Sous vide flap meat

Preston B

TVWBB Fan
I had never seen these at my costco before but they had a package of flap meat that stood out. Never cooked this before but looked kinda like a skirt so I cooked it like I would a skirt. Hit it with Oakridge SPOGOS and into the sous vide at 131 for 48 hours then a little more SPOGOS and seared off on the Summitt with some post oak. Really good beefy flavor and just flopped like a brisket. 70248DE8-9AA1-4CCA-B53A-8D3F4CF15BB1.jpeg418E2830-EF2C-47F7-8E94-B6793D8FF858.jpegA86BAFB1-A2C6-4FA5-BAA0-524F77E48B74.jpeg

Looks delicious. I'll bet that melted in your mouth after 48 hours in the water bath.
It was really good. My 3 and 5 yr old are sometimes picky with red meat but they cleared their plates and had it with scrambled eggs this morning as well.

That's some gorgeous marbling! Hopefully this wasn't a random, 1-time occurrence and you can find flap meat like this going forward...I look at it and envision a quick sear followed by really thin slices for a wicked smaht roast beef sandwich.

Last edited:
Looks really tasty. I saw flap meat on a recent Costco visit. It looked intriguing, but I wasn't sure what to do with it so I didn't buy any. Now I know. I hope they have some next time I'm there.

Interesting. Looks like the grocers are dealing with shortages by turning to some alternative cuts.

I saw several boxes of "pork riblets" in Kroger last week. First time to see them in a store here.

I picked up some 'flap meat' at Costco today, but it looks like skirt steak. Now I'm confused.

What I got was similar to these:

1592942957059.png

1592943042273.png

Flap and skirt sound similar. Labels differ per geographic region and custom, which adds to the confusion.

Found an article about flap steak that said this:

Flap meat, flap steak. Called bavette d'aloyau in France, this fan-shaped cut is an extension of the T-bone and Porterhouse on the short loin.

Flank. This is a large rectangular cut from the flank section with noticeable fibers running through it. Often used in stir-fries.

Skirt. This cut is also labeled as fajita meat in this country because of its common use in Tex-Mex cooking. There is an inside skirt and an outside skirt. The outside skirt is the diaphragm muscle.

Like skirt or flank steak, flap meat benefits from marinating and being cooked on high, dry heat, whether grilled, broiled, pan-fried or stir-fried. It's vital to cut the meat very thinly across the grain, and it is at its best not too much past medium-rare.

An extension of the T-bone and Porterhouse steaks, flap meat is officially part of the short loin section, explains Bob Fanucchi, known as Butcher Bob by his students at San Francisco's California Culinary Academy.

"It's actually in the belly of the animal," he says. "You remove the flank, take the layers of fat off and the meat is called flap meat."

Even in the United States, there are a few different versions of flap meat. It's often confused with hanger steak, which it's not, and some butchers label it as sirloin tips, which it also is not.

Back