soaking my cooking grates

michele p

TVWBB Pro
I need to soak my grates, and I have been to Target, Lowe's and a restaurant supply store and cannot find anything that is wide enough to fit them.
I don't have a big enough sink, anyone have a suggestion??

Michele,
You might be able to use a pan that is made to sit a water heater into for leak protection. They have ahole in the side of them for a drain bout you can probaly got somePVC pipe to close it or just duct tape.

I have a galvanized bucket that is large enough to soak the grates but then I got a utility sink installed and I use that. I have also always thought that the Rubbermaid trash can lids would be good. They're large enough, round and shallow so you don't have to fill up a big tub.

Michele, I bought this GALVANIZED OIL DRAIN PAN at a LOCAL NAPA Auto Parts store and my WSM grates just fit nicely into it. (It's not a good photo, so click on it to enlarge.) They carry a couple of different sizes, so take the top grate with you if you decide to check it out.

Lately, I’ve been putting my grates into a plastic heavy-duty trash bag and spraying them either with Greased Lightening or oven cleaner, fold up the open end, and leave it in the sun for several hours. Then I hose it off and use a GRILL WIZARD to get off any remaining food.

AMAZON also carries a cheaper plastic model and the replacement scrubbers. I really like this scrubber and IMO it does a better job on my WSM grates and Genesis gasser grates than the many brushes that I've wasted my money on. I often double up the scrubber pads, but mine is an older model that I’ve had for 5 or 6 years. They are making their scrubber pads a little different now.

Rita

Besides pans, et al. You might want to consider a large plastic (trash) bag. Spray down with some oven cleaner or some Dawn Power Dissolver which is what I use all the time for a pre soak (no water, spray only) for cleaning grates. Spary with the oven cleaner or DPD, and shove in a bag - sit overnight. I usually only use DPD spray, let it sit for 30 - 60 min then soak. I you can't soak then just scrub away.

I use the laundry tub in the basement. The WSM grates fit fine, the Performer grates are a little too big, but I just spin them around to let the other half soak. I have my water heater on high (no little kids around) so I have very hot water for overnight soakings.

Rita will the Oil Drain Pan accomodate at 22.5 grate? It's a little pricy but if it works it may be worth it.

I have tried the Rubbermaid plastic grabage can top, and unless you are good a juggling I would forget about it. Besides a 22.5 grate just barley fits inside of the lid, and then you are forecd to fill the lid with water and soap, but it becomes a balancing act because the lid is concave and assumes it's full form when filled with water.

I picked up a bottom tray for a plastic flower pot from Home Depot. I bought the largest one they had, and it works great. I just fill with dish soap and hot water, and let them soak for about an hour.

Rick

I don't have a Rubbermaid trash can - the cheap one I have is made of very stiff plastic, so the lid works okay for soaking the grates. Even when full of water, it doesn't get distorted.

Gary, my galvanized drip pan ranges from 18" to 18.5" inside diameter. You might call the NAPA store to see if they carry or can order a larger one. I seem to recall that there were 2 sizes but can't remember if the other was larger or smaller. I think it was larger, but not certain.

Rick, good find. I checked and couldn't find one large enough in our area. The one that came the closest wasn't deep enough for 2 grates.

Rita

I bought a 17 gallon galvanized wash tub from ACE, clearanced out for 8 bucks around Memorial day. It works for the 22 1/2 grate, also I turn it upside down and use as a lid - middle section holder.
Tim

My sink won't hold the whole grate either.I soak in warm soapy water one half for 15 minutes, then turn and do the same on the other half. Then go over with a grill brush. I'm happy as long as I get the old food particles off. I did buy a stainless steel top grate and I use Pam on both sides of the grate. Cleans up pretty good with minimal effort and no amonia or other nasty odors in the house.(I know people use cleaners outdoors.) Dry and hang grate on back porch until next use.

I wait until the wife isn't home and put them in the dish washer...works great...
icon_wink.gif

If you live in an area like me that has a large recycle can for the trash, use it the day after trash day and you can get some big stuff in them!
icon_smile.gif

I have done a couple nice electrolysis sessions in mine...then drain it and use it for the recycled goods...the city doesn't seem to mind...since they always pick up the recycled waste the next week when I'm done...*lol*

Just curious, but why clean them so thoroughly? Can you get them shiney silver again?

I take mine and throw them on the Performer. Next time I use it I heat the hell out of them and brush them clean.

Originally posted by KenP:
Just curious, but why clean them so thoroughly? Can you get them shiney silver again?

I take mine and throw them on the Performer. Next time I use it I heat the hell out of them and brush them clean.
I've been watching but don't see a reply to this. I have never cleaned a grill in my life, other than the method you mention above. Occasionally, in the past I have sprayed PAM on the grill if I am cooking fish, but normally I have one side pretty clean as it is not over the fire, since I almost always split the coals...not always in the center though, for cooking yaki-tori in the kettle, I keep the coals in the center so I can extend the bamboo sticks out past the heat, so they don't burn up...in practice, some always get burned anyway...

But I am also curious who does clean their grills. It seems we might be in the minority around here Ken, at least in this thread.

Originally posted by Pat Barnes:
Michele,
You might be able to use a pan that is made to sit a water heater into for leak protection. They have ahole in the side of them for a drain bout you can probaly got somePVC pipe to close it or just duct tape.

Yup this is exactly what I have and it works great. I fill it with really hot soapy water and let them soak for a few hours or more then I take a wire brush to them Once all the gunk is off I hose the grates off and dry with paper towel. It's cheap and easy.

Back