Source for wood chunks?

Justin F

Only place I can find cherry/apple/pecan chunks is at Barbecues Galore at $25 per cubic foot ($$$). Anyone in the SF Bay Area have a good source for wood?

-Justin

Welcome to the forum Justin. I do not know if they have pecan but DOITBEST.com has apple and cherry for 8.50 a ten pound bag delivered free to a particapating hardware store close to your home. Check it out, certainly the best deal I seen around. Shipping cost from other sites can kill your wallet.
Again, Welcome aboard
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I've bought some non-local woods off Ebay. Usually, the seller packs all he/she can in one of the USPS Flat Rate Boxes. Its enough to do several smokes using three or four fist sized chunks per smoke.

I use mostly pecan and I feel lucky when I can get somebody to bring me some from their farm or hunting camp, but in a pinch, I can find bags of pecan chunks at Academy Sporting Goods. Don't know if you have an Academy where you are but it might be worth a check if you do.

Agreed, those shipping charges can boost the cost real fast!

Pat

Not sure how available it is out there but check craigslist. I was able to pick up a couple of wheel barrows full of apple for $5. There had been quite a bit of cherry as well.

I second the doitbest.com I just ordered apple and pecan. I made a meatloaf friday night with pecan, AWESOME! Ordering more just to have handy. Best quality I have seen. Yes, it might be a bit cheaper locally, but consider you have to cut it all up yourself in most cases - this is much easier and much much better than those chunks you see in Home Depot/Walmart/Lowes etc. Have it shipped to your local store and pick up.. EASY!

I just received a bulk box of black cherry chunks from Maine grilling woods. It has varying sizes ranging from a few large chips up to around 4" x 2" and 1.5" thick. Perfect for the WSM!

Because of the availability of local wood for cheap I don't buy much wood online (I won a $50 coupon at a contest) So I'm not sure how they stack up pricewise. I do know they have free shipping and the customer service person I dealt with was a pure joy. She made my day just with her great attitude!

just another option ....

justin,
make the trip to lazzari's in south san fran by candlestick. i bought (if i remember correctly) 20 pounds of apple chunks for $35. you can also get the oak hardwood lump that you can't buy at any store. 40 pounds for $20. worth the trip alone!

If i ever get up the Peninsula, I may stop by Lazzari's just to check it out. But I'm kinda lazy to drive that far.

Just tried the doitbest method (there's a pickup place in Santa Clara) so I hope it goes well.

Believe it or not, Ebay actually isn't too bad a place. I can vouch for Maine Grilling Woods too. They aren't the cheapest, but have a good selection, good quality, and fast/free shipping.

So I kinda wanted to keep this a guy a secret so I can get all the wood I need from him without worry about him running short. But in the spirit of openness with this site and how AWESOME everyone here is, check out seller vamtnwoodproducts on ebay - If you want his personal email address - message me and I'll give it to you. He supplies people all over the country, from regular folks to high end restaurants. Name is Brian, and probably one of the coolest guys I've ever met. He's in Virgina , so anyone local can probably just pick up. HUGE variety of types, don't just go by the ebay listings.

I never thought I would say something like this but.....this guy has GREAT WOOD.

You could always try contacting local orchards if you are interested in fruit woods. I did a Google search for Delaware Orchards (because...well...I live in Delaware), went to every one that had a website and contacted them that way. Of course, you could try them calling, too
icon_smile.gif
. Every one that I contacted replied back to me and said I could take whatever they have. We not have a nice source for all the peach wood we could ever use!

I've had good luck with Maine grilling woods as well. The black cherry on brisket is on the money. As Rick said, free shipping and fast. One downside is they now have to treat the wood with insecticide to ship it. Some new federal law. I do not want to be burning chemicals on to my food. Maybe the guy on EBAY would be the way go. He probably does not have to treat his.

Hey Chuck, from what I gather they (Maine Grilling Woods) are not treating the wood with insecticides. They are heat treating it at 160* for 90 mins. Apparently that's the Federal guideline.

Black cherry on brisket, huh? I may just give that a shot this weekend. Thanks for the suggestion!

Back