Sous Vide Pork Rib Chop (Technically not BBQ)

Is that set-up of your own invention? Isn't the food supposed to circulate in the bath?

I've done a little of this with a friends "machine", though I enjoyed the meat, I felt cheated by the process of cooking, ie., no smells, no smoke in my face, no standing over a stove or grill, well, you get the picture, the cooking enjoyment was kinna "dull". However, if and when they ever bring a decent economical non-commercial model on the market, I might buy one just to have around. Until then, there's always poaching in a temp controlled electric skillet, which does a good cook on some things, especially if not done in water, but EVOO.

The question is? Were the chops really that much better than grilled or roasted? Since searing adds so much flavor, isn't the meat cheated a this process? Plus, does not a good sear at the end overcook and destroy some the sous vide effect? Not trying argue, but discuss..................................d

The setup is not my own invention, though it is not the best option on the market. The food doesn't circulate, the water does. In this case I have an aquarium pump (not pictured) bubbling in the water. That keeps the water moving. You really only need that when the bath is packed or you're cooking 24-72 hours.

I agree that it makes cooking more science experiment than caveman...But it has its advantages:

My goal here was not to overcook top shelf chops. A water bath, regardless of the machine running it guarantees that. Once the chops come out, they cool down for a few minutes before the sear.

When done properly (and this cook is not a great example due to my poor torching skills) you can have a fully medium rare steak/chop with a brown, crispy crust. No gray band of overcooked meat.

Thx Gregg.

David: "isn't the meat cheated a this process? Plus, does not a good sear at the end overcook and destroy some the sous vide effect? Not trying argue, but discuss..................................d "

I can tell ya that if you never had a SV protein TRY one. This is the most stressless way of cooking a protein. Not only for you but most important the meat itself. And just think of it like an perfect reverse sear,aslong as the inner temp drops...You start to sear.

Cons: Will take some time. And look dull after the bath. And if you dont have a SV unit it will cost you anything between $$ to $$$$.

Pros: Cooked to the temp/tenderness YOU want,and never fail. Juicy like there is no tomorrow(if done right) And Spoon tender.

Whats not to like?

Last edited:

Back