So Did I Make A Big Mistake in Purchasing an ET-73?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m homchick

TVWBB Member
Just got my ET-73, and inside the box the first thing I came across are "supplemental instructions" that claim in bold type: "Signal can be lost if a) temperatures inside the smoker remain unchanged for 15 minutes" or from interference from walls or the broadcasting unit being too hot (too close to the smoker).

From what I have seen on my WSM the likelyhood of the temperature NOT changing within a 15-minute time span is MUCH more probable than not. Now I'm beginning to believe that my sole purpose for buying this unit--beinging warned of a drastic temp change when I'm sleeping through the night--was for nothing.

What should I expect? Is this the norm? Are there those of you that have had the "connection" between the base and temp probe unit stay even without a temp change? Should I send it back? Because if it can't deliver what I bought it for, I don't want it...

Help!

M, I feel you concern but let's not be hasty. Go ahead and click here for the Maverick Customer Support number. Give them a call...I can tell you first hand that they stand behind their porduct. They just sent me out a new RX as mine was not getting the proper distance(no question asked). Call them and see what they say then make your decision.

I still believe that when this thing works, it is an awesome tool to have!!

Greg:

Yes, from what I see they do stand behind it. However, since they're going through the trouble up front to inform customers that the thing will lose the signal of the temp doesn't change in a 15-minute period, seems to me that I would have no recourse if it in fact that function was a designed-in feature as a battery saver as I have read on TVWB.

In other words, I hate to use it and then try to return it if it is not designed to do what I want it to do: Alert me to temp changes while I'm sleeping.

I'll send them a note (thanks for the link) to see what they say. I would feel bad about using it then trying to return it if it shuts off before it tells me of a temp change-which they clearly state it will do.

M, let me know what they say...if that is the case(shut-off)then I will be sending mine back as well!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

you could get the GURU there's still 4 days left for the 8% off deal. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif And sleep alllllll night /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Later Bryan

G:

Just got off the phone with them, and I was told that the 15-minute rule is indeed a "battery-saving feature." But he said that he did not think it possible that there would not be a meat or smoker temp change (in other words in one of two probes) withing a 15-minute period.

Now, I can only speak for the accuracy of a lid-mounted bi-metal therm with five-degree increments, but I can say that I've not seen that thermo move one milimeter in two hours on my WSM.

He then stated that he thought it would "come back to life" if the temp changed after the 15 minute window had passed. When I read the warning note to him again (which he claimed to not know about), he then became less committed on the statement and said he "...really wasn't sure. I think that one does that... Hmmm. I'm not sure."

So, I don't know what to do. Try it once, I guess. But the one time I get a steady temp thing going and it shuts off I'll never know while I'm asleep. I do have my own ethics, and would feel bad about returning it if they say that that is the way it's designed...

Too bad they don't redesign it to take out the battery-saver feature.

I'd love to hear from others in regards to this battery-saving feature and temp changes within the 15-minute window.

I should have mine in a couple days...I will run a test on it and see if it comes back to life and post back to you. I suppose you can try someting on your own if you don't want to wait.

Leave it in water for 15 or 20 minuets then have someone put it in hot water and see if the temp change registers on the RX. Easy and clean way to test it M.

I have the ET-73 and my only concern so far is the distance claim. Seems to work good at about 30 feet, which I could live with rather than having it turn off.

I just did a 7 hour cook and had no "turn off" problems. Would hate to have the distance thing fixed only get a new RX that shuts off.

Rath *also waits for the test results*

I have the concern about the distance and I think I will contact them to see about getting a new unit. As for the 15 min. shut off - come on, no change??? Do a rib cook and try it, but I doubt that you'll see that steady of temps on a digital thermometer. I don't believe I've ever got my wsm that steady, but if you have and your unit shuts down, I'd be interested in two things (1) Does the unit come back on when the temp changes? (2) How in the world do you get your temps that steady!!

Fifteen minutes with absolutely no change on both meat and smoker therms? No way. The odds are too long for even Vegas. I've watched mine flicker back and forth between two temps just "because". The transmitter works in one degree increments (at least).

If you are able to hold both temps to within one degree for that long, you deserve a new designation well beyond wizard.

If I could pull that off, I would count that as something worth crowing about, "Hey list! you'll never guess what I did! Yup, I held the temps so steady that I was able to turn off my thermometer."

Let us know when you accomplish that one. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

This is intended as humorous, but occasionally I get carried away.

I bought mine when they first became commercially available, and have used it for many overnight cooks. All I can say is: I sleep, it doesn't. The alarm feature has awakened me each time it should have, and it has never failed me. Once you learn it's actual distance limitations, you'll love it.

well ya can always go with gettin the guru.. with the 8% discount.. just a few more bucks to shell out....but then you really wont have to worry about your temps....but if your worried about the ethical part or using when they even mention that.....just call them up and tell them your delema and see what they say.. they may want you as a customer and theyd be will for you to try it first......i did that once at circuit city when i wanted to watch a big game and i didnt have a tv .. i told them that i only wnated to watch the game tongith and then return i the next day.. and they said you can return it for any reason you like... so i did...thanks cicuit city....
Mords
take care

G:

Well, I plugged both probes into it and let them sit at room temp. After 40 minutes with no temp changes it's still working perfectly despite what they said about the 15 minute shut off.

So far so good.

So, I'm just going to leave it on for a few hours and see what happens. If there are any changes, I'll report back.

MH

MH, did you put a probe in a different temp element to see if it would register to the RX after the 15 min wait time?

If you just have them sitting at room temp, there is a good chance there might be no temp change for a while.

Wating for any new updated...thanks MH!!

G:

Two hours now, and each probe has dropped a degree (interestingly they read one degree apart). But, it's still going!!

To check that they're working after sitting for an hour, I grabbed one probe with my finger which was enought to raise the temp five degrees. It registered correctly on the RX end

Just for jollies I'm gong to leave it on overnight and see where it's at in the morning.

As for now, I'm going to check reception from the back yard to my bedroom.

I'll drop a note here in the morning.

MH

MH, give me your home address and I'll send you a pack of AAA for the testing you've done!

Much appreciated and, baring bad reports overnight, will be happy to get my replacement RX this week!! Thanks again!

G:

Thanks, but I don't need no stinking batteries!

Well, I let it run all night outside (at ambient temperature)with the RX on my nightstand and it was still perking along perfectly in the morning.

So, I'd say it's more than advertised because it apparently does not shut off after 15 minutes of no temp change as noted in the "supplemental instructions." At least the one I have anyway.

End of this thread for me. So far I am very, very satisfied.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back