Source of wagyu beef brisket?

Eric Simon

TVWBB Fan
We have an annual party where we cook very indulgent foods (everyone gets to pick one dish and we go all-out in making it the best it can be). My choice this year is to smoke a brisket. In keeping with the spirit of the all-out-ness of the event, I'd like to smoke a wagyu brisket.

Any advice on where to buy one? Any modifications to the standard cooking method (I'll be going low and slow) due to the higher fat content? I'll probably go a little more delicate than usual on the flavors in the rub/mop/etc. in order to let the beefiness of the meat shine.

Thanks for any advice!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Quinlan:
Try http://www.paradisemeats.com/ . Never ordered but I've heard they have great prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone please check that site... Do they have Wagyu brisket for 3.95 a pound? That has to be a typo, right?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom R (doughboy):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Quinlan:
Try http://www.paradisemeats.com/ . Never ordered but I've heard they have great prices. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Someone please check that site... Do they have Wagyu brisket for 3.95 a pound? That has to be a typo, right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what it looks like to me. Must be a typo.

If it is some blowout that they're doing and you hear back from the email, please let us know!
icon_wink.gif
I could see myself breaking in the new year with style!

I order my pork bellies from paradise. They are local for me, so I can go to the store and pick them up and save on shipping. My experiences with paradise have been nothing but pleasant and I can't recommend them highly enough. If no one has heard back from them about the brisket price by tomorrow, I'll give them a call and see if they are open. If so, I'll check the price and reply back here.

Thanks, Chris. I haven't heard from them yet, and will post if I do. I was just reading Michael Symon's new cookbook, so your post prompted me to decide to add some pork belly if I do mail order with Paradise. :)

I just contacted Paradise and the price is in fact $3.95 a pound as stated on the website. Apparently they go through so much brisket that their supplier gives them a discount on it. And since they go through so much, the lady said it is always fresh never frozen. If you're having it shipped your mileage may vary.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris W.:
I just contacted Paradise and the price is in fact $3.95 a pound as stated on the website. Apparently they go through so much brisket that their supplier gives them a discount on it. And since they go through so much, the lady said it is always fresh never frozen. If you're having it shipped your mileage may vary. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just paid 2.49 a pound for CHOICE! **** it, I should have waited until I got home!

Email from Paradise:

Yes, that price is correct for the meat itself per lb. We have a carton charge and the shipping going Fed Ex 2-day air. They are in cryovac and the are the whole packer cut brisket. They are wonderful and the average weight is 10-15# each. We can ship on Monday or Tuesday next week. Just let us know, and thank you for the inquiry.

Wow! Excellent.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Carson:
How much for the carton and shipping?

Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Carton was $15 and shipping to Philly, PA was $58 for 26.13 lbs (2 pcs.)

I ordered today with some of my Fantasy Football $$$ I won last night !!

So, let's see: 26.13 x $3.95 = $103.21 + $15 + $58 = $176.21 / 26.13 = $6.74 / lb. Good deal! How solid (frozen) was it when it arrived?

Got a delivery of 2 13LB Wagyu briskets from Paradise Meat Locker. They very well trimmed for packers and also wider than the typical Packer Trim briskets that I see here in the Dallas area. Total price delivered was $5.66/Lb

Will do a cook tomorrow and post pictures.

Back