So I met another resto guy......FYI he makes the Weber 3000 style wooden handles!!!!!!

What happened? Did he just decide there was not enough money in it? The time involved might have been a bigger factor than originally estimated?
I’m thinking about seeing if my cabinet maker buddy might make me one using some of the cypress to match the rest of the grills.

You may remember that I had a friend who does woodworking and who was kind enough to make 6 handles for me (including a couple red oak ones to match some special projects.) When I first gave him a sample to work from, he didn't think that it was a big deal. After doing them, he was disappointed how they came out and said it was harder than he had thought. They may not be 100% perfect, but I was happy. Still, it does show these aren't the easiest things to reproduce. I am sure Weber had an automated jig setup and could crank them out much more easily.

Certainly Weber, or their contracted company, had a machine all set up and designed to just make the wood handles. I imagine they could cut a hundred or more handles an hour with it, all perfectly cut. I made my own for my Genesis 1000 and it didn't come out perfectly using a drill, a skil saw and a router. But it was way better than any old weathered ones I had.

Ehhhhh its a long story....I have to be careful because he could be a lurker on this site. Bottom line is he told me he makes the handles and resto's Webers. I offered to mention them on the forum and sell a bunch for him. I got the ball rolling and I figured I could easily sell 50 for him but then he just kind of got flakey. He wants to chat grills every day which I just dont have time to do ( except on the forum ) .......so I have let the candle blow out and have moved on.

I opted for practicality over beauty and use one of the #9057 Weber Grill Out Lights. For me, it solves two problems at once...not enough light at the grill and having to source or make a wooden handle. Probably not much help for rehabbers trying to keep the costs down, though.

Ed,
Those are really cool, especially when upgraded with LED bulbs. Another good thing they do is move your hand a little further away from the hood. That was one poor design thing about the original Genesis that Weber truly did improve in the later Genesis Silver grills with the curved handle.

I actually am hoping to use one in a flip grill, but I have my doubts. It is a pricey addition that many may not be willing to pay for. On my long list of things to explore here in my new Indiana world is to see if I can find a woodworker here who would take up this task at a realistic price.

Jon, I doubt you will get an extra $50 for a flip grill with the handle light. It might make selling the grill a tough prospect and one where you still sell it, but with no added value from the light.

I would offer it up as and add on, and list it as an add on in the advertisement. I sold a grill with a brand new rotisserie on it and jacked up the price accordingly. When the guy bought it, he didn't seem one bit interested in the roto or anything. I really think I could have sold it without the roto for the same price.

Yeah, I suppose that we get so into all this Weber stuff that we forget that most people don't know or care that much about these extras. :(

I have also tried doing what I said and listing optional accessories for grills but no one has ever opted for any of the add ons. I have sold a couple covers with grills however.

I used to list grills for sale with a cover, tank, etc. but ultimately people would start with "how much without the tank or cover" Now I offer a tank if they pay full price, sometime a cover if I have one, I have even added the extras to get them to full price.

Ah, yes, the tank. I have only sold them as add ons once or twice. Just $10. I have about a dozen now. hahaha

Back