So what led you to buy a 26" kettle?

Gary S

TVWBB Guru
I've heard Weber does monitor this site from time to time or possibly all the time. I'm really curious about the reasons that led to you buying the 26"? Maybe I'm doing some marketing research for Weber (unknowingly) but it seems like this kettle is so awesome and yet not a lot of people buy it, probably because of price, Weber doesn't seem to pay that much attention to it and the available accessories are almost non existent.
What do you have to say?

I really wanted the Ranch but didnt want to spend 1300 $, this was the next closest, I just wish they would make a 26" performer.

A 26" performer would be simply awesome!

While I don't have the 26er just yet, it's in my near future. I enjoy using a cast iron skillet for veggies & such dead center on my 22.5 with meat around the perimeter. The additional room of the 26 would be a warm welcome in that instance. And the additional height is a bonus!

I have a 26, and I have been critical of it in the past. (I also have a Performer, a SJS, Q220, a Jumbo Joe, and a Big Steel Keg.)

The leg flanges (which seem to be exactly the same as the flanges on a 22.5) are simply not strong enough. They bend under the weight of the kettle, and then the kettle will not sit flat. The first one I had, I used to tap the flanges straight with a mallet, but soon they fatigued and popped off. Weber replaced the whole bottom section. But the second one has also fatigued and now sits it a tilted forward kind of way.

So a dire warning to any new 26 owner: Never ever pull on the front handle. NEVER move it when its hot. If you need to move it, then pick it up off the ground and carry it. Using the wheels will bend the leg flanges.

Also: why does it have to cost TWICE as much as a 22.5" ?

Also, why does the replacement grate have to cost $100?

Hey Chad, I'm wondering if you might be the norm...working your way up to a 26". That's where |I came from but who knows.
Darrel your comments are not much different than many of the reviews others have made on various sites. I think, just me, that volume has a lot to do with the cost set from production, but I agree a SS grate is not worth double. The guage of metal I think is a little heavier but again probably only a marginal cost. You did not tell us why you went for the 26, I'm sure you had a reason?

Last edited:
So what led you to buy a 26" kettle? What do you have to say?

180 bucks brand spanking new. That was my motivation. Unfortunately used only once in 1 year of ownership.

Almost a crying shame seeing a 2012 model big Kettle just sit unused. I plan to gift it to my mother and father-in-law this summer once we get moved.

I really wanted the Ranch but didnt want to spend 1300 $, this was the next closest, I just wish they would make a 26" performer.

Exactly. I simply needed the grilling space since I cook for a large household. Thankfully, I found my 26" off CL for half the price of a new one.

I just sold mine. I few flaws in my opinion. it has the same fin system as the 22. except when you use it the fins don't reach up the the bottom grate so you have 2" or so that the fins don't touch ash. I always had to take the bottom grate off and brush the ash down to the fins. pain in the @ss. also the lid it to heavy w/ only using a top handle. I put a front one on mine but I just like the 22 way better. plus all the cool extras that you can enhance the 22 that the 26 doesn't have. I just love my 22's.

...it has the same fin system as the 22. except when you use it the fins don't reach up the the bottom grate so you have 2" or so that the fins don't touch ash. I always had to take the bottom grate off and brush the ash down to the fins. pain in the @ss...

I understand they save $ by not retooling and having too many parts, but I think this was a big mistake on Weber's part. It's probably my only beef so far with mine, but after all, the kettle is called a One Touch Gold. My Performer and 22" OTG are both One Touch kettles, but as much as I like it, my 26" isn't, and the ash piles that don't get swept can really be something if using briquettes, particularly Kingsford original.

But I believe that Gary S has leveraged this "flaw" you guys are mentioning with the sweeper blades to add a smaller charcoal grate (possibly from a 22.5) beneath the factory one. Then he dropped in a 22.5 inch cooking grate above that, which I believe he uses for high temp searing.

It may even be possible to use the 26.75 cooking grate on top of those two- essentially turning the grill into somewhat of a 2-level cooker (though I imagine the space between the smaller and factory charcoal grates would have to be really tight).

I've completed three cooks now and I do like the lower CI grate as opposed to where Weber has intended the charcoal grate to go. I was surprised by the sweep of the vent blades and that a back and forth motion like on the 22 will not clean the ash from the bowl so that is PIA but since I mostly use charcoal I can get away with it for 2-3 cooks.
I have also been doing some low and slow with my kettle using parts from the 18 WSM. I tried the charcoal grate which is even smaller in diameter than my CI and placed the charcoal ring on it. It all fit well. I continued though with my CI grate, the WSM charcoal ring and then placed a heavy guage 15 inch metal plate wrapped in foil. That worked really well for LNS and catches drippings too.

The point of my post though is to better understand who buys a 26 because my guess would be, could be wrong, that first time charcoal users do not buy the 26. Most move up or add one for various reasons.
I hope the posts keep coming.

When I started doing all of my charcoal cooking indirect, I found that I couldn't cook very much on my 22" kettle. The 26" gives me the amount of space I need if I'm cooking for more than just my immediate family. Of course, I could always just start up a second 22" kettle for more space. But I like having all different kinds of cookers.

Bill

I bought mine because I didn't have one, and it was only $22 at a yard sale. I use it only a few times a year but it's nice to have it when I need it.

I saw the 26" kettle in a BBQ store in Tucson, just had to have one, still have my 22" kettle but the 26" looks like a monster next to the 22" :cool:

I've just recently purchased a 26.75". Figured I'd get much more real estate on the big grates. We have BIG families and didn't want to have to deal with 2 charcoal kettles. I have my Genesis 330, a 22 WSM and now the 26.75 OTG. The trifecta is complete! So far, my only gripes are, the flimsy legs and the lack of a front handle. I think I'm going to drill/tap some stainless set bolts thru each leg base at the bowl, then high temp silicone the legs in place and finish off with little red loctite on the bolts.

Makes me think that prospective purchasers, for the most part are experienced grillers looking for something more. To bad the manufacturer would not offer a 26" kettle with features such as a cart and tables(s)

I havent purchased one yet but I will in the near future. Gary, I think you are pretty much correct in that the market is a more experienced griller. I think the casual griller sees the kettle type grill as bare bones charcoal grill and probably wouldnt spend the money for the 26. My reason for wanting the 26 is that I frequently cook for larger groups and even when I am cooking for my family, I almost always cook more than one meal on it. In other words, if I am cooking chicken for tonight, I may throw some burgers or something on so I have lunches or future dinners. We are really active and it is difficult to find the time to cook a proper meal every night so this keeps us from grabbing fast food.

I also use it primarily with zones so I can cook indirect and want to use it to smoke. I had a big WSM but I dont any more so the 26 would be more of a dual purpose.

I for one am not interested in a performer version because then the cost would definitely be prohibitive. I like the idea of the cart but $300 is my limit. Plus, I am considering building a table for the patio but it would serve all of my grills. More accessories specifically for the 26 would be great although I am not much of an accessory guy. It seems like the front handle should be an automatic though. I havent used one yet but with a lid that heavy, it just seems safer.

Good thread Gary.

The idea of a 26 or a ranch is very appealing, but at the prices asked, the value is missing.
So if I need more space I just park a couple of 22's next to each other and problem is solved
for little bitty bucks in comparison.

Back