Some newbie hand-holding needed

David-brsp

I can't say newbie honestly as I've been burning stuff on a Weber grill as long as I can remember. So maybe old fart hand-holding would be more appropriate. Either way I have a basic question (actually, many but only one for today).

We don't do fancy things on the grill but we do like to slice up potatoes with onions, butter, etc and wrap them in foil and cook them on the grill. And after 30 minutes or so, I'll throw on a couple of burgers or steaks. But what I find is the coals are mostly gone and things are getting cold when I want to cook the meat. Now my timing may be off and details may not be exact but what I need is a basic understanding of how and how much to control the temperature.

We start the briquettes using a chimney (paper not lighter fluid). And after I see flames starting to appear out the top I dump the chimney and spread things out. The bottom vent is wide open. I then put the grill in place, let it warm up a bit and brush it off. I'll then put the package of potatoes on, put the cover on with cover vent wide open. (My 22" basic grill didn't have a thermometer but a few years ago I installed one.) After I get the cover on over the potatoes the temp can reach 450F or so. We let this cook, with a turn after 10-15 minutes or so, and then, as I said above, after 30 minutes, throw on some meat.

Ok, so don't laugh but over all it sort of works. Some times the potatoes get a little 'dark' but mostly not. But I never feel there is enough heat to grill the burgers or steaks properly. The obvious thing to do is adjust the air flow so the temp stays lower but how and how much...... I could experiment but then I thought I'd embarrass myself and ask. We typically buy the Weber briquette that are readily available at Walmart or Home Depot.

Welcome, David! If your coals don't have the heat that you need/want when you are ready to cook your protein, then you just need to add some more coals. Since your potatoes are wrapped in foil, you can add new briquettes without needing to worry about the smoke they will produce as they ignite, so with your current approach, I'd just add a couple of hands full of briquettes about 10-15 minutes before you want to cook your protein. I'd probably try to concentrate them on one side of the kettle (away from where the potatoes are), and once they are ignited, you'll have a two-zone fire going where it's hottest over the new briquettes, and gets cooler as you move away from them. This is useful to have some where to move things if the heat is cooking the outside too fast for your liking.....

You might consider a 2-zone fire as your typical setup rather than spreading your initial coals all over the bottom/charcoal grate. That would give you a place to put the potatoes that is not over direct heat, but where they will still get all that 450° heat with little to no charring. Then, if needed, you just add your fresh briquettes on top of the charcoal pile for your protein. Should look something like this (though the "optional water pans" are something I'd omit.....maybe a drip pan under the meat)

1657548787861.png

I hope that helps somewhat, and maybe gives you an idea to try out for your next cook.

As far as adjusting the intake to regulate the heat of your fire, that will take a little experimentation, but, assuming you have a one-touch with the ash sweep, I'd start with covering the lower holes by about 50%. See what temp that gives you on your thermo, and then, about 5-10 minutes before cooking the protein, open the intake fully to get the max heat your coals have left to give. You may still find you need to add briquettes, but maybe not. I would not mess with the exhaust damper in the lid of the kettle, as it's always my preference to have that full open to ensure that I don't get any nasty smoke in the kettle.....necessary, maybe not....just how I do it.

Rich

Like Rich replied, you are running out of fuel. I often start with some unlit fuel and add the lit to it so my fire progresses through the fuel as the cook progresses.
Have fun experimenting, that is what grilling and smoking are all about

You do have a fundamental issue because the meat should cook on a hotter fire for a shorter time and the potato packages should cook on a lower fire for a longer time.

My first suggestion would be to keep the charcoal in the chimney longer to help get things up to temperature faster. I would also consider closing the vents down and/or moving the potatoes away from the hottest spot. I would aim to cook the potatoes around 350 degrees, but this is very flexible.

When you are ready for the meat, open the vents up and put the meat directly over the hottest part of the fire. If this doesn't work, you aren't using enough fuel.

Good suggestions all but, I’d go the basket route. I almost always use baskets anyway, easier fire management for me.
If you are only doing four burgers I’d set up for an indirect cook, full baskets on either side, foil packets in the middle. Add a handful of coal if you really need it and let that get established then do the burgers on either side. I am a firm believer in the KISS method when doing things like that.
Yes, full open on lid, that method works for me with full on vents for the whole cook.

Wow!! I post at 7:42A and 3-hours later I have 7 responses. Thank you!!

I got several good ideas to try. I figured the potatoes were getting too much heat so I like the idea of a 2-zone fire that I can add fuel to as needed and keeping the kettle temp lower, say 350F as Scott suggested. I just saw the basket mentioned again after I started responding. I'll check those out. I've seen them in HD I think.

Over the weekend a relative cooked some steaks outside with a temp prob that interfaced with his cell phone. This certainly takes the guess work out of many things.

Do some briquettes last longer than others or is that just marketing hype?

Thanks again! Brent

Nobody is laughing David. We all started somewhere not doing the right thing until we learned. I still get caught out now and again.
I would suggest, as others have, getting a charcoal basket. That way you can keep your fire under one side of the grill. It also allows you to spin the cooking grate away from your fire, to the cool side, while you check your internal temps. I would also suggest foiling one half of your charcoal grate. Place the basket over the open half. This will direct the air through the basket giving you a hotter fire. Also it is a good place to store your foiled spuds and onions down there to keep them warm without taking up grill space. (See pic that @Rich G posted. Put your spuds/onions where the lower optional water pan is indicated).
If you're using the Weber briquettes stick with those. As good as any other.
You don't need a temp probe that interfaces with your phone. Get yourself a Thermapen. (<<Link). A must have in my opinion.
Don't sweat it. If you think your fire isn't hot enough, fire up a few more briqs and carry on. All good.
Most importantly.....enjoy your cook.

Last edited:
Do some briquettes last longer than others or is that just marketing hype?

Some do, but not in the way that you probably think.
Briquettes burn from the outside to the inside. The bigger the briquette physically is, the longer it will last. I believe that manufacturers toy with this just like they toy with the size and weight of the bags for sales/profit purposes.

We don't do fancy things on the grill but we do like to slice up potatoes with onions, butter, etc and wrap them in foil and cook them on the grill.

If the foil package inflates itself like a balloon on the fire, it is airtight and you are steaming/pressure cooking your potatoes.
If the foil package does not inflate, you are essentially baking/roasting the potatoes. They will take a bit longer and you will notice more char and unevenness.

If you prefer the steamed effect, thick quality foil and good folded seam technique are essential.

Back