Some St Louis’ on the grill.

Dang Brett! Awesome
All credit goes to the grill. I’m just the middle man between raw meat and the dining table. Literally I put these on the E6, set a timer and came back 2:40 later. Wrapped and did another 30 mins, then put back on the grill for 5 to dry up some from the braise. Sliced and chowed down. Been busy building new furniture for the wife and me in between watching the Trey Lance era launch today. It’s been a very good Sunday.

Basic and easy. Be back in 3 hours or so.

It’s a balmy 52° and sunny.

View attachment 42751

View attachment 42752

View attachment 42753

View attachment 42755
Looking good Brett!
Got the wife an air fryer lid for her Instant pot for Christmas. Going to break it in doing a slab of St. Louis' this afternoon. I know, I know, that's just wrong, but it's cold outside and I'm old and achy. Will be using my pork butt rub and saucing with my sweet & spicy red sauce. Will post results and pics, if I remember.

Good thing you were not doing your St Louis ribs in St Louis. It was 16 degrees with a 3 degree wind chill factor. They look great.
That's soup for dinner weather. Way to cold for me. The ribs came out great. Not fall off the bone, which we don't like, but were fully rendered and good bite. And the seasoning had some heat in it; cayenne and black pepper and other spices, and I dialed down the sugars (brown and white) in this build for that hint of sweet. Stay warm. Spring will be here soon enough.

Looking good Brett!
Got the wife an air fryer lid for her Instant pot for Christmas. Going to break it in doing a slab of St. Louis' this afternoon. I know, I know, that's just wrong, but it's cold outside and I'm old and achy. Will be using my pork butt rub and saucing with my sweet & spicy red sauce. Will post results and pics, if I remember.
Thank you! I do like a deep fried rib on occasion. We have an asian place that deep fries, then sauces and then woks the ribs. Quite good and a really nice crispy bit to them. I'll watch for your pics. Always looking for new methods and techniques. I used to boil cut ribs for our July 4th neighborhood bbq. And then I'd sauce them with hoisin, oyster sauce and spices for a Chinese style rib, Finished them on the grill to charbonize the sugars (honey) and no one new they were boiled first.

Looks tasty.

Where did you buy the ribs?
Winco in Folsom. $3.29# and these were VERY meaty. Around $10.30 a rack, each. I believe Hormel brand IIRC. Sometimes I just don't want the Costco three pack which I then have to freeze a single rack. And who will cook just a single rack?

Thank you! I do like a deep fried rib on occasion. We have an asian place that deep fries, then sauces and then woks the ribs. Quite good and a really nice crispy bit to them. I'll watch for your pics. Always looking for new methods and techniques. I used to boil cut ribs for our July 4th neighborhood bbq. And then I'd sauce them with hoisin, oyster sauce and spices for a Chinese style rib, Finished them on the grill to charbonize the sugars (honey) and no one new they were boiled first.
Had some deep-fried ribs in Edmonton, Alberta 15 or so years ago. Haven't seen them anywhere since and had forgotten how good they were. These were cut to individual bones, about 2" long, lightly breaded and popped into the oil. They were moist and seasoned well enough that they didn't need any sauce.
Not sure if they were boiled first but, as small as they were, I doubt it.

Had some deep-fried ribs in Edmonton, Alberta 15 or so years ago. Haven't seen them anywhere since and had forgotten how good they were. These were cut to individual bones, about 2" long, lightly breaded and popped into the oil. They were moist and seasoned well enough that they didn't need any sauce.
Not sure if they were boiled first but, as small as they were, I doubt it.
sounds like riblets. and most likely not boiled, just deep fried and very good. pork fat makes a nice crisp when hit with high heat. and deep fry is a fast way to make ribs, maybe 4-5 mins for riblets and 6-7 mins for full spares or St. Louis. that smoked pork belly i did a few weeks back made for some really good pan seared bacon the following weekend. a simple crisp up and they were flavor bombs inside a breakfast burrito.

good thing i made some MX tortilla soup. need to lighten up the load some. and fish always helps too.

i've got one rack of lamb to cook, then we'll move back to lighter faire; chicken, fish, veggies and soups.

Our Winco pork, both when I lived in WA state and here in Idaho was all enhanced. Is your Winco the same or different?

Our Winco pork, both when I lived in WA state and here in Idaho was all enhanced. Is your Winco the same or different?
They sell a few different brands in different packaging. I buy the cryovac ribs, Hormel, IIRC and they were just plain ribs. No additives. These ribs were very meaty and the fat rendered well. I’ve bought them in the past and have been happy. My only two sources are Costco and Winco and neighter of the ribs there are enhanced.

Back