So-So Pic.....but Delicious Salmon

Todd NC

TVWBB Pro
Grilled some Loch Duart salmon for supper with an asian marinade and sesame rice and salad on the side. Grilled indirect at 400 with Kingsford Pro until it hit 125. I've found that to be my preferred temp for salmon - the internal fat is nicely melted and the fish has a soft texture. My plating could use some color, but who cares.

IMG_3939.jpg IMG_3941.jpg

Todd: Nice Cook! That Master Griller Harry Soo states that it's the cook and not necessarily the cooker which turns-out great BBQ and Grilling Eats. Which leads me to thinking if a One-Thousand plus($1,000+) Weber Kamodo Kettle would cook that salmon any better in comparison to a 22" or 26" Weber Regular Charcoal Kettle??

However, We sure like our Toys!!

Last edited:
Todd: Nice Cook! That Master Griller Harry Soo states that it's the cook and not necessarily the cooker which turns-out great BBQ and Grilling Eats. Which leads me to thinking if a One-Thousand plus($1,000+) Weber Kamodo Grill would cook that salmon any better in comparison to a 22" or 26" Weber Regular Charcoal Kettle??

However, We sure like our Toys!!

I don't know if a $1,000 Kamodo would make for better salmon or not, but I do know my second-hand 22"kettle cooked it just fine. But, I would tell my wife otherwise. :sneaky:

Sounds tasty. Tell us more about you sesame rice. Bet it would pair well with a cucumber salad.

Sounds tasty. Tell us more about you sesame rice. Bet it would pair well with a cucumber salad.

It's pretty simple to make - we mince up some garlic and saute it in butter, then add the rice and brown it a little bit. Add the water, a little salt, and about a tablespoon of soy sauce. Let the rice cook until it's done then stir in just a little toasted sesame oil.

It's pretty simple to make - we mince up some garlic and saute it in butter, then add the rice and brown it a little bit. Add the water, a little salt, and about a tablespoon of soy sauce. Let the rice cook until it's done then stir in just a little toasted sesame oil.
Sounds like a good plan. We’ve made sesame rice and am always looking for new ideas.

Grilled some Loch Duart salmon for supper with an asian marinade and sesame rice and salad on the side. Grilled indirect at 400 with Kingsford Pro until it hit 125. I've found that to be my preferred temp for salmon - the internal fat is nicely melted and the fish has a soft texture. My plating could use some color, but who cares.

View attachment 26605 View attachment 26606
Admiring the glaze you achieved during this cook.

125 is also my favorite temp for salmon.

I used to cook it mainly on the gasser, starting meat side down.

Now I tend to go sous vide at 125 for 45 minutes to an hour with S&P, thyme, lemon zest, and olive oil in the bag with it. Comes out like butter.

Now I tend to go sous vide at 125 for 45 minutes to an hour with S&P, thyme, lemon zest, and olive oil in the bag with it. Comes out like butter.

I haven't tried sous vide salmon yet. I grill mine indirect, skin side down, and no flipping. I tend to destroy it when I flip it.

Chris, have you had the same "comes out like butter" results with wild salmon? I have not got the results I want with wild salmon with any method I try including sous vide, oven, fry pan, or grill. I think the wild caught just does not have enough fat.

Back