Smoking "ready to cook" uncooked ham

Kent

TVWBB Member
I have a 10lb spiral sliced shank half uncooked cured ham from the Safeway. It says it's mildly smoked. I'll bet Safeway used liquid smoke! I'd like to smoke it at 225-250F in the WSM over water for several hours and then cook at about 300-325F after the water has evaporated. I could complete the 325F baking in the oven for last 1.5hr or so. I'd bake to 145-150F and rest it after to bring the internal temp. to 155F.
Have any done this? Any thoughts? Any potential problems?

Thanks
Thanks very much

Given that the ham was previously heated to around 140F but not all the way to 160F you may not impart much flavour smoking it further. You may be best to make life easy and toss it in a 350F oven and put your efforts into preparing a tasty glaze (fruit works really well with ham).

My 2 cents.

i've done several. the smoking in a smoker will add a bit more "smoke". i use either pecan or apple. but yea, keep the temp in the 275 area and cook till its about 155 or so internally. hard to really mess up. glaze as suggested can be added at the last 10 min or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
Given that the ham was previously heated to around 140F </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think "ready to cook" hams have been heated at all. I'm starting from raw.

Ready to cook is pretty ambiguous. You noted that it was already spiral sliced and had been smoked which would generally indicate partial cookingnat some point.
If you have a truly raw, spiral sliced ham, cook it around 325 until 150-160F. Smoke it carefully as ham can easily be oversmoked, especially if sliced exposing more surface area. Still, focus on the rub, mop, glaze etc... for the final flavour hint. The actual cooking part is a no brainer.

Ready-to-cook hams are partially cooked. This could have be done during light smoking or in another way. They're not raw but they are not cooked and ready-to-eat either.

You can smoke it much like you'd smoke a ham you cured yourself. If large (i.e., thick) keep the temps moderate, in the 250-275 range, so as not to overcook the exterior before the interior gets done if you want to smoke it for a while, or cook no higher than 325. Once you hit ~147-150 you can start glazing, if you wish. When the glaze is set the ham is done.

For what it is worth..years ago I used to have a Christmas Party every year and would buy 2 Farmer Johns 20 pound whole "smoked" hams from Safeway. I had a Brinkman electric water smoker and smoked them with hickory 1 hour per pound. Had dozens of people tell me it was the best ham they had ever had.

I was looking for Anttis ham post. But the pics dont work in the post. He smoked a raw bone in ham overnight and it looked awsome.

I smoked a "ready-to-eat" Ham here.

Back