Smoking wood

JeffKnob

Where is a good place to buy wood that doesn't cost a lot? I have found a few places online but they are all pricier than the 5lb bags of Weber chunks found in stores.

look on craiglist. lots of guys who have bbqers back. If not, just charge to the home depot or wally world. They sell it in the bag. just be carful. those bags have a few pretty rotted out pieces in them

I have found either Walmart or one of the Home Improvement stores are the cheapest. Might look to folks that do fire wood and give you a deal on some for smoking

I buy most of mine from a place that sells fire wood in small quantities. Must be cut up a bit buy way cheaper than anything in a bag.

IMO, depends what you feel/ like is the cheapest? Big box stores carry smoke wood with a shelf life of forever until they clearance them out for the fall sales.
Me, I'd rather pay for a good smoke-wood that has the right moisture content, like from this place.http://www.smokinlicious.ca/
It all depends on our personal tastes, and I know I really stepped up my game when I paid more for quality smoke-wood.:wsm:

Tim

Where is a good place to buy wood that doesn't cost a lot? I have found a few places online but they are all pricier than the 5lb bags of Weber chunks found in stores.
Jeff,
Depending on the type of wood you want, I'd try a local source like an orchard for some pruned apple, peach or cherry. You might want to check your local fireplace wood supplier for oak. You can usually get a single piece of fireplace log for nothing, and it should last through a fair number of cooks. The best part is that you can usually get it for nothing or a dollar at most. The same is true of orchard wood.

What's wrong with the 5lb bags of Weber chunks found in the stores? Are those too expensive (trying to get a better price) or do you believe they are not the best quality?

Personally, those bags seem reasonable to me. I haven't bought them because I'm still working off of some apple, cherry and hickory trees that were cut down and given to me for free, but when I run out, I think I'd buy the Weber chunks.

I think they are fine but the general idea is that store bought stuff is kiln dried (by law I believe) and doesn't have the moisture content of a piece of seasoned wood.

IMO, depends what you feel/ like is the cheapest? Big box stores carry smoke wood with a shelf life of forever until they clearance them out for the fall sales.
Me, I'd rather pay for a good smoke-wood that has the right moisture content, like from this place.http://www.smokinlicious.ca/
It all depends on our personal tastes, and I know I really stepped up my game when I paid more for quality smoke-wood.:wsm:

Tim

I second smokinlicious. I used to buy the weber and charbroil "cheap" stuff from OSH, Home Depot, Lowes, etc but never got good results. Then I got some hickory from smokinlicious and got some great smoke smell/flavor. I still have bags of the other stuff, but I'll only use them when grilling or reverse searing. But for smoking, I recommend spending more for more quality smoke wood.

Back