is always top notch.

A couple of things:

1. I wish I had put pepper on them before vac-u-sucking.
2. The torch didn't give me the sear I wanted. Next time I'm doing it in cast iron over charcoal.

[/QUOTE]
2. The torch didn't give me the sear I wanted. Next time I'm doing it in cast iron over charcoal.[/QUOTE]

you can also put a rack over a hot charcoal chimney...that does a good job.

the chops look good , all the same. :cool:

I hear you. The other weird thing was the lack of rendering of the thick fat caps. I just cut around it and ate the tasty meat.

Still qualifies as "live fire cooking" in my book. Looking forward to seeing the results the next time you make this.

Very nice looking chops. I kind of want to try and do a sous vide cook but like you said the color of the meat coming out looks terrible.

Last edited:
Nice lookin chops, but I've got to say: I've never even thought of doing chops that way.

Thanks, guys - I'd highly recommend this method for thick steaks and I will absolutely be doing it again for pork chops. I'm just going to skip the torch for straight charcoal or cast iron over charcoal.

The advantage is edge-to-edge doneness with a (when done properly) great crust.

Don't have meth lab-esque equipment like me?

Serious Eats has a tutorial on how to sous vide in a beer cooler: http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/04/cook-your-meat-in-a-beer-cooler-the-worlds-best-sous-vide-hack.html

Bet they were good! A quick sear is needed to make it look as good as it is. What time/temp in the bath?

Gregg, you will get higher heat using Mapp gas in the torch instead of propane. Chops look good to me.

Back