So when do you use a drip-pan on a kettle

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I only use one when doing roasts or a turkey.
Curious if some use one for smaller items like Chk pcs chops or such.

Tim

I often put a catch pan in the cool zone, especially if the stuff I am grilling will drip. I find using a pan under the cheese stuffed things keeps my gril cleaner.

Mike

At this point I cook almost everything using the indirect method. I leave the drip pan in until it gets too gunky, and then I replace it. When cooking indirect, the fat doesn't burn up on the coals and builds up in the bottom of the kettle. Without a drip pan, the clean up would be a constant, dirty, pain in the butt.

Bill

So when do you use a drip-pan on a kettle

Personally? I haven't used one yet. OTP

Or are you referring to the water pan in my WSM? I use that most of the time.....empty
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
At this point I cook almost everything using the indirect method. I leave the drip pan in until it gets too gunky, and then I replace it. When cooking indirect, the fat doesn't burn up on the coals and builds up in the bottom of the kettle. Without a drip pan, the clean up would be a constant, dirty, pain in the butt.

Bill

Same here, except I have some foil wrapped brick separating the zones, and use a sheet of heavy duty foil instead of an actual pan, and I replace that after two or three cooks, or less if need be.

quote:
Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:

Bill

Same here, pan or foil if out of pans....I cooked a bunch of moinks on the kettle for New Years and forgot to put the drip pan back in....wasn't pretty....

When you cook in-direct (not right over the hot coals) it is a good idea to have a drip pan. This is so you can catch the grease or you can baste the meat with out making a huge nasty mess.
wsmsmile8gm.gif
. When you want to cook low and slow instead of fast high heat grilling you can cook in-direct kinda like a smoker!

I'm wondering if there's a difference on drip pan usage that varies from OTS to OTG users. My grease drops into the ash pan which seems to absorb the grease making it unnoticable. I've read that you should use a drip pan when making the OMS wings or the glaze will stick the vent fins to the bowl...

Clint I guess its a personal preference. Clean the sweeper mechanism and bottom of yer charcoal bowl or use aluminum throw away pans or (I do this) use a small regular pan dedicated for this because it will never clean up perfect!

I don't unless it's also doubling as a water pan for an indirect cook. I clean my grates while they're still hot after every cook and the ash and lose gunk from the bowl the next day.

Only when cooking indirect and expecting a mess. I have experimented with using a 14" deep dish pizza pan on the bottom rack of my WSM, but that's also a pain to clean.

I use indirect in about all my grilling. I have the Weber charcoal holders and double up the pans. I double up the pans so they're a little stronger. I add a glass or two of water.

When I'm finished I just pour the water out, dry the pan off with a paper towel and used it again. I use the Weber pans and get several cooks out of one pan. When the top pan becomes too flimsy I throw it a way and add another pan. The water is primarily used to keep the pan from gunking up so quickly.

I use a drip pan for indirect grilling when the food's going to have a tendency to drip (chicken thighs and pork steak, for example) because it's going to be cooking for awhile. If I'm cooking steaks or something else that won't be in the indirect zone very long I may or may not use a drip pan.

What I'd really like to find is a permanent pan made of cast iron or another bare, uncoated metal that I can clean and reuse over and over again. So far all the rectangular pans I've found are coated with something and my concern is that constant exposure to hot coals will cause the coating to come off and affect the food.

Brad

Brad
Think cast iron, as a drip pan, would be to hard to keep clean. It's easy to clean when it's been well seasoned and used for cooking.
Do you have a restaraunt supply store anywhere near you? I have a 10" x 12" x 2 3/4" deep stainless pan that I use on my grills and smokers to cook beans and such + I have used it as a drip pan - it fits nicely between the side baskets on my 22 1/2" One Touch.
Larry (Cactus)

I almost never use a pan. I also almost never cook with sugar so that probably helps.

The only down side is sometimes I have to knock the ash pan against the trash can to get the stuff off the bottom, but the the vast majority of the time, the grease comes right out with the ash. No big deal.

It didn't even occur to me to use a drip pan until I had been bbqing for a couple of years so at that point, I figured if there hasn't been an issue yet, there probably wasn't going to be.

Originally posted by Gary Hodgin:
I use indirect in about all my grilling. I have the Weber charcoal holders and double up the pans. I double up the pans so they're a little stronger. I add a glass or two of water.

When I'm finished I just pour the water out, dry the pan off with a paper towel and used it again. I use the Weber pans and get several cooks out of one pan. When the top pan becomes too flimsy I throw it a way and add another pan. The water is primarily used to keep the pan from gunking up so quickly.

Gary,
Where do you pour the gunky water? (sink, trash, yard, neighbor's yard, ?) lol

Back