Smoking Tomatoes

I do not so much smoke them ,but kind of smoke bake them for a dish we were introduced to back in the 80s. Wash, core the tomatoes place in a oven safe dish and smoke,bake at a low 200-250 for about 1 to 1.5 hours. Serve with steak,chicken,pork steak , over a bed of rice. The smoke ,bake tomatoes develop a deep flavor that enhances the meat.

Ya I was moreso looking for smoking rather than drying them. I did a bunch yesterday after some ribs and they turned out ok. Almost turned to liquid and were very mushy. Very tasty though and threw them in a blender and then made some sauce (evoo, onion, garlic, spices, pickled roasted red pepper and the tomatoes). Sauce was very nice with the smokiness.

Ya I was moreso looking for smoking rather than drying them. I did a bunch yesterday after some ribs and they turned out ok. Almost turned to liquid and were very mushy. Very tasty though and threw them in a blender and then made some sauce (evoo, onion, garlic, spices, pickled roasted red pepper and the tomatoes). Sauce was very nice with the smokiness.
Yes I have made them mushy to put over the rive as a gravy, but also we put a bunch on the WSM with like 4 or 5 bug chicks of oak or hickory and smoked till soft the used to make spaghetti sauce, or a taco sauce. Great flavors, do with some different types of peppers and onions adds nice smokey touch to what ever you have in mind.

You might want to check out one of these. I have one and use it to cold smoke cheese ( haven't tried it on tomatoes) but I think it should work.
You can use pellets or sawdust. I have a few bags of dust from smokinlicious.

Tim

If you're just trying to apply smoke flavor and not cook them or dry them, then cold smoking is the way to go and using one of the pellet smoke generators referenced above by timothy or the pellet tube I used in the Smoked Cheese article is the way to go. As for wood flavor, I'd try oak or pecan.

Living in Michigan, we have a significant amount of fruit trees, I use a lot of cherry and am trying to source some peach with not a lot of luck, yet.
With regard to tomatoes, I actually like a little pecan. I do a super simple roasted tomato soup by halving or 1/4ing tomatoes toss with olive oil some peeled garlic cloves and then roast on a foil lined sheet pan. Transferor a processor with some basil leaves and smooth, thin with chicken stock or water, if necessary. Adjust salt and pepper and darned near drink the stuff!
Happy tomato season!

Back