So, I'm assembling a kettle for my best friend's 26th wedding anniversary . . . (Done!)

That is a terrific gift and kudos to you for going to all that work, they’ll love it. But I can’t help but think a 26” kettle would have stolen the show on their 26th anniversary. 😉
I agree.

But my friends really aren't grill enthusiasts like the folks here and wouldn't appreciate the gesture the same way. I think they'd be more like, "why is it so big?" :)

Delivered the grill this past weekend. My friends seemed impressed (for not being enthusiasts) and liked the personalization. I'll post the finished photos later, I left my camera at their place. (That's my bluebird house design and build in the photo on the left).

Anniversary Kettle.jpg

I got a some consultant help from my wife on this one. She says for a quick cook? Surf and Turf; thick cut. reverse seared ribeyes and a skewer or two of big shrimp kissed with pecan and mesquite smoke. Of course, seasoned to your preference; dry brined, hand rubbed, etc.... choices, choices. .Gonna be an awesome day.
B.A. we did exactly this. Costco Prime ribeye (had to second mortgage the house for those), shrimp with a garlic, lemon, and fresh herbs from the garden marinade, pecan smoke. Also slow cooked a full rack of spare ribs. I think I took photos, but celebratory alcohol was involved, so once I retrieve my camera I'll see if there are photos to post. Thanks for the idea, everyone loved the food.

I left a ribeye behind and my friend made that as his first cook on a Weber kettle the next day. Pretty good first try I think. 👍

ribeye.jpeg

Looks like it turned out great!
I see you added an ash sweep handle to it. Who did you end up getting that from? RCW said he wasn’t making them at this time.

Original hardware on the left, my choice of hardware on the right.

View attachment 32794

View attachment 32795

Below, my hardware on the left, original on the right. I feel good about the aluminum washers against the kettle. Weber must do it for a reason. I believe the aluminum will conform the the slight curve of the bowl and the aluminum will protect the porcelain from the expansion/contration/flexing of the hard steel screws. I also think the washers give a higher standard of build appearance.

I chose slotted screws because that's what Weber has used in the past and I believe they will be easier to clean than other choices. Have fun digging a couple of years of hardened gunk out of that screw on the right.

You can see how close the grate is to the screw heads, that's why I put the nuts on the outside.

View attachment 32796
Like a craftsman should do! Great job Tim!!

Yes, good catch. The ash sweep handle is from eBay seller, executor70. Very nice quality.
Did you get the other handles through RCW? How did you like them?
I just received mine today and put them on and love they way they look!

Attachments

• 0CEAF9E0-3437-4756-9959-0AE5B201517E.jpeg
    0CEAF9E0-3437-4756-9959-0AE5B201517E.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 250CEB1A-91E8-4081-A4D2-5FFC82EACC04.jpeg
    250CEB1A-91E8-4081-A4D2-5FFC82EACC04.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 1C28C78D-D2EA-43FB-AC0A-643834CECECF.jpeg
    1C28C78D-D2EA-43FB-AC0A-643834CECECF.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 22
Wrapping up this project with a few detail photos and some photos of our first cooks. I took B.A. Poole and his wife's advice and cooked up garlic and herb shrimp, prime ribeye, and a full rack of spare ribs for good measure. Also our inaugural attempt at Vortex wings this past weekend.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and support! 👍

Attachments

• Anniv grill 1.JPG
    Anniv grill 1.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Anniv grill 2.JPG
    Anniv grill 2.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 41
  • anniv grill 3.JPG
    anniv grill 3.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 39
  • anniv handle.JPG
    anniv handle.JPG
    90.2 KB · Views: 38
  • anniv ribs and ribeye.JPG
    anniv ribs and ribeye.JPG
    200.2 KB · Views: 33
  • anniv ribs and shrimp.JPG
    anniv ribs and shrimp.JPG
    205.5 KB · Views: 37
  • anniv vortex wings.JPG
    anniv vortex wings.JPG
    195.2 KB · Views: 36
  • anniv wheel.JPG
    anniv wheel.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 40
Yes, RCW, very happy with the results. He also met my 2-week deadline with no problem.
And bumped my order in the process :ROFLMAO:
It’s all good I was in no rush for them.

Everything you planned turned out great!
Now you need to restore that gasser for them or find them a redhead to sit next to the Anniversary grill.

And bumped my order in the process :ROFLMAO:
It’s all good I was in no rush for them.

Everything you planned turned out great!
Now you need to restore that gasser for them or find them a redhead to sit next to the Anniversary grill.
Thanks! We were talking about restoring that gas grill. They bought it new. It is getting a bit rough.

RCW does great work, I try to not rush this kind of work from anyone that is as good as he is. Give them the time to do what they do. The custom cypress pieces he did for me are really spectacular!

Back