Smoking without water in the pan

B Harper

TVWBB Member
I've got several smokes under my belt. Smoker has nice buildup on the inside and maintaining temp with water is pretty easy. I'd like to stop using water due to cleanup (don't really want to bring it inside to pour out and don't want to pour it out in the backyard where the dog will mess with it.) What is the best route to waterless smoking? Get an ATC? Get a clay saucer? On the clay saucer what do you do on the newer model 18.5's? Put it in the water pan/bowl? What size?

B, I recently switched from water to clay saucer after doing alot of research on here. I must say, it is a world of difference. I was nervous at first and had to get used to another technique i.e. quick and higher temps etc. But other than that, it is something you should try. I too, have a 18.5 WSM, newer model and have done several cooks and have good build-up. The control of temps are realitvely the same for me, just quicker to reach higher temps but once I get it dialed in, it's just like using water! So far, I have done turkeys, brisket, ribs and butts both ways with water/no water. All have been successful in my family's opinion. Cleanup is a breeze as I also had the same concerns like you IRT my dogs and the aftermath of the smoke!

I bought a 12in clay saucer at HD (I may get a 14in as the 12in seems a wee bit small) and place it in the water pan. Then, tinfoil over the top. The 12in saucer sits down in the water pan pretty far, so I make a "cup-like" indentation in the tinfoil, to catch the drippings. It has worked flawlessly and when done, just remove the tinfoil and ball it up, throw it away!

You certainly don't need an ATC. I use one out of laziness, but it's not mandatory.

I'd say the biggest thing you're going to want to watch out for is having temps blast through your target temp. When I used to use water it would take considerable time for the cooker to get up to temp, but then it was smooth sailing.

Without water, you now have no heat sink, so it will get to temp quicker. You'll just have to be careful not have temps shoot north of your target.

I find it to be a pain in the *** getting temps down vs. getting them up.

yup, getting temps down kinda sucks. Thats why I am pretty vigilant in the begining. If I am within 25 degrees of my target temp, I am happy and is good enough for me.

I've had a 2009 model 18 1/2" WSM for about a year. All last year I used the stock water bowl with water. Besides for the clean up, the 2009 water pan is so big it blocks full access to the charcoal/fire ring.

A couple of weeks ago I got a Brinkmann charcoal pan and a 12" clay flower pot base. It allows full access to the charcoal pit. Temperature control is more responsive then with water. It also uses less fuel then with water. Wrapped in aluminum foil makes for a very easy clean up.

I plan on getting an ATC system, probably a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 (though I haven't fully decided yet). You don't need an ATC, but it's convenient and a cool toy.
icon_smile.gif

Bob

I use two clay saucers in my 18.5"/both foiled.

12" sits low in pan; the 14" on top (with room for bottom grate).

Just did ribs the other day. Fired two chimneys and put in ring when dusty. Temp went to 350, then trailed down to 300 after about 45-60 min. Added meat (3 racks) and lid temp went to 240-260 and stayed there for entire 4 hour cook. Works nicely.

I initially went from water, to clay saucer, now to just a foiled pan. For me the move was to avoid further prep and cleanup. It also helped me save on fuel for the larger cooks. I guess it really boils down to comfort in controlling temps, and I'm never one to leave the cooker unattended for long periods of time so if I do have a spike in temps I can choke it down if necessary.

i have just foiled the water pan for a couple years now and find it so much easier than filling it with water. just have to watch your temps as they are coming up,then just adjust the vents and you are golden.

Try em , try them all, water ,sand ,clay pot, empty foiled pan. However you're Weby runs in the backyard is different than how mines or anyone else s runs with the same .
It might take awhile, but you will find the best way that works for you.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Tim

Try reading this.

You do have to learn to manage your temps better when you don't use water but it doesn't take long to learn and the clean up is much easier. It will be a lot easier if you have a way to stay out of the wind. Also, when all else fails, you can shut the top vent (all vents) to get your fire back under control. I've only had to do that a couple times and when I did it, it was only for about 15 minutes but it worked.

Good luck.

B,

I echo all the great advice so far and mimic Mike M. I used water for the first year, but went with the saucer in the pan foiled after that. Now I just have to catch the temp on the way up, and it gets there pretty quick. But once I put the meat on I watch for about 1 hour, closing vents along the way, until I settle in somewhere near the target. Then I head to bed, if the case may be. I do have a BBQ guru but I only use it if my gut tells me I'm going to have some kind of trouble keeping temp, but even that hasn't happened in over a year. Give it a go; it's not hard at all.

Thanks for the input guys. I've already got a 12" saucer laying around. I guess I'll go grab a 14" and try Monty's method of 2 saucers.

I cooked a chicken using one 12" saucer in the water pan. I don't think I lit enough coals to get the temp as high as I wanted in the beginning, but other than that controlling the temp wasn't that bad. I'm going to cooks some ribs this afternoon. So, I'll see about keeping the temp around 250. Cleanup was a breeze compared to water.

Never tried water in the pan.....I did try sand for the first 2-3 cooks, but it became a nuissance after the 3rd cook. Since then I don't use anything. I foil up the pan....doubling it up on the inside of the pan, and that's it. After a while, I got tired checking the temps, so I use an ATC now. I got lazy, I guess....

But trying out different ways in the beginning never hurts.....but it gets boring after a while, and the time spent Qing, going low & slow has some drawbacks....so I tried to cook with the HH method, and the meat is every bit as tasty if you get used to the HH method, as with the low & slow. I know the big proponent of the HH method is Kevin Kruger, and I have to say he is right on with his observations
icon_smile.gif

Back