Some more ham...

JSchlegelmilch

TVWBB Pro
I did the ham thing again with a couple of pork loins. Soaked in Cabela's Maple Cure and Brine Mix for two days. Then I smoked them for about 3 hours over apple at 225-250. Then I let cool, and put in the fridge overnight. I sliced one on the meat slicer, and gave the other to my parents half sliced and half whole for them to do as a roast.

Came out really nice! Mild ham flavor and saltiness. Nice strong, but clean, smokiness to it. I'll definitely be doing this one some more.

Thanks for looking!
-Jeff

Hey Jeff...you cured for 2 days only? And did you cure them, then dress them in that basket weavy thing? Looks great...I want to try...

Hey Jeff...you cured for 2 days only? And did you cure them, then dress them in that basket weavy thing? Looks great...I want to try...

I did only cure for 2 days. My wife likes it a bit less salty and to have less of that "cured" taste, so I do it on the short end. It makes for a very mild saltiness and flavor. You can always go longer if you like a stronger flavor. I forgot to mention, I also inject it with the cure at about 1-2 inch intervals to help make sure it gets all the way into the meat. After curing it I rinsed it, netted it and put it on the smoker. To be honest, it would probably taste the same without the net and just smoked on the rack, but it makes me feel cool to do it this way!:cool:

That is some Quality meat right there...And frankly that is what Q is all about. Fresh meat,simple prep. NO E numbers in that lunchmeat. Love it

I did only cure for 2 days. My wife likes it a bit less salty and to have less of that "cured" taste, so I do it on the short end. It makes for a very mild saltiness and flavor. You can always go longer if you like a stronger flavor. I forgot to mention, I also inject it with the cure at about 1-2 inch intervals to help make sure it gets all the way into the meat. After curing it I rinsed it, netted it and put it on the smoker. To be honest, it would probably taste the same without the net and just smoked on the rack, but it makes me feel cool to do it this way!:cool:

Gotcha, and it looks cool! I'm going to do this soon. Curious if the netting binds the loins together?

Gotcha, and it looks cool! I'm going to do this soon. Curious if the netting binds the loins together?

It does help keep the shape, depending on the cut you may have some rib portions hanging on there too, so this keeps it together. But each of these nets has a single pork loin (as opposed to multiple tenderloins), so I can't say if it would bind several together. When I use it on chicken, I bind together several chicken breasts this way and the cook together into a single roast and it works fine.

Last edited:
It does help keep the shape, depending on the cut you may have some rib portions hanging on there too, so this keeps it together. But each of these nets has a single pork loin (as opposed to multiple tenderloins), so I can't say if it would bind several together. When I use it on chicken, I bind together several chicken breasts this way and the cook together into a single roast and it works fine.

Gotcha, it looked like multiple. great work.

Back