Some "Happy Birthday" from Ace!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My birthday is coming up - April 14, it was my destiny to be a CPA:oops:. I received this from Ace to help me "Celebrate and Save on Your Big Day."

Nice red box filled with cool birthday presents...but, wait, what is that ultra fine print on the back? Not valid on (among other things) Power Tools, Weber, YETI, Traeger:

Ace Brithday Reward SMALL_000002.jpg

Some Happy Birthday Box - basically EMPTY:mad:. More like April Fools!

Oh well, I guess I can buy some bug spray or some bolts...

Hey fellow Floridian, guess what? That is my birthday also. Didn't receive anything from Ace tho. lol (but DH always does on his birthday)

Just showed your post to DH. Boy, did I get an ear full about his unhappiness with Ace.

Last edited:
Happy upcoming Birthday, Joan!

I have usually found our local Ace to try hard in spite of the limitations of a small store. About 12 miles from me there is a large Ace owned by a different franchise holder that is a fantastic place for Weber and other grills and who carries a great selection of stainless hardware including a sizable amount of 316 marine grade stainless.

However, the corporate Ace office must have a perverse sense of humor to cook up promotions like this empty birthday box!

Happy upcoming Birthday, Joan!

I have usually found our local Ace to try hard in spite of the limitations of a small store. About 12 miles from me there is a large Ace owned by a different franchise holder that is a fantastic place for Weber and other grills and who carries a great selection of stainless hardware including a sizable amount of 316 marine grade stainless.

However, the corporate Ace office must have a perverse sense of humor to cook up promotions like this empty birthday box!
Jon, same to you (I was going to wait until the big day. lol)

We ran into the same thing with a coupon from Macy's, many, many years ago. Went to check out with a lot of stuff. Told none of it was eligible to buy with the coupon. Seems we did not read the real small print. Left it all on the counter and NEVER have gone back since. When will stores realize that they are loosing customers doing this, not making new ones. Coupons and gift cards should be able to be used for what the CUSTOMER wants.

Happy Birthday. I wish we still had hardware stores like Ace or True Value. They've all gone outta business except for 2 that are simply too far away to use effectively. And I think one of them has made notice it will be shutting it's doors for good this spring as well. I hate being limited to always going to a big box store

I agree. When I lived for a time in Asheville, NC there was an old-fashioned hardware store there that tried really hard to promote their personal service and stock unusual items. They still went under. People say one thing, but vote with their feet and wallet, unfortunately.

Like I mentioned earlier, my carp is not with the local stores but their goofy corporate management. Why put out a piece of garbage promotional piece like I received? It only makes a recipient even more likely to drive past Ace on their way to the big box competitor. Instead, they should be trying to build loyalty by offering something that is worthwhile. I don't expect them to give away the show, but I think they could do better than an empty "birthday box" - even if Weber doesn't like it...

I'm really grateful we still have a Westlake ace hardware. The help you get in the Ace stores is so much better than at the big box stores. At least it is in my area. I don't buy everything at Ace due to limited selection of a lot of items but do try to throw them business whenever possible.

Jon I've gotten those ace rewards birthday promotions too. But I tend to forget about them and not use them. So I never noticed the restrictions.

Happy Birthday. I wish we still had hardware stores like Ace or True Value. They've all gone outta business except for 2 that are simply too far away to use effectively. And I think one of them has made notice it will be shutting it's doors for good this spring as well. I hate being limited to always going to a big box store
Have a true value near my boyhood house. Best information on all sorts of things. I still go there whenever I can. Funny I notice the big box store is getting quite pricey the last few years. Especially in the city.

One of the benefits of living outside of the city. I have an Ace less than a mile from me.
It is one the few places with bulk hardware bins, and a good selection of stainless hardware
also.

I have a couple True Value Hardware stores near me. The closest ACE is about 35 miles. True Value is pretty similar really. And I agree, when you in and ask an associate if they have a certain part, they always seem to know right off if they have it or don't and they always know exactly where it is located.

That's funny about the marketing mess-up from Ace. The Ace corp office is up in Chicago, they must be smoking something up there or letting interns run that ship.

We have lots of hardware stores here still, both Ace and True Value. I worked at Ace from 1999 to 2013. Started as a part-time employee and worked my way up to supervisor. This was all while I was going to school (High School and College) and even kept working there part-time after I got my "real" job.

The margins are much higher at Ace, meaning higher prices, because they just can't do the volume of a Home Depot or Lowe's. Depending on ownership, the hardware stores typically knock it out of the park with service. They'll give advice on how to fix whatever it is you're fixing. They'll walk you to the product you're searing for. The stores are so little, I remember I basically had the entire store inventory memorized and could tell you what aisle, shelf and location the product was that you were searching for...this was before smart phones and apps too. My Ace, we did free assembly and delivery for any purchase above $100 too. We also did stuff like fill your propane tank up for free if you purchased a grill from us.

I like supporting the little guys (Ace & True Value), but if I'm buying something big and can save a significant amount of money by going to Lowe's or HD, then I'll go there. The Ace down the street from me closes at 6pm everyday (normal hours even before this virus)...so if I'm fixing up something after work, then going there isn't even an option.

I go to the local Ace whenever I can, just to keep them in business. And I talk to the owner on an infrequent basis, he likes seeing me come in. Gotta run down and get a 1/4" compression tubing splice (because I'm not so smart....) this week.

The night of the 14th has historical significance beyond last minute tax return scrambling!

On the night of April 14, 1865 Abraham Lincoln was shot at Ford Theatre in Washington. President Lincoln died early on the morning of the 15th, but the deadly deed was done on the 14th.

Lincoln.jpg

On the night of April 14, 1912, the luxury liner Titanic struck the iceberg. The Titanic sank after midnight, so early the morning of the 15th, but again the deadly deed happened on the 14th.

Titanic.jpg

Last edited:

Back