Sodastream Machines

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So, one weird thing that seems to have changed with me on this Mounjaro/weight loss journey. No real taste for alcohol, but love sparkling water. Even the budget Kirkland sparkling water is getting a little $pendy.
HAs anyone used one of these Sodastream or other carbonation machines? If so, thoughts? Don't want to bother spending the $$$ if they're not good

My daughter has one and loves it.
She wanted to quit the soda pop thing and has been going strong on this for 2 years now.
I’m not a soda guy but I enjoy sparkling water and these ain’t that bad.
I do like my Pellegrínos a bit better though.
She likes to flavor it up with an assortment of different flavor injections.
Me I like mine plain or at least as close to a naturally flavored as possible.
I’m not sure what is in her flavor concentrates so I shy from them but you ought to be able to squeeze in some lime, mint or something from nature and be ok.

Yeah, I've been really liking the Kirkland like the flavor and such. It's from Italy and very reasonable compared to say San Pellegrino (which from what I can see on the label adds salt). The Kirkland doesn't. 0mg Sodium. My water is pretty darn good here once the chorine taste is gone since we have really good wells here. So, thinking adding bubbles would liven it up

Never saw that Costco I’ll have to keep an eye out. Never drank regular sods but loved a Diet Coke, I switched to sparkling water years ago. Never really missed it.
I like Safeway unflavored for some reason, goes great with some vodka and lime too.😄

I buy the Winco cans of flavored water--just sparking water and flavor (I’m a fan of lime, cranberry/raspberry and black cherry) for $3.00 -$3.50 a 12 pack of 12 oz. cans (depending on sales) They have bottles, too, but they have an artificial sweetener which the cans do not.
I had the SodaStream many years ago when they were first introduced. It was great because it came with many sample flavor bottles so you could try them before buying the big containers. While it worked fine, it seems like the gas canister always ran out of gas in the middle of a preparation. (Kind of like cooking with propane!) Also, it was a pain to recycle the canisters. Even though I bought the SodaSteam at a Macy’s owned store, you could only take the used canisters for recycling and replacement at Staples way back in the day in the Seattle area. It also took up counter space I had better use for.

I have a soda stream and it's great. I add a little splash of some type of juice(lemon, lime, cranberry) in the glass to give me a little flavor. The exchange cylinders come very quickly and you just pop the old ones in the mailbox.

So, I see these "exchange" cylinders on Amazon. One company intrigues me as it's right here in Madison WI. So I am assuming you buy the box with 2 cylinders, and when they're empty you send them to the refiller with the enclosed label? And I am assuming that company does NOT return "filled" cylinders back, they simply put them refilled and back into the supply pipeline?
So it almost seems like you should have 4 cylinders at the start. When the first 2 are used you send them in, and order another box while you open the spare box? Kinda like LP tanks for your gas grill :D
Not interested in making flavored just want something like this in the end 1714916883093.jpeg

You should try water kefir. Its carbonated, naturally flavored and a fantastic probiotic! Have you ever tried kombucha- another carbonated probiotic. Neither of them have sugar

You should try water kefir. Its carbonated, naturally flavored and a fantastic probiotic! Have you ever tried kombucha- another carbonated probiotic. Neither of them have sugar
Never heard of it (Kefir) and no clue what kombucha is. I see it occasionally but not a clue. I'm not wanting anything flavored. I just like a neutrally tasting sparkling water. THe Kirkland really fills the bill for me but, I'm dropping about $25 a week on water

I don't recall how many the machine came with originally but we basically have three cylinders. When I'm on my last one, the wife orders, they ship two refilled and we send two empty back with the enclosed label. Otherwise you'd be charged the core after a certain time. She just orders them direct from soda stream. I think it's around forty dollars for two.

Never heard of it (Kefir) and no clue what kombucha is. I see it occasionally but not a clue. I'm not wanting anything flavored. I just like a neutrally tasting sparkling water. THe Kirkland really fills the bill for me but, I'm dropping about $25 a week on water
There are also unflavored versions.

Here are some suggestions.

So how does it taste with Acetylene in the drink? :D All kidding aside that is WAY more industrial than I care for. I see SodaStream has a bundle deal on their web site for $109 get the E-Terra and 3 refill tanks with return shipping when 2 are empty. I also found a cool company just up 90 from me in Madison that recycles and refills the tanks. Reasonable as well.

So how does it taste with Acetylene in the drink? :D All kidding aside that is WAY more industrial than I care for. I see SodaStream has a bundle deal on their web site for $109 get the E-Terra and 3 refill tanks with return shipping when 2 are empty. I also found a cool company just up 90 from me in Madison that recycles and refills the tanks. Reasonable as well.
That should be a food grade CO(2) tank. The SodaStream cartridges are really expensive, and I'm not surprised in the least about 3rd party refills or kits.

I have made (and probably should start again) making sparkling water in my kegerator. It's all a sunk cost, so it's just costing me a tap space which is fine, because I just don't have anything else on them at the moment.

Back