Snake method in a kettle question

Jon in SF

TVWBB Fan
Hello all! This is my first time using the snake method and I was wondering if the use of fire bricks will be a benefit as it does with the modified minion? Or is it just overkill. Every picture and post I've seen does not use any sort of barrier and I would think that you'd still get some direct heat from the coals. Here's a pic of how I have it set up. I'll be smoking a 7 pound butt for pulled pork

12139451365_dfd17eba06_z.jpg

Oh and my daughter decided to help out lol

Thanks in advance!

So far I have not seen anyone use fire bricks with the snake method. It would be interesting to know how it works for you,
then try without the bricks and see which way you like better.

Oh yes I forgot to mention that I was going to do that. You can actually see the pan that I'm going to use on top of the cinder block on the top of the pic but I didn't put it in yet cause it was all cruddy and oily from my last cook. I'll go ahead and try this. I'm still new to smoking so I'm hoping I don't screw up too badly. My last one came out pretty good but I used the minion method with the bricks on one side. I was constantly getting temperature spikes and I've read that this is more stable. I'll let you guys know how it turns out, it'll be going on tonight or early morning.

It'll be fine with or without the bricks. The best thing I've ever done when it came to low-n-slow BBQ'ing ---- stopped worring about the little things. Even temperature spikes are no big deal. Constant temps way above target are a different story. Fire it up, toss on some meat, and kick back & relax.

Can't wait to see the results, is this a one touch grill or 3 wheeler? Just wondering how you control the air intake?
And that Jr. BBQ'er is a cutie!

Last edited:
It'll be fine with or without the bricks. The best thing I've ever done when it came to low-n-slow BBQ'ing ---- stopped worring about the little things. Even temperature spikes are no big deal. Constant temps way above target are a different story. Fire it up, toss on some meat, and kick back & relax.

Kinda sums my experience up. ...and your little helper is awesome.

I don't use bricks with this method. If I am doing ribs I will rotate them so that they are evenly exposed to the heat.

Ok, so I fired the snake up early Sunday morning at about 12:30am, got her up to temp and laid the meat down at around 1am. The wife woke me up just before 8am and asked if I needed to check the BBQ so I got up and was pleased to find that kettle held the temperature at 275. I don't yet have a probe thermometer that I can place on the cooking surface, I only have a dial one that's directly on top of the lid so I figure whatever that reads the cooking area must be about 15 or so degrees less. The butt was at 170. I took a peek inside and noticed that the snake had gone about 3/4 of the way, but there were several unburned briquettes along the ash trail. I'm guessing I set them too far up the sides of the kettle (I went 2-2-2) so I restacked them closer to the burning portion. A few hours later I noticed that the temperature had gone down to 225, so I took another look. It seems that I had the bricks too close to the snake that as it burned the charcoal grate was getting clogged with ash, not allowing air to get to the fire. I tried to push the ash down as far as I could and clear up as much of the grate as possible and repositioned the coals and added more. The temp got back up to about 300 so I closed the top damper a bit. Another hour later the temperature had gone down again to 250. So about every hour till it was done, I kept having to clear the ash just so the fire could breath. The entire cook took about 14 hours and several hours of messing with ash. Once the meat reached 200 I wrapped it up in foil and kept it in a cooler till dinner time. Boy was all that work worth it cause it pulled with ease.

But there were a couple things I noticed. The meat was very moist and flavorful, but compared to the last butt I did, the bark wasn't as sweet and not as smokey. I used the exact same rub and the exact same wood (hickory). Maybe I over smoked the first one, but why would the sweetness not be there? Don't get me wrong, texture and taste wise, the second one was better. I was just missing the sweetness in the bark.

Here are a few pics:

Rubbed before sticking in the fridge for 8 hours
12184705434_b5b7699726_z.jpg

After 7 hours of cooking. I forgot to take a picture of how the snake looked and the unburnt coals. This was after I restacked them.
12184280815_03f7e9abd4_z.jpg

Finally done after 14 hours. You can see how clogged the grates are and how little air the coals were able to receive
12184516613_d7c62544fd_z.jpg

I should've taken more pictures but I was caught up in the moment. This is after several people have made their sandwiches already lol
12184905636_bd3cc0b3ae_z.jpg

So I liked how this turned out, even tho I had problems with the ash. I think I'm going to try it out again without the bricks and see how that works. I just worry about one end getting burnt, but I guess I can rotate it like Jeff mentioned. Thanks for all the input and help, this is only the second time I've tried this and I'm very pleased with the results. But I couldn't have done it without reading up on it here and other sites. Oh and my lil helper claimed the Smokey Joe as her own since it was more her size, so I may have to get another one for me so I can convert it to a mini WSM lol. But she's learning quite a bit too, she threw in some briquettes and wanted to check the temperature each time I checked mine. Future smoker in training! Now if I can only get my wife to stop screaming about her hands being all black from the charcoal....

I really like your set up. I'm going to try it sometime in my 26. Maybe if Kingsford Competition briquettes were used instead of KBB less ash would be produced??

Jon, I also like the basket of coals method like I did at this link.

The foil lined sheet pan under the meats keeps everything cleaner.

Check out the Charcoal Grill folder/forum.

I really like your set up. I'm going to try it sometime in my 26. Maybe if Kingsford Competition briquettes were used instead of KBB less ash would be produced??

I've been using Competition because I had 3 big bags and I'm trying to get through them so I can get the original blue bags. If I do use this again, I may move the fire bricks in closer together to give the snake more room to breath.

Jon, I also like the basket of coals method like I did at this link.

The foil lined sheet pan under the meats keeps everything cleaner.

Check out the Charcoal Grill folder/forum.

Very interesting. I was going to make that exact basket for my Smokey Joe mini WSM conversion. Did you have issues with ash clogging up the air at all?

I use bricks wrapped in aluminum foil (keeps them clean) when I do small stuff on my 18.5 kettle. Works great for me!

Very interesting. I was going to make that exact basket for my Smokey Joe mini WSM conversion. Did you have issues with ash clogging up the air at all?

I closed the fin vents all the way and added a 18 WSM vent. In the first photo you can see an air hole/vent on the left side about 9 oclock. That's all the air intake I needed and is out of the way so it does not clog.

Great looking cook. I used the snake method for 2 years before I bought my WSM and found it a great method for smoking.
At no point during those 2 years did I use fire bricks. I did put a drip pan with water in it to stop the fat from burning. Keep
up the good cooks and remember enjoy the process.

Back