So... What's the latest "consensus" on grates/bars for a Genny B/C ?

DaveW

TVWBB Wizard
Howdy all, been away for a while. Life has been keeping me busy. Anywho, I'm needing to replace the grates on a couple of Genny's. Yeah, I know, RCPlanebuyer, but I don't know that the folks in question want to spend that much.

So, trying to find out what the next best option is. Ideally, fairly thick rods and higher rod count to minimize the space between them. Any suggestions ?

Guess while I'm at it, would appreciate some recommendations for replacement flavorizer bars as well.

Jon Tofte did an excellent review of grates awhile ago, and you might like to read his comments on how he did his ratings. Things have changed since then, of course, but this might be of interest...

Guys, I'm out of my league here. I'm going to refer you to Bruce or one of the other rehabbers who all have a wealth of experience in this area.

I'm intrigued by these SS rod grates - can someone point me to some 304 9mm grates that will fit my Genesis II 335?

My existing PCI grates are 18-7/8 X 12-78.
I think the only one selling 9mm grates is rcplanebuyer? But really 7mm grates are just as good in my opinion. I have one grill with the 9mm and another with the 7mm and they perform equally well.

The heavier the better. You get better and more controlled heat retention/release, less sticking, easier maintenance. To that beware of grates with too few field bars (wide spacing) nothing spoils a cook like a grill with grates so spaced out you can drop a T-Bone through them. It's a royal peeve of mine. And yeah I know some think I am picky but until you make the investment on quality grates with sufficient heft and spacing you will never understand. Remember the thing you interact with the most intimately (short of the food) is the grates. If the grates suck your experience will be a chore not a pleasure. Honestly I would not spend a dime for 7MM grates on a grill I was keeping.

Well I finally found the correct fit on the Weber site, very last item on their list of gas grill accessories. 9mm, but the steel quality is not listed. With a price of $145.99 I think I'll just keep using the CI that came with my grill.

If looking for flavorizer bars, you have to consider these. They are 16 gauge and Stainless. I think 430 stainless, but if you use the 30% off coupon, they are only about $15 per set.

The company below makes usa made 300 series solid stainless rod grates. Not quite as heavy as rcplanebuyer grates but still plenty nice and with the same preferred closer spacing. I can tell no difference between these and my rcplanebuyer grates after 5 years of using both on two separate grills. It's likely both will outlive the weber grills they are on. Just another consideration.

The company below makes usa made 300 series solid stainless rod grates. Not quite as heavy as rcplanebuyer grates but still plenty nice and with the same preferred closer spacing. I can tell no difference between these and my rcplanebuyer grates after 5 years of using both on two separate grills. It's likely both will outlive the weber grills they are on. Just another consideration.

Yes, that is a really good company and a great product. I did include them in my review. Very close “second” to rcplanebuyer. I doubt most people would know the difference.

For my two cents, I have to agree that 9mm grates really do impress. However, many people would find the better 7mm choices out there very satisfactory and be glad to save the money. It is a matter of priorities, and I can see why Larry feels as he does while also respecting someone who makes a different choice.

I also think that for grates the difference between 430 stainless and the better 304 is not that big a deal. I have cleaned up a number of 430 Weber rod grates and haven’t found them to corrode any more than 304 grates. Probably, the seasoning from use helps protect the metal. Now, when you are talking about sheet metal panels, trays, etc. that is another story. I have seen Weber 430 stainless side tables that look like they had the measles while true high grade 304 stainless carts on Broilmaster and 304 stainless frames on the ‘05-‘06 Platinum Genesis and Summit grills will last for years in tough conditions.

Bottom line the perception of "quality" you will get from your resto will rest on what you interact with every time you use it. The rest will function pretty well whether you pay $100 for a set of flavo bars or $30. But what you lay your food on and cook on is what you "feel" or actually "communicate" with. It's the "tactile" things that communicate quality. Think about the automotive industry. Take Toyota and say BMW. Toyota almost ALWAYS made a "better" car than BMW (if you're simply looking at the "appliance" part of it). But when you drive a BMW it's the tactile response that makes you "think" it's higher quality. Even though that lowly Corolla could last rings around the BMW. So to gain a better foothold they studied everything about BMW, Benz, and so on. They went to great lengths and expense to get the "tactile feel" i.e. steering feel, throttle response, feel of the switches and controls and so on. They REALLY went all out on the Lexus line. Even though the underlying vehicle may be a Camry when you drive a Lexus ES you don't "get" Camry.
That's why I am a huge advocate of making the parts of the grill you actually interact with to be the best quality you can afford. You will be rewarded with a nice experience and easier maintenance in additions to long (lifetime) endurance.

Larry,
Liking your Toyota/BWM reference.

Working on both over the years I'd take a Toyota any day. BWM are the Weber Summit of grills, beautiful at first but longevity is not eithers strong suit.

Jeff

Yes, that is a really good company and a great product. I did include them in my review. Very close “second” to rcplanebuyer. I doubt most people would know the difference.

For my two cents, I have to agree that 9mm grates really do impress. However, many people would find the better 7mm choices out there very satisfactory and be glad to save the money. It is a matter of priorities, and I can see why Larry feels as he does while also respecting someone who makes a different choice.

I also think that for grates the difference between 430 stainless and the better 304 is not that big a deal. I have cleaned up a number of 430 Weber rod grates and haven’t found them to corrode any more than 304 grates. Probably, the seasoning from use helps protect the metal. Now, when you are talking about sheet metal panels, trays, etc. that is another story. I have seen Weber 430 stainless side tables that look like they had the measles while true high grade 304 stainless carts on Broilmaster and 304 stainless frames on the ‘05-‘06 Platinum Genesis and Summit grills will last for years in tough conditions.

Jon i agree with everything you have said here. I'll also add that many so called "grill masters" think smaller \thinner gauge grates are superior to the heavier gauge in actual grilling ability. I've read their statements about how the thinner gauge metal let's more radiant heat through. Some of them prefer the really thin wire type grates. I'm not sure I agree ? And there's no way the really thin gauge would be as durable as the thicker gauge IMO. But I do think it's a case of diminishing returns when you are comparing 7, 8, and 9 mm grates.

Bottom line the perception of "quality" you will get from your resto will rest on what you interact with every time you use it. The rest will function pretty well whether you pay $100 for a set of flavo bars or $30. But what you lay your food on and cook on is what you "feel" or actually "communicate" with. It's the "tactile" things that communicate quality. Think about the automotive industry. Take Toyota and say BMW. Toyota almost ALWAYS made a "better" car than BMW (if you're simply looking at the "appliance" part of it). But when you drive a BMW it's the tactile response that makes you "think" it's higher quality. Even though that lowly Corolla could last rings around the BMW. So to gain a better foothold they studied everything about BMW, Benz, and so on. They went to great lengths and expense to get the "tactile feel" i.e. steering feel, throttle response, feel of the switches and controls and so on. They REALLY went all out on the Lexus line. Even though the underlying vehicle may be a Camry when you drive a Lexus ES you don't "get" Camry.
That's why I am a huge advocate of making the parts of the grill you actually interact with to be the best quality you can afford. You will be rewarded with a nice experience and easier maintenance in additions to long (lifetime) endurance.
love the Toyota BMW analogy.

Back